New Computer, or Upgrade Existing Tower?

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2023, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,523 Times in 3,109 Posts
Default New Computer, or Upgrade Existing Tower?

I love my 27" monitor and really don't want an "all in one" computer. My current computer works fine, but for a bad fan that needs replacing. The other two fans are in perfect shape.

Problem is, my computer is -not- upgradable to Win11, and Win10 will no longer be supported this coming year - and some of the "apps" already don't work on it anymore.

I'm thinking - maybe I could get a new hard drive? Or even an SSD? I'd have to buy Win11 but that's cheap enough, I can get the license and download for less than $50. A new SSD I think can run under $200.

That seems a lot more useful to me than spending $600+ for a new tower.

My current computer comes with an older generation Intel i7, and at 2.8ghz is fast enough for my needs.

The computer itself is not a "true" component computer, but it's also not fully integrated. So I can swap out the hard drive, I'm pretty sure the motherboard is easily removable, I've already reseated the heat sink with new thermal paste so I know that's doable (thanks to villagetinker for the smear of paste).

It's been SOOOO long since I've worked on a computer other than the heat sink, and my CompTIA A+ certification was from back in the days when DOS was still included with Windows so - I'm really not up to speed on technology anymore.

Does adding an SSD or swapping out for an updated hard drive sound like the right move here? Or should I get rid of my beautiful Acer 27" monitor that's only 2 years old and works great, and go for an all-in-one that's cheaper than $500?

My budget is limited. I can go UP TO $500, no matter which way I go. I'd even consider an "out of box" or certified refurbished tower from Best Buy, but it needs to be a new(er) model computer if I go that route instead.

I -will not- buy a Dell. I wouldn't even take on if someone gave it to me. I prefer HP, but I'm not opposed to Acer, Asu, MSI, or even Lenovo.

I prefer a computer that comes with a dvd r/w and it must have a card reader.

Suggestions, things to watch out for, things to avoid, can my idea of keeping my tower and upgrading it work?
Old 04-28-2023, 07:33 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I love my 27" monitor and really don't want an "all in one" computer. My current computer works fine, but for a bad fan that needs replacing. The other two fans are in perfect shape.

Problem is, my computer is -not- upgradable to Win11, and Win10 will no longer be supported this coming year - and some of the "apps" already don't work on it anymore.

I'm thinking - maybe I could get a new hard drive? Or even an SSD? I'd have to buy Win11 but that's cheap enough, I can get the license and download for less than $50. A new SSD I think can run under $200.

My current computer comes with an older generation Intel i7, and at 2.8ghz is fast enough for my needs.

The computer itself is not a "true" component computer, but it's also not fully integrated. So I can swap out the hard drive, I'm pretty sure the motherboard is easily removable, I've already reseated the heat sink with new thermal paste so I know that's doable (thanks to villagetinker for the smear of paste).

It's been SOOOO long since I've worked on a computer other than the heat sink, and my CompTIA A+ certification was from back in the days when DOS was still included with Windows so - I'm really not up to speed on technology anymore.

Does adding an SSD or swapping out for an updated hard drive sound like the right move here? Or should I get rid of my beautiful Acer 27" monitor that's only 2 years old and works great, and go for an all-in-one that's cheaper than $500?

My budget is limited. I can go UP TO $500, no matter which way I go. I'd even consider an "out of box" or certified refurbished tower from Best Buy, but it needs to be a new(er) model computer if I go that route instead.

I -will not- buy a Dell. I wouldn't even take on if someone gave it to me. I prefer HP, but I'm not opposed to Acer, Asu, MSI, or even Lenovo.

Suggestions, things to watch out for, things to avoid, can my idea of keeping my tower and upgrading it work?
So many leaders in the computer club can help you, not make your decision, but, since retiring from the tech industry, these folks who lead the club and are on the board are up to date with every new innovation, models, versions, of desk top, towers, etc. as well as cell phones, tablets, etc. So helpful, so open to helping even if not a regular member !
Old 04-28-2023, 07:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:

If your current computer cannot be upgraded to Windows 11, I don't think you can buy Windows 11 and install it. I think your motherboard would not have the proper firmware to accept a new Windows 11 software program. I would suggest buying a new tower, but it doesn't appear that your budget would be sufficient.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:18 PM
Gold member

Windows 10 has until 2025 before it's not supported:
when will windows 10 support end - Google Search
Old 04-28-2023, 08:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

I agree, you will need a new mother board with all of the new security chip(s) for anything above W10 to work. I also agree that getting expert advice from the computer club would be a great idea, it has been a long time since I built my last computer, so I am not in a position to help.
You could see who the manufacturer of your current motherboard is, and contact them to see what their 'entry level' W11 or better board would cost, and if any of your current boards would be suitable as well as memory. This would probably be your minimal cost. Next option as mentioned would be a certified rebuilt unit. Upgrading just the hard drive on your existing computer will NOT allow you to upgrade to W11 or later, you will absolutely need the new security chips.
Old 04-28-2023, 09:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I agree, you will need a new mother board with all of the new security chip(s) for anything above W10 to work. I also agree that getting expert advice from the computer club would be a great idea, it has been a long time since I built my last computer, so I am not in a position to help.
You could see who the manufacturer of your current motherboard is, and contact them to see what their 'entry level' W11 or better board would cost, and if any of your current boards would be suitable as well as memory. This would probably be your minimal cost. Next option as mentioned would be a certified rebuilt unit. Upgrading just the hard drive on your existing computer will NOT allow you to upgrade to W11 or later, you will absolutely need the new security chips.
Ah so it's the motherboard, not the hard drive, that I need. This is actually really helpful information. Like I said it's been awhile since I've been certified. I used to build component machines once upon a time for a university tech center. Mostly though I was the software geek of the crew. I'll see about reaching out to the computer club when I'm ready to buy whatever I end up getting. Won't be for another couple of months, but I'm in the "research" process now.
Old 04-29-2023, 07:50 AM
Veteran member

I used to build desktops in the 1990's. For a while you could upgrade them cheaper than by buying a new one. After a while almost every upgrade required all parts to be replaced. The new motherboards had different form factors and required new cases/power supply and usually a different type of ram. Only a few of the cheaper parts could be reused.

For a while it was fun to go to computer shows and read Computer Shopper Magazine to source parts.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:08 AM

You would probably need a memory upgrade in addition to a new and bigger SSD.
Old 04-29-2023, 09:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvillager View Post
You would probably need a memory upgrade in addition to a new and bigger SSD.
Pretty sure the memory is fine. There is no SSD in it, it has a 1TB hard drive and 8gb DDR memory. As I said, the thing works perfectly. It's just that the operating system will not be supported soon (turns out 2025) and some of the programs in it have already upgraded themselves to a point where they are no longer compatible with my computer. Some of them I don't need and can live without. Some of them would be an inconvenience to lose, on the occasion that I actually need to use them.

I tend to keep my electronics devices until they no longer work, there's no need to keep switching for bigger and better just because they're bigger and better. That's something people with disposable incomes do. I'm not one of those people.

Now that I think of it - the graphics card is integrated and it's a legacy. <sigh> Back to having to buy a new computer.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll still talk with the computer club when it's time to ditch my beauty.
Old 04-29-2023, 09:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Another related issue is that whenever you make a hardware change, especially replacing the motherboard, you will need to reactivate Windows because of licensing problems. This could be a real hassle and may require you to call Microsoft to resolve it.
Old 04-29-2023, 01:57 PM

I am an Apple lover so I'm going try and convert you.
Apple is going to introduce new hardware at the WWDC in June and has placed many Macs on sale.
Amazon has a new Mac mini (M2) on sale for $549. 10 core gpu 8core cpu 256GB of SSD storage.
Plug in your monitor, keyboard and mouse and you are set for the next 10 years.
There are Apple clubs in the villages and free apple help from villagers at the paradise rec center twice a month.
If $500 is a hard limit I'm sure that you can find used M1 minis for much less than that.
Software upgrades to the next operating system has always been free. If you have an iPhone or iPad this is a chance to use the full capability of the iPhone.
Old 04-29-2023, 03:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

Since Windows 10 is good for a few more years, and you are happy with your current set-up, why not just get a new fan?
Old 04-29-2023, 03:30 PM

The fans are easily replaced. That may get you a few more years.

If not, I think you should just purchase a new computer. Upgrading is not really realistic because your CPU is the limitation of Windows 11.

One caveat, if you keep your old monitor, you need to verify that it is compatible with your new computer. Modern monitors use mostly HDMI cables to connect to the computer. Older monitors do not have HDMI compatibility. If your current monitor has an HDMI connection, then it will be compatible a new computer. If not, then be careful in selection.

I am a big fan of all-in-one desktop. I have had a Dell all-in-one for 5 years now. Never had a problem and it really frees up desk
Old 04-29-2023, 03:56 PM

I'm sure you already know this but I would just buy a new laptop and connect a second monitor to it. You will still have your 27 inch monitor and the flexibility to take the laptop with you.
Old 04-29-2023, 04:06 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Mark View Post
I'm sure you already know this but I would just buy a new laptop and connect a second monitor to it. You will still have your 27 inch monitor and the flexibility to take the laptop with you.
I totally agree. I swapped in my tower for a laptop and can attach anything I want to it and it takes up so much less room.
Closed Thread

Tags
computer, tower, drive, ssd, buy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.