Microsoft office for IPAD

Old 12-29-2023, 08:47 AM

The subscription model is where utility software is going. It's a recurring charge, but everything is automatic, updates, bug fixes, etc. I fought it for a long time, but because I am still working, and collaborating with hundreds of people, I have to have the latest version. Nothing worse than receiving a file in an updated version and you cannot open it. I don't think a 3 year old program will be of much use anymore. On the other hand, if you don't mind "tinkering" with your devices and software to keep them compatible, you can save a few bucks.
Old 12-29-2023, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Microsoft 365 is worth the cost to me because I have 400GB of music files that use almost half of the allowable 1TB storage, and they are accessible from anywhere. The OneDrive cloud storage backs up everything I do automatically. Also, I have a smart phone, a tablet, a laptop, and a desktop, where I can use the latest versions of the MS Office software.
Old 12-29-2023, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Wait till you try to print it? Maybe new can of worms ?
Old 12-29-2023, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
We have no use for the cloud storage and the associated yearly fees, we both have single price installs, mine went for over 10 years before they stopped support, hers has several years left on it. The MS website indicates their software can be transferred to new computers. While the W10/11 versions are different between windows and apple products, it is my understanding the license is transferrable between the brands.
Generally, when you buy software, it is for one flavor of an OS. e.g. Linux, Windows, iOS, etc. You bought a license for the Windows version of Office, so my guess is you'll need to buy an iOS license.
Old 12-29-2023, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Microsoft 365 is worth the cost to me because I have 400GB of music files that use almost half of the allowable 1TB storage, and they are accessible from anywhere. The OneDrive cloud storage backs up everything I do automatically. Also, I have a smart phone, a tablet, a laptop, and a desktop, where I can use the latest versions of the MS Office software.

Agreed. Not to mention it’s inexpensive. I get mine from Costco (15 months for $89) and it can be shared with family members. Can’t beat the price.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9809.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	101936  
Old 12-29-2023, 02:08 PM
Default Try Apple Help

Quote:
I spent 1/2 hour+ on chat with MS and finally gave up.

My wife got a new IPAD to replace a W10 PC, she wants Office on the new PC, there should be a way to download the apple version of office and use her existing KEY to activate the product. MS chat had no idea of how to do this, so if any one can help, please let me know. Will pay for onsite help.
Thank you.
Try calling Apple Help at 800-275-2273. They should be able to help you.
Old 12-29-2023, 04:48 PM
Default office

search for a cheap office 2016
Old 12-29-2023, 05:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaaina View Post
As earlier response stated, the iPad will have Apple's Pages and Numbers programs installed. I had to switch over to these when my very old version of MS Office for the Mac would not run on my new MacBook Air. It took a bit of getting used to. I used MS Office on Macs since 2004, but I am comfortable with Pages and Numbers now. Your old Excel and Word file will open with Numbers and Pages and, when necessary, you can save your new files as .xlsx and .docx by export to provide to PC users.
Will numbers properly convert and run fairly sophisticated excel spreadsheets that have lots of formulas, data table lookups, and macros embedded in the spreadsheet?
Old 12-29-2023, 05:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgirl1031 View Post
Try calling Apple Help at 800-275-2273. They should be able to help you.
Unless something has changed, you cannot transfer a product key from Windows to Mac (Apple iOS), other than 365, but that’s not really a “transfer”.

Redirecting
Old 12-30-2023, 12:44 AM

I had ms excel app on my ipad … but it was really not nearly as capable as excel on windows. And some excel spreadsheets would not fully load on the ipad. But that was a couple of years ago. I do not know the present state.

I now use Apples “numbers” app on my ipad (free and comes installed). It is very capable, but there is a learning curve if you are coming from excel. The way you accomplish tasks in “numbers” is just different. It can not open existing excel docs.

I also use Apples “pages” app as a word processor on my ipad (free & already installed). Again very capable, but has a learning curve.

There are lots of tutorials on youtube for the apple apps. I rarely use my windows desktop now, because I have slowly learned how to accomplish everything i need on my ipads.

On my Windows desktop, I have been using “open office” for years. Its free. It is able to open/manipulate microsoft office documents without problem. It is a very solid program and can handle any of my complex excel spreadsheets that i have from my previous worklife. It can also save documents in native microsoft format, so MS Office can continue to be used if desired.
Old 12-30-2023, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

ALL,

Thank you for the replies, it turns out my wife already knows about many of these options, so I am going to let her determine what she wants to do, but this was great discussion, and I have learned a lot.
Old 12-31-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I spent 1/2 hour+ on chat with MS and finally gave up.

My wife got a new IPAD to replace a W10 PC, she wants Office on the new PC, there should be a way to download the apple version of office and use her existing KEY to activate the product. MS chat had no idea of how to do this, so if any one can help, please let me know. Will pay for onsite help.
Thank you.
First I have to tell you that I am very ignorant about this stuff. Do you ever get to the Marion Market? If you walk in the front door and turn left immediately, walk down a few vendors, on your left you will see a two computer guys there. They are very honest. We once bought a laptop plus the extended warranty from an office supply box store. A few months later the lap top had issues. To make a long story short they didn't honor the warranty and wanted $200 to run diagnostics to find out what was wrong. My husband and I took the laptop to the computer folks at the Marion Market and for $20 and five or ten minutes we were happily on our way.

Tags
office, ipad, chat, microsoft, idea

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.