Need a new browser

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2016, 10:23 AM
Sage

What are you using for virus protection?
click here

I trust microsoft. You cannot use more than 1 anti-virus program. They think the other is a virus.
I have windows 8, so I'm not sure if they keep up security essentials. look it up.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I use the latest version of Firefox (downloaded from mozilla.org) and have never had that problem with my Windows 7 Toshiba laptop.

However... there is a new problem playing You Tube with Firefox. I heard they have partnered with You Tube to use a certain video player, which constantly buffers. I googled it, and you have to tell Firefox to use Flash instead. I'm not quite sure how to do that, so waiting for my techie son to do it in March.

You might want to try Chrome. But I love Firefox and rarely have problems with it. I look forward to my son fixing the You Tube problem.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:18 PM

Well, My earlier post around 10AM said how slow etc my laptop is. Guess what, now it is 4 PM and it happily zipping along. Maybe my problem is with Comcast. Bill
Old 01-27-2016, 08:04 AM

Vista?? Why? Try Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge browser. Vista is long outdated and NO LONGER SUPPORTED. Your computer will behave badly since no one worries about making their program work on Vista.

Always go to latest and greatest (once stability is proven of course).
Old 01-27-2016, 09:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

I am a Chrome use. IE just started giving me too many problems.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I have used Firefox for years. Any comments about Google Chrome?
The only thing I have heard negative about Chrome is that it is a HUGE program.

I have one of the early solid state laptops (Toshiba Portege), and Firefox suits me fine and takes up less space. My Toshiba does not have a gazillion gigabytes.

I could be wrong, of course.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
The only thing I have heard negative about Chrome is that it is a HUGE program.

I have one of the early solid state laptops (Toshiba Portege), and Firefox suits me fine and takes up less space. My Toshiba does not have a gazillion gigabytes.

I could be wrong, of course.
I think you are. Chrome is very stable. Firefox is also wonderful.

A chromebook works a little like your vista and firefox set-up. It's just enough of an operating system to use for what you really want to use, Firefox.

Sooner or later it will die. The hard drive is a motor and the fan in the power supply is also is on a motor. All motors wear out.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I think you are. Chrome is very stable. Firefox is also wonderful.

A chromebook works a little like your vista and firefox set-up. It's just enough of an operating system to use for what you really want to use, Firefox.

Sooner or later it will die. The hard drive is a motor and the fan in the power supply is also is on a motor. All motors wear out.
I was referring to memory hogging, and Chrome wins that race. From an ITPRO article last November, regarding Chrome:

That doesn’t mean it’s good, however. Overall, it’s still the most memory-hungry browser we tested, beating IE by a hair’s breadth. Firefox was considerably less demanding than either, tying up an average of 412,000KB compared to the almost 600,000kb eaten up by Chrome and IE.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I was referring to memory hogging, and Chrome wins that race. From an ITPRO article last November, regarding Chrome:

That doesn’t mean it’s good, however. Overall, it’s still the most memory-hungry browser we tested, beating IE by a hair’s breadth. Firefox was considerably less demanding than either, tying up an average of 412,000KB compared to the almost 600,000kb eaten up by Chrome and IE.
This might be a fix:
Why Chrome Uses So Much Freaking RAM

That is if you like Chrome in the first place.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:50 AM

I use Chrome and IE11, and I prefer Chrome for most things. In my business I have programmed an app to work on clients browsers and I have recommended they use Chrome, due to less problems. It's a free download, why not just try it and see what you think, assuming you have enough room on your hard drive.
Closed Thread

Tags
browser, vista, home, firefox, websites, longer, ie9, access, suitable, upgraded, prefer, error, downloaded, site, ninite, version, left, trial, hoity-toity, pack, upgrade, order, continue, viewing, support

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.