Microsoft office for IPAD

Old 12-29-2023, 05:04 AM

You can get 100GB of storage on Google for $20 / year. Google Sheets, Google Docs, Forms, etc. can probably replace your use of Word and Excel on at least these platforms
  • PC
  • Mac
  • iPhone
  • Android
  • Chromebook

On top of that, Docs (Word equivalent) and Sheets (Excel equivalent) are collaborative products. You can elect to share editable copies with others and work on them at the same time. You can also share in comment-only, or view-only mode.

I think you can also use the products without the Google One account, in which case the documents will reside only on your device unless you share them.

You can try them for free. I quit using Microsoft for this stuff about 7 years ago. There also is an enterprise version - Google Workspace - that makes collaboration within an organization easier, but it is not free.
Old 12-29-2023, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
Word and Excel are available (free) as individual apps for the iPad from the Apple App Store.

The Apple equivalents are Pages and Numbers and they should be already loaded on the iPad.
It’s been my experience Pages does not play nice with Microsoft products. Have had trouble with replies from people using pages and trying to edit that in office 365. The formatting is not always compatible between the two products.
Old 12-29-2023, 06:35 AM
Veteran member

I'm sure Jacobs Computer on 301 in Wildwood will be able to help you. Take half hour to go see him.
Old 12-29-2023, 06:57 AM
Default The iPadOS version requires Microsoft 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Buy Microsoft 365 and you can download it on Apple, Mac and Windows. Doubt you can use the existing key
The iPadOS version requires a new license. $70 per year. I use 365 daily. Worth the money.
Old 12-29-2023, 07:13 AM

It appears that you can have the Microsoft Office suite across several platforms as you would like but it’s only available under the 365 subscription rather than standalone as you have. I might be incorrect, but this link at page 6 seems to address that: https://news.microsoft.com/download/...ficeipadrg.pdf

Last edited by HawkinsGuy; 12-29-2023 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2023, 07:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,609 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkinsGuy View Post
It appears that you can have the Microsoft Office suite across several platforms as you would like but it’s only available under the 365 subscription rather than standalone as you have. I might be incorrect, but this link seems to address that: https://news.microsoft.com/download/...ficeipadrg.pdf
That is correct. You pay the subscription, get a MS login, and you have access to MS365 products on all your devices.
Old 12-29-2023, 07:30 AM
Veteran member

Microsoft office runs on Apple products, some say they run better than on windows. Also, you don’t need to buy the office 365 version and pay a yearly fee. I bought office for my Mac for $60 and it’s been working for years with no additional yearly costs.

You can run word and excel on an iPad but you might be limited on what you can do. On my iPads, I use the Apple products instead of word and excel with no restrictions and it’s free. I only use word and excel from office and the next time I will need to buy a new version down the road, I wouldn’t spend another .01 on a Microsoft product and just use the Apple pages and numbers products.
Old 12-29-2023, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

CJS CDKeys sells standalone office for ridiculously low prices. Windows version for 2021 is $23, and the Mac version is $37 (Microsoft Office Home and Business 2021 CD Key for Mac - Instant Delivery at CJS CD Keys). This is a legitimate site - you get a real product key, and all installs are from downloads. I'm a Windows guy, so not sure if the Mac version will also install on an iPad - I know they have different OS's.
Old 12-29-2023, 07:54 AM

As earlier response stated, the iPad will have Apple's Pages and Numbers programs installed. I had to switch over to these when my very old version of MS Office for the Mac would not run on my new MacBook Air. It took a bit of getting used to. I used MS Office on Macs since 2004, but I am comfortable with Pages and Numbers now. Your old Excel and Word file will open with Numbers and Pages and, when necessary, you can save your new files as .xlsx and .docx by export to provide to PC users.
Old 12-29-2023, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I spent 1/2 hour+ on chat with MS and finally gave up.

My wife got a new IPAD to replace a W10 PC, she wants Office on the new PC, there should be a way to download the apple version of office and use her existing KEY to activate the product. MS chat had no idea of how to do this, so if any one can help, please let me know. Will pay for onsite help.
Thank you.
I have MS Office on my Mac Book but I do not believe it will run on an iPad. At least I have never gotten it to run or even show up. Did Apple tell her it would run on the newer iPad?
Old 12-29-2023, 07:56 AM
Default Google is the right choice!

I agree with MrChips - although it was painful at first to give up word and excel I finally took the plunge about 10yrs ago. Most of my existing documents uploaded and converted seamlessly. Maybe a few tweaks required to fix formatting but nothing significant. If you have an average Gmail account you have a basic cloud account FREE. if you need more space you can add for a small price as said by Mr. Chips. If you do have to send it as a word docx for example to someone when you download the file it converts to that format or PDF for anyone to view read.
Google products are really so simple and intuitive. They work on all apple products. I am so glad I made the change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
I have several documents that I share with my spouse, also some that is shared between multiple family members. Nice that any of us can update these documents from any of our own computers or smartphones at any time. Actually I can update them using voice if I wanted to. Great for shared grocery lists, coordinating a potluck dinner, and of course Docs and Sheets work great for standard document/spreadsheet stuff.
Old 12-29-2023, 08:01 AM

I have Microsoft 365 and there is an app for the iPad, which I’ve downloaded and use . I use the same sign-in for my iPad as I do for my PC. I’ve never had to pay any extra.
Old 12-29-2023, 08:05 AM
Default You can't

That's correct. I believe that there was a version you could download from the Apple app store if your iPad screen was less than 10.1"...or it used to be. Otherwise it is not transferable to an iPad unless you have the subscription.

Scroll down on this link from Amazon where Microsoft put a three column description of which licensing includes office iPad.

Amazon.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
You wont be able to transfer the software to an iPad. Only way to get MS on iPad is with MS 365.
Old 12-29-2023, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR33 View Post
Correct, windows and Mac do not play together with the same software. See one thread i found from a search. Hope this helps

Redirecting
NOT true. I have both MS Office for Mac and Apple's suite of Pages, Numbers and Keynote which are just as good if not better than MS products. AND they are free on every Apple Mac, iPad and iPhone. They already exist on OP new iPad. Of if you must, purchase MS Office 365. Waste of money in my opinion.
Old 12-29-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
Word and Excel are available (free) as individual apps for the iPad from the Apple App Store.

The Apple equivalents are Pages and Numbers and they should be already loaded on the iPad.
Yes they are FREE to download but will prompt you to login to be able to edit/create documents.

Tags
office, ipad, chat, microsoft, idea

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.