Switching from Windows to Mac Laptop

Closed Thread
Old 05-06-2016, 03:00 PM
Default Switching from Windows to Mac Laptop

My HP laptop is 3 years old and has started acting up with the mouse jumping all over the page by itself and changing everything it touches. I'm considering replacing it with a MacBook. I would have to buy Office for it so that I can transfer my files from the old to new one. I have an iPad and iPhone and have found Safari to be frustrating. Does it act differently on a computer than on a smaller device? The price is considerable higher than on a Windows product and I wonder if it is worth the difference. Also, will I tear out my hair trying to make the switch in operating systems? I know their support is wonderful, but it is a long trip to the Apple Store at the malls. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:27 PM
Veteran member

First I'd ask is it an external mouse or a laptop trackpad that you're having trouble with. If it's a trackpad, an inexpensive external USB mouse might be a cheap solution (if that's your only reason for changing.)

Probably the most important question I would have you answer is, "are there any programs that you currently use on your PC that you couldn't live without and for which there are no comparable Mac programs?" That can be a deal breaker. The current version of Office/Mac is not much different than the PC version, assuming you don't need Microsoft Access (the database component.) You haven't mentioned any other programs.

Since you have an iPad and an iPhone, you'll certainly appreciate the synergies that are available between those and a Mac laptop.

As far as Safari, yes, it's easier to use than on your iPad or iPhone. Still a bit quirky, perhaps, but a lot depends upon what you're used to using for a browser. And you certainly could consider switching browsers to something like Chrome on all your devices, if Safari isn't your cup of tea.

Finally, there are some Apple/Mac support groups in the Villages that could be very helpful in the transition. Check the Rec News for info.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:41 PM

There is Firefox for Mac and iPhone and iPad now...I would not switch (cant for work though)
Old 05-06-2016, 07:15 PM
Gold member

Only 3 yrs old?
I'd just fix the mouse problem...
Old 05-06-2016, 07:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Only 3 yrs old?
I'd just fix the mouse problem...
Pretty good advice if you like your current laptop.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

I have used MMD computer repair, very close to the intersection of 441 and 466. They were very good and reasonable for replacing a keyboard on a laptop, fixed it while I waited! If you are actually using a mouse, this may just be dust in the mechanism. If it is wireless, check the battery, I use a wireless mouse all the time, and it can get intermittent if I do not notice the red indicator.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I use an external mouse and the jumping happens with or without it. If I take out the dongle, the touchpad doesn't respond either. The only solution I've found is to shut it down with the power button. I can't get either mouse to stay on the right spot to shut it down the correct way. After rebooting, I works just fine. I certainly expected to have it for longer than three years. I have already replaced the battery to the tune of $150.00. The laptop is actually a Sony Vaio. My last computer was HP. I'll try MMD to see if they have a solution.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I use an external mouse and the jumping happens with or without it. If I take out the dongle, the touchpad doesn't respond either. The only solution I've found is to shut it down with the power button. I can't get either mouse to stay on the right spot to shut it down the correct way. After rebooting, I works just fine. I certainly expected to have it for longer than three years. I have already replaced the battery to the tune of $150.00. The laptop is actually a Sony Vaio. My last computer was HP. I'll try MMD to see if they have a solution.
Makes NO sense... I bet dirty mouse. $15 fix w/ a new mouse.

(edit - wait, do you have a touch screen?)????
Old 05-06-2016, 09:02 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
My HP laptop is 3 years old and has started acting up with the mouse jumping all over the page by itself and changing everything it touches. I'm considering replacing it with a MacBook. I would have to buy Office for it so that I can transfer my files from the old to new one. I have an iPad and iPhone and have found Safari to be frustrating. Does it act differently on a computer than on a smaller device? The price is considerable higher than on a Windows product and I wonder if it is worth the difference. Also, will I tear out my hair trying to make the switch in operating systems? I know their support is wonderful, but it is a long trip to the Apple Store at the malls. Thanks for any suggestions.
I would not use Safari, but try Foxfire or Chrome as your browser. It sounds like a mouse problem for sure. I would not give up my Android for Apple, but they are becoming more and more interchangeable...

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2016, 06:34 AM

Yes, I do have a touch screen. It didn't respond when I tried to use it to shut down. This is an intermittent problem and I have no idea what sets it off.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Yes, I do have a touch screen. It didn't respond when I tried to use it to shut down. This is an intermittent problem and I have no idea what sets it off.
I would struggle with getting rid of anything that is only 3 years old but if you wish to treat yourself then buy yourself a Mac. Yes they are expensive and it takes several days for a person to absorb the entire new experience and a month for all computer moves to be instinctive. If you want a computer that doesn't make you a slave to figuring things out constantly then spend the
extra money and pull the trigger...you won't regret it. Apple gives you the updates and installs them easily no charge. The stock took a dive yesterday...maybe you buying at the best time?
Old 05-07-2016, 07:21 AM
Platinum member

This is a great video to help you make the switch. Learn the MAC In Under 90 Minutes 2015 Yosemite Edition - YouTube
Tampa, FL
Old 05-07-2016, 08:22 AM
Gold member

If it was my problem, I would spend the $15, and try a new mouse.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:02 PM

It could be a driver problem, or a bad connection somewhere.

The first thing I would do is try enabling or disabling your touch pad by going to control panel. If your touch pad is enabled, disable it. If it is disabled, enable it.

Your touch pad could be giving phantom movement. If it is enabled, disabling it could stop the phantom movement.

If that does not solve the problem, the next thing would be to do the same enable/disable with the touch screen.

Wayne Sallee
Wayne@WayneSallee.com
Old 05-09-2016, 09:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Wait a min. I clicked on an article about "Tipping" & it goes to this, computer problems, what the.........!
Closed Thread

Tags
windows, laptop, difference, worth, tear

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.