Microsoft Office Printing Issue

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2023, 10:23 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts
Default Microsoft Office Printing Issue

I have a Microsoft Office program containing Excel, Word and Power Point. I bought the software package years ago and it lists at Microsoft Office 2007.

It has long since not been supported by Microsoft updates but still worked, and I can install on my updated computers since I have the disc and keycode.

I do not use it often, but when needed create spreadsheet calendars, powerpoint presentations word documents using that as opposed to paying for Microsoft 365.

Problem Tried to create new Excel document with color text in some cells and some with color background on cells. Color no longer shows when printing copy. All shows in "gray".

Have a rather new HP inkjet printer with HP ink cartridges (all full) and working for all other requirements. ie printing from internet, photos etc. Tried to print some old Excel Files, Powerpoint, and Word Files, that I had created with color and they also do not work anymore.

I googled the problem and get comments to check the print options and to turn off the option for grayscale printing. But that option is not turned on.

Any suggestions? Reload the 2007 Disc, try on other printers, send to email.

I thought that print options such as grayscale were individually chosen for each document. How could that suddenly change for all EXcel, Powerpoint, and Word Files?

Thoughts,
Thanks,
JED
Old 09-20-2023, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
I have a Microsoft Office program containing Excel, Word and Power Point. I bought the software package years ago and it lists at Microsoft Office 2007.

It has long since not been supported by Microsoft updates but still worked, and I can install on my updated computers since I have the disc and keycode.

I do not use it often, but when needed create spreadsheet calendars, powerpoint presentations word documents using that as opposed to paying for Microsoft 365.

Problem Tried to create new Excel document with color text in some cells and some with color background on cells. Color no longer shows when printing copy. All shows in "gray".

Have a rather new HP inkjet printer with HP ink cartridges (all full) and working for all other requirements. ie printing from internet, photos etc. Tried to print some old Excel Files, Powerpoint, and Word Files, that I had created with color and they also do not work anymore.

I googled the problem and get comments to check the print options and to turn off the option for grayscale printing. But that option is not turned on.

Any suggestions? Reload the 2007 Disc, try on other printers, send to email.

I thought that print options such as grayscale were individually chosen for each document. How could that suddenly change for all EXcel, Powerpoint, and Word Files?

Thoughts,
Thanks,
JED
Can you save your Office files in the new format such as .docx versus .doc ? If not, your newer printer may not be working well with the old Office file format. In that case, you might search for an alternative printer driver. You could also ask HP support or their online support community.

A workaround might be to save the Office file in PDF format and then print the PDF file.

A more certain solution is abandon Office 2007 and use a free alternative such as Google Sheets/Google Docs (online) or LibreOffice (local installation)
Old 09-20-2023, 06:42 AM

Have you tried printing in color from a different program/app? Maybe it's the printer and has nothing to do with MSOffice.
Old 09-20-2023, 06:45 AM

In the print dialog that pops up, check for a "print in black and white" checkbox.
Might have to look in the excel popup, and the printer properties one.
Old 09-20-2023, 08:00 AM

The first thing I would try is printing a color photo using your computer.
If it doesn't print in color you can be quite sure the issue has nothing to do with Microsoft Office.
Old 09-20-2023, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

I have never had an HP printer, but I agree with many of the previous suggestions, if you still cannot get a color print, go to a photo print program or app, and when you select print, check:
1. Do you have the correct printer selected
2. Is it set for COLOR printing
3. Check ALL of the options in the PRINT menu to make sure there is not some other option to default to black and white

If all else fails, call HP and ask them what is going on, it might be that the printer is reporting an error in one of the cartridges, and forcing the black and white printing.
Old 09-20-2023, 01:58 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8xwb View Post
The first thing I would try is printing a color photo using your computer.
If it doesn't print in color you can be quite sure the issue has nothing to do with Microsoft Office.
I tried to print a photo and it too is grayscale. Internet documents still print in color so I agree it is not Microsoft Office. I know that the cartridges are real HP since I signed up for HP Print. They monitor my usage and send cartridges when required. Starting to point at a printer problem.

Thanks for your advice. I will contact HP.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I tried to print a photo and it too is grayscale. Internet documents still print in color so I agree it is not Microsoft Office. I know that the cartridges are real HP since I signed up for HP Print. They monitor my usage and send cartridges when required. Starting to point at a printer problem.

Thanks for your advice. I will contact HP.
Print drivers have an an option to FORCE mono printing.
Hit ctrl P.
Find the "Print using system dialog" and click that.
Look for either a check box for BW printing, or a pulldown for color\mono.
Old 09-20-2023, 06:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,520 Times in 3,108 Posts

I just re-read your OP - there sounds like a communications problem between the printer and the computer. Office2007 is absolutely not supported anymore and if you're printing other things with full color, then there's really nothing you can do other than either upgrade your MS Office, or use a different software suite. I use LibreOffice instead of MS Office, because it's free, it's supported, it is upgraded and updated regularly, has robust help files, and it's open source.
Old 09-20-2023, 08:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I just re-read your OP - there sounds like a communications problem between the printer and the computer. Office2007 is absolutely not supported anymore and if you're printing other things with full color, then there's really nothing you can do other than either upgrade your MS Office, or use a different software suite. I use LibreOffice instead of MS Office, because it's free, it's supported, it is upgraded and updated regularly, has robust help files, and it's open source.
Solved problem with HP tech help on line. Why the problem came up I still do not know. But an update to the printer that essentially has it automatically update print options to latest configuration. My guess is that an update was performed that caused the problem and it was found that the update had a flaw.(I'm not sure that is exactly what they said, but they solved the problem.

So my Office 2007 still works.

Thanks for all comments.
Old 09-21-2023, 06:32 AM

Try saving file into Google Sheets (for excel) or Google Word (For Docs) should be able to print from there.
Old 09-21-2023, 07:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Solved problem with HP tech help on line. Why the problem came up I still do not know. But an update to the printer that essentially has it automatically update print options to latest configuration. My guess is that an update was performed that caused the problem and it was found that the update had a flaw.(I'm not sure that is exactly what they said, but they solved the problem.

So my Office 2007 still works.

Thanks for all comments.
Thank you for posting the solution.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-21-2023, 02:06 PM

If nothing else, you can get a copy of Office 2021 for less than $50 (download. Requires windows 10).

I am going to hold out as long as I can and not buy the Office 365 subscription, which I think is a scam.
Closed Thread

Tags
microsoft, color, word, printing, excel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.