Neverware O/S

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2016, 07:33 AM
Default Neverware O/S

There is a new operating system available for older and newer PC's.It is a Chromium based O/S that basically turns your pc into a fast Chromebook.The requirements are: 32 gigs of hard drive space and at least 2 gigs of ram.I installed it on one of my laptops.The install was fast and easy.It will erase everything on your hard drive but you can partition your HDD and dual boot it,or make it portable on a flash drive.When it boots up it's very plain and simple.You can then customize it with apps from the Chromium Store like printing apps add your favorite pictures and surf the web without worries of viruses because it is web based and cannot get viruses or malware.Here's the link:Neverware
Old 04-22-2016, 12:39 PM

For supposedly being "Secure" there is sure a whole lot of chatter from the OS to Google. Match that to the fact you cant run Office and tons of other Windows ap's on it. Seems to be the solution to the problem no one had.

As I have said before, if you expect your OS to protect you from the Internet, you are living in a fools paradise.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberschaf View Post
Chromium Store like printing apps add your favorite pictures and surf the web without worries of viruses because it is web based and cannot get viruses or malware.[/url]

LOL, how did I miss that? Half of the apps in the "Store" IS Malware, Adware, and tracking ware...wow...just wow (oh, and you no longer own your own data or where it goes...)

Last edited by Record10ti; 04-22-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:45 PM

For being "secure" and supposedly light weight...I installed two versions, one on HyperV the other VM as guest OS. Their own NIC's (not a bridge) and their own gateways, IP ranges and path to the internet...seems they were pretty busy for "doing nothing"...only 18 intrusions detected....again, I was running no aps...so it only gets worse from here.

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting Image - Image did not show in the markup for some reason

The Villages Florida
Old 04-22-2016, 05:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record10ti View Post
For being "secure" and supposedly light weight...I installed two versions, one on HyperV the other VM as guest OS. Their own NIC's (not a bridge) and their own gateways, IP ranges and path to the internet...seems they were pretty busy for "doing nothing"...only 18 intrusions detected....again, I was running no aps...so it only gets worse from here.

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting Image - Image did not show in the markup for some reason

The Villages Florida
So...are you recommending it?
Old 04-22-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
So...are you recommending it?
I can not figure out what a benefit is. Google (Owner of Chrome) pulls no punches that they will collect your data, images, contacts, and internet history. By definition Google and its App's are NOT compliant with Federal Laws as related to Patient Health Information (nor SOx). (more is clear if you know what PHI is and read their BA contracts)

It can not run many applications that most of us want to run. And, no internet, no "stuff" (I will keep my data local thank you).

So, like I said - the solution to the problem no one had. There will some ubergeeks out there who are hell bent on "Anything but Microsoft", and what ever. The theory that this is "hack proof", "virus proof" and what ever proof is simply uninformed.

As for the scans my Intrusion Detection and Security hardware saw...for a latent OS with no users the numbers were off of the charts. The item in particular is the "Intrusions Detected" and prevented in the image. More often that not in a patched copy of Windows 10, with no web interface open - that number is 0 for days and days. I do know the exact weakness but that is huge geek speak stuff (and what port the traffic from Googles Name Servers it is on).

So, no - I would not recommend it. Even more so with how inexpensive Chrome books are.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:37 PM
Default Chromebooks

I had a few Chromebooks and I learned to like them. I finally decided to get the Google Pixel. Not cheap, but it's a great machine. I firmly believe the Chromebook is a perfect solution for most, especially Villagers. I have no idea what some of the gibberish is in this thread, but for everyday use the Chromebook is perfect. I'm a techie guy and still need a few things, but most people don't.

I boot up a Windows system every 2-3 weeks now. I'm hoping soon that'll be even more rare.

One quick comment on Google, privacy, and security. The Chromebook can't be much more secure, you can't download executables. Viruses and Malware don't exist. Even if you did run into a problem, it's a simple one-click to rest to factory image. A few mins later everything is back to normal. It's true that comes at a cost. Google backs everything up. But I believe they have a lot to lose if they violate our trust.

On the other hand, I'd worry more about the cell phone carriers and cable companies. Think about it, everything you do goes through them. Comcast, Verizon, etc. There's always the rogue employee. But remember, Snowden told us how they all have secret network rooms for the NSA to capture every byte going across the line.

I'm still holding hope for American Freedoms, but more and more it looks like it's just a matter of time when any desk clerk at the local police dept can query the national database for your phone conversations, emails, and google searches from yesterday. I guess 1984 was just a little late.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal :-) View Post
I'm still holding hope for American Freedoms, but more and more it looks like it's just a matter of time when any desk clerk at the local police dept can query the national database for your phone conversations, emails, and google searches from yesterday. I guess 1984 was just a little late.

If the conspiracy nuts would only read up on IPv6.......and then look at what is being stored....scary.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:29 PM

I am the op.I am surprised at people thinking that a program as simple as google that tracks your surfing can lead to data mining of your personal data.Your banking is done on their secure website.Nothing is stored on your computer.If you don't see a green padlock in the ulr bar then you are not at your bank.And to the rest of you par·a·noid people- get over it. Eagles - Get Over It (With Lyrics) - YouTube
Old 05-05-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
I am the op.I am surprised at people thinking that a program as simple as google that tracks your surfing can lead to data mining of your personal data.Your banking is done on their secure website.Nothing is stored on your computer.If you don't see a green padlock in the ulr bar then you are not at your bank.And to the rest of you par·a·noid people- get over it. Eagles - Get Over It (With Lyrics) - YouTube
Never did infer they track your personal data (Balance), they do however track WHERE YOU GO - and then, sell that information (tracking coolies? Eh?). How on earth do you think that you get ad's that you are inclined to shop at when you are on FoxNews????? Presuming of course you are on IE and even more so Chrome (I prefer Tor, thanks). But, at least if you have AdBlockPlus (or similar) you do not see the ad's - but, they are there -and yes...you are tracked.

But, if you use (for instance) the TV's mobile ap - they want access to everything right down to your CONTACTS and LOCATION (among other items of a personal nature).

So, you are patently incorrect (with all due respect).

(Oh, and I am leaving "fraudware" and redirects out of this..)
Old 05-05-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:

Here is your "for instance" - this image is the PC I am on. The ONLY website open is TOTV. Firefox (most current) and AdBlock Plus...nothing more. Each of the items on the left is "another" site potentially. Want to know what they are doing? TRACKING MY ACTIVITY....Get Over It....ignorance is not intelligence.

Oh, and OF COURSE Yahoo! wants you to think they are not tracking you - they are just like Google...duh.

The Villages Florida
Closed Thread

Tags
fast, apps, drive, based, hard, gigs, web, o/s, chromium, viruses, boots, boot, dual, simple.you, customize, it, or, make, flash, plain, portable, drive.when, store, worries, linkhttp://goo.gl/crs0zc, malware.heres

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.