New Desktop...what the HECK?

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2022, 08:21 AM
Veteran member

Indexing creates a special file so that Windows can easily know where all your other files are. In other words an index.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne19335 View Post
Although I consider myself sort of a geek, I did not upgrade to Windows 11 for the same reason—a different desktop. I have yet to see a complete tutorial outlining the major differences between Windows 10 and Windows 11. It took awhile for me to move to Windows 10 and learn all of its quirks. Now that I have done so, I will wait until all of the “bugs” are fixed before I do. If you bought the computer already loaded with the new operating system, I would contact the seller or buy a cheap tutorial explaining the major differences between the two. In fact, there should be some kind of tutorial already loaded on your new computer. If you can afford to do so, I recommend that you buy an iMac. It works just like an iPhone. It’s quite a change from a PC, but Apple is far superior to Microsoft.
I upgraded to Windows 11 in October, when it first came out. No issues so far. I really haven't noticed much difference from Windows 10, even with the desktop, except the Start button has been moved from the left side of the task bar to the center. Also, when you press the Start button, you get a popup window with additional program icons that you can add to or delete. I understand that you can now use widgets and Android apps, but those are things I have not tried. Overall, I would recommend upgrading.
Old 02-28-2022, 01:51 PM
Veteran member

Having worked on computers before Bill Gates was born, I've worked on MANY different operating systems. My first PC ran DOS, then, reluctantly, I went to Windows (3.1). When we moved here we had rental property, so we used Quicken (so had to keep Windows 7). A few years back I discovered LINUX, tried it and liked it. When we sold the rental property I converted my 10 year old Dell to LINUX MINT and never looked back. It runs faster than it ever did on Windows. I've converted about a dozen people here in The Villages to LINUX and, so far, they haven't asked to go back to Windows.
Old 02-28-2022, 05:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,903 Times in 915 Posts

Have had dell for years, i have two right now, what model did you buy?

The description could be different models. . .
Old 02-28-2022, 07:00 PM

What village are you in? I’m south of 44 and would be happy to take a look at it.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graspher View Post
Thanks for that! I'm a freak about storage (learned the hard way). My new C is 1TB and new D is 1TB. All my working files are kept on the D - music, photos, vids, movie making stuff, etc. I maintain 3 external hard drives for each drive - so 6 externals and they are kept in different locations.

I've never been comfortable with cloud storage so I don't walk that path.

Yup - already doing the micro office....but i keep seeing vids on how to get it free - will need to look into that.

500g music...Suffern Succotash....I thought I was king with 75g!!! If I ever want to get into hacking I'll begin my studies with your onedrive!!!!
Ditch Microsoft Office and switch to LibreOffice. It's open source from the folks who brought the world Sun Microsystems and Oracle. It's compatible with MS Office, more robust, fewer bugs, with tons more functionality. They have another software suite called OpenOffice that's similar, with less functionality than LibreOffice (so it's about the same as MS Office).
Old 03-01-2022, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Having worked on computers before Bill Gates was born, I've worked on MANY different operating systems. My first PC ran DOS, then, reluctantly, I went to Windows (3.1). When we moved here we had rental property, so we used Quicken (so had to keep Windows 7). A few years back I discovered LINUX, tried it and liked it. When we sold the rental property I converted my 10 year old Dell to LINUX MINT and never looked back. It runs faster than it ever did on Windows. I've converted about a dozen people here in The Villages to LINUX and, so far, they haven't asked to go back to Windows.
I'm interested to know what computers you worked on in the Early 1950's ?? That would also make you close to, or over 90.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
I'm interested to know what computers you worked on in the Early 1950's ?? That would also make you close to, or over 90.
OK, so I went a little too far with the Bill Gates reference, but I wrote my first program (in FORTRAN IV) in 1969.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
OK, so I went a little too far with the Bill Gates reference, but I wrote my first program (in FORTRAN IV) in 1969.
You got me beat. I wrote my first (in BASIC) in 1978. Dummy terminal, program came out on ticker tape (not punch cards), divide by zero was an actual problem, goto was sometimes a nightmare, and the "hard drive" was a couple of things that looked like refrigerator cases in an air conditioned room next door to the computer lab, with reel to reel tape.
Old 03-01-2022, 06:23 PM
Veteran member

If college counts, 1972, IBM360, PL/1
Old 03-01-2022, 06:29 PM

I had similar indexing issues a couple of years ago on Windows 10. I resolved it by turning “off” indexing in Windows. Indexing is not helpful for most people … My file access time is still lightning fast. But I am not trying to synch across multiple machines or the cloud. So your experience may vary. But it is easy to turn on/off.

I have used Windows & Microsoft products since Dos 1.0. But I rarely use my 2018 Dell Optiplex any more …. Because I know when I turn it on that I will be forced/coerced by Microsoft to install all the recent updates (and reboot 3 or 4 times in the process) before I can complete the small task I wanted to do on my Dell

I agree with others, use OpenOffice in place of MS OFFICE. Its smaller, lighter, faster and compatible.

As for Linux, there is lots you can do with it … and lots you can’t if you are expecting to do everything that Windows huge app base is capable of.

I now use my ipad for 90% of my computing/data/music needs. And use the Dell for the remaining 10% (because its not possible on the ipad)
Old 03-01-2022, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2inOR View Post
Long career working with Apple and Microsoft, primarily storage, server, and graphic products. I'm a serious user of both.

In this case, first time access of a lot of files, the indices simply needed to be rebuilt, especially if storage was on an older operating system.

Even more time if connected to the cloud, and files and folders needed to be synchronized.

I use Amazon, Microsoft, Google, and Amazon cloud services, in addition to local direct connect hard drives, and local home server.

Until everything gets synced, there can and will be delays. Same happens when iPad, Samsung tablet, and both Apple and Android smartphones are connected for the first time.

As for which platforms are "better", that's a tough one to answer. Each has plusses and minuses, and is highly dependent of what you are doing.

Storage products I've been responsible for sit on the shelves in Apple Stores worldwide, as well as other major retailers online and at brick and mortar locations.

I will say one thing, though: the state of software development for apps and the operating systems is worrisome. Between security and bugs, things could be better. Some new problems are simply new features that confound all of us at times.

Good luck to all!

PS remember to backup! Have at least two copies of everything. I have backups local as well as in the cloud.

That was helpful - thanks.
Old 03-01-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
files on a drive require an index otherwise when the heads read the disc they read it 'in order' indexing gives a better "fast disk" impression however is merely a bandaid of future things to come. Opticals aren't fast like SSD, they are slow. Indexing will mask over what you have in your video, because it's caching an index for current use.

Hopefully my shallow usage depth of the system will allow me to feel like its processing at the speed of light....
Old 03-01-2022, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshoberg View Post
I just bought a new high end tower and for the first few days whenever I wanted to look at my photos, the icon images had loaded and then updated very similar to your experience with music files. It then did not do it after the first few days and is fine now. I suspected it was the sharing and migration across my other devices, OneDrive cloud files, etc….
That could be - glad ur problem was short lived. So was mine.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne19335 View Post
Although I consider myself sort of a geek, I did not upgrade to Windows 11 for the same reason—a different desktop. I have yet to see a complete tutorial outlining the major differences between Windows 10 and Windows 11. It took awhile for me to move to Windows 10 and learn all of its quirks. Now that I have done so, I will wait until all of the “bugs” are fixed before I do. If you bought the computer already loaded with the new operating system, I would contact the seller or buy a cheap tutorial explaining the major differences between the two. In fact, there should be some kind of tutorial already loaded on your new computer. If you can afford to do so, I recommend that you buy an iMac. It works just like an iPhone. It’s quite a change from a PC, but Apple is far superior to Microsoft.
I moved from an 7 yo lenovo thinkpad with windows 8 to my current. I just jumped in and continue to hope for the best. I just don't use a system enough to justify the imac buy in plus I have other learning curves that I need to master...

Tags
dell, told, slow, free, garbage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.