New Computer, or Upgrade Existing Tower?

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2023, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Since Windows 10 is good for a few more years, and you are happy with your current set-up, why not just get a new fan?
I thought Windows 10 was being phased out THIS year and would be unsupported in 2024. Once that happens, many apps/programs will cease to work on a win10 machine, as those apps update to accommodate the changes in the new OS.

My computer works fine with the single bad fan, as I said it has two other fans that function perfectly. My computer -cannot- upgrade to Win11. It is not compatible with the upgrade, and once Win11 phases Win10 out completely I will have to already have upgraded the computer components, or I'll have to buy a new computer.

Since that isn't happening until 2025, I have time to enjoy the computer I have now.
Old 04-29-2023, 07:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Mark View Post
I'm sure you already know this but I would just buy a new laptop and connect a second monitor to it. You will still have your 27 inch monitor and the flexibility to take the laptop with you.
I already have a laptop. I'll need to replace that too once Win10 is completely phased out, since that is also not upgradable to Win11. I let hubby use the laptop and I just bring it with me when I travel sometimes. I hate laptop keyboards, and the mouse pad, the only reason I have it at all, is because I earned it as a top seller for HP when I used to work at Staples. Two laptops, $100 off this computer, three photo printers, one business printer, around $2000 in Starbucks and Chilis gift cards, and six years worth of free Instant Ink for my printers. I gave most of the devices away as gifts or donated to a local food pantry office.

I'm already hooked up. It's just that everything I have is OLD now, and will soon need replacing. I'm trying to prepare for that.
Old 04-29-2023, 07:18 PM
Sage

Also - I'm not looking for alternative configurations. I have a laptop, a tablet, a cell phone, and a desktop. I have a WIRED old-school USB mechanical keyboard that I'm rather fond of and not interested in replacing. I keep all of my data and most of my apps and programs on a thumb drive and use my hard drive for the OS and a few programs that HP has decided can't be deleted. My laptop is a gaming laptop.

If I were to buy a new laptop just because it's smaller and has windows 11, I'd still need to stick it on the shelf under my desk, use my 27" monitor, and my wired mechanical keyboard, and my bluetooth mouse. (and yes the monitor is HDMI, though I don't have it hooked up that way)

And - similarly to Dell, you can't pay me enough to own an Apple. If I was interested in a new operating system I'd switch to Linux.
Old 04-30-2023, 01:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I thought Windows 10 was being phased out THIS year and would be unsupported in 2024. Once that happens, many apps/programs will cease to work on a win10 machine, as those apps update to accommodate the changes in the new OS.

Since that isn't happening until 2025, I have time to enjoy the computer I have now.
I switched last year to just a laptop and doing so was a lot less trouble than I had feared.

I do miss the bigger screen (24") but somehow the laptop one (15") seems larger than it is - probably because one is closer to it. You can get larger (17"+) although they do cost quite a bit more.

The built-in keyboard is okay for me, but I am not a good typist anyway, but I hate the trackpad and always use a wireless mouse.

I opted for an Acer Aspire as they have been the highest rated "budget" laptops for several years.

Last edited by Arctic Fox; 04-30-2023 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-30-2023, 04:44 AM
Veteran member

Linux is far superior than win 10/11. You can keep an older computer and put any flavor of Linux on it and it will be faster than a new computer running win 10/11.
Every computer should run the OS off a solid state device (ssd or nvme m.2 device). Also, you can run the OS off an external solid state device and then use your internal disk for storage or backup.
Never ever a Microsoft user and never will be
Old 04-30-2023, 04:57 AM

I agree that your whole motherboard needs to be replaced to upgrade to Windows 11. There are PC towers out there you can buy that will work. You can have a DVD/CD player installed in most towers. Just verify that you can install it. You may want to check with Dell or Best Buy for help.
Old 04-30-2023, 05:09 AM

Look at a new mini computer and keep your 27" monitor. Starting around $120 they fit the budget. Add your current keyboard, mouse and monitor and any new components you feel you will need for much less than another large tower unit.
Old 04-30-2023, 05:31 AM

Why not just get the "all in one" computer, then connect your 27" monitor to it. Much easier and it's already upgraded.
Old 04-30-2023, 05:46 AM
Veteran member

I wrote my first program (Fortran IV) in 1969, so I've been around awhile. I too started with DOS (loved it) but was forced to go to Windows when Quicken wouldn't support DOS anymore. I used most of the versions of Windows, but the last one I used was Windows 7. I found Linux a few years before giving up on Windows (which I needed, again for Quicken). Once I switched to Linux Mint Cinnamon, I found it easy to use and it just worked. I didn't need any anti-virus software, all software was free (as was Linux).
I'll never go back to Windows, but I do use a Chromebook most of the time.
Old 04-30-2023, 05:53 AM
Veteran member

suck it up. It's time for a new computer.
Old 04-30-2023, 06:13 AM

Amen to that. I switched to Apple 12+ years ago and have not regretted it. I have only had to replace the battery on my MacBook Air last year. If you have issues, Apple Care is just a phone call away.
Old 04-30-2023, 06:38 AM
Default Wait until 2025

I am waiting until 2025, then will buy a Dell Windows 11 laptop and use an external monitor, kbd, and mouse when at the desk. Not sure why you don't like Dell, but I have had good luck with them.

Optical drives are not a very popular option these days. With cheap or free cloud storage, fast Internet, and cheap flash drives, burning DVDs are kind of old-school.

Replace the fan - you can probably find one on Amazon. In 2025, if you are still around and computers are still a "thing," then bite the bullet and get a Windows 12 (or whatever is the latest) laptop. Save the DVD burner from your desktop if you need one. It can be made an external device with a cheap case.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson View Post
Not sure why you don't like Dell, but I have had good luck with them.
I swore I'd never buy another Acer after my first laptop from them was a disaster, but I really like this one so, yes, it might be best to research a new computer and go with the most suitable, regardless of who makes it.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I love my 27" monitor and really don't want an "all in one" computer. My current computer works fine, but for a bad fan that needs replacing. The other two fans are in perfect shape.

Problem is, my computer is -not- upgradable to Win11, and Win10 will no longer be supported this coming year - and some of the "apps" already don't work on it anymore.

I'm thinking - maybe I could get a new hard drive? Or even an SSD? I'd have to buy Win11 but that's cheap enough, I can get the license and download for less than $50. A new SSD I think can run under $200.

That seems a lot more useful to me than spending $600+ for a new tower.

My current computer comes with an older generation Intel i7, and at 2.8ghz is fast enough for my needs.

The computer itself is not a "true" component computer, but it's also not fully integrated. So I can swap out the hard drive, I'm pretty sure the motherboard is easily removable, I've already reseated the heat sink with new thermal paste so I know that's doable (thanks to villagetinker for the smear of paste).

It's been SOOOO long since I've worked on a computer other than the heat sink, and my CompTIA A+ certification was from back in the days when DOS was still included with Windows so - I'm really not up to speed on technology anymore.

Does adding an SSD or swapping out for an updated hard drive sound like the right move here? Or should I get rid of my beautiful Acer 27" monitor that's only 2 years old and works great, and go for an all-in-one that's cheaper than $500?

My budget is limited. I can go UP TO $500, no matter which way I go. I'd even consider an "out of box" or certified refurbished tower from Best Buy, but it needs to be a new(er) model computer if I go that route instead.

I -will not- buy a Dell. I wouldn't even take on if someone gave it to me. I prefer HP, but I'm not opposed to Acer, Asu, MSI, or even Lenovo.

I prefer a computer that comes with a dvd r/w and it must have a card reader.

Suggestions, things to watch out for, things to avoid, can my idea of keeping my tower and upgrading it work?
Replace the fan, or have it replaced. Download and install Linuxmint from linuxmint.com. Use the full featured “cinnamon” desktop, your computer can handle it. If yo like it, you are done. If not, nothing lost.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:58 AM
Default Computer repair

Go to Office Depot they have a smart young man there who seems very sincere when I asked about repairs on mine. I’m taking mine to him tomorrow

Quote:
I love my 27" monitor and really don't want an "all in one" computer. My current computer works fine, but for a bad fan that needs replacing. The other two fans are in perfect shape.

Problem is, my computer is -not- upgradable to Win11, and Win10 will no longer be supported this coming year - and some of the "apps" already don't work on it anymore.

I'm thinking - maybe I could get a new hard drive? Or even an SSD? I'd have to buy Win11 but that's cheap enough, I can get the license and download for less than $50. A new SSD I think can run under $200.

That seems a lot more useful to me than spending $600+ for a new tower.

My current computer comes with an older generation Intel i7, and at 2.8ghz is fast enough for my needs.

The computer itself is not a "true" component computer, but it's also not fully integrated. So I can swap out the hard drive, I'm pretty sure the motherboard is easily removable, I've already reseated the heat sink with new thermal paste so I know that's doable (thanks to villagetinker for the smear of paste).

It's been SOOOO long since I've worked on a computer other than the heat sink, and my CompTIA A+ certification was from back in the days when DOS was still included with Windows so - I'm really not up to speed on technology anymore.

Does adding an SSD or swapping out for an updated hard drive sound like the right move here? Or should I get rid of my beautiful Acer 27" monitor that's only 2 years old and works great, and go for an all-in-one that's cheaper than $500?

My budget is limited. I can go UP TO $500, no matter which way I go. I'd even consider an "out of box" or certified refurbished tower from Best Buy, but it needs to be a new(er) model computer if I go that route instead.

I -will not- buy a Dell. I wouldn't even take on if someone gave it to me. I prefer HP, but I'm not opposed to Acer, Asu, MSI, or even Lenovo.

I prefer a computer that comes with a dvd r/w and it must have a card reader.

Suggestions, things to watch out for, things to avoid, can my idea of keeping my tower and upgrading it work?
Closed Thread

Tags
computer, tower, drive, ssd, buy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.