The new iPhone 4S

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Veteran member

Here is a very interesting article from the CEO of Sprint on his take comparing the new iphone4S to the current Droids.....

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ery_penny.html

Siri seems amazing. Apple innovates....others then imitate....end of story.

Frank
Old 10-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Yeah, it's called speaktoit. You can find it in the market...

It's fun, but not up to the level of Siri just yet.
thanks
Old 10-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Gold member

I have heard that these phones may have to be charged every night, depending on the use of internet, texting, and game playing. If I get my first internet phone, it would be the iPhone 4S from Verizon. Let's say my daily usage would be only six 5-minute calls, six e-mails, and six web sites. How often would the phone need to be charged.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
I have heard that these phones may have to be charged every night, depending on the use of internet, texting, and game playing. If I get my first internet phone, it would be the iPhone 4S from Verizon. Let's say my daily usage would be only six 5-minute calls, six e-mails, and six web sites. How often would the phone need to be charged.
Once a month! ha ha.... Believe me, once you start using a smartphone, you'll be using it more than what say here.

I normally charge my smartphone overnight...
Old 10-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Once a month! ha ha.... Believe me, once you start using a smartphone, you'll be using it more than what say here.

I'm glad you said that Mike, you're right. My last phone was a Droid and I used it quite a bit ...or so I thought. Now that I have my Iphone, it's constantly being used. So many apps, instant messaging from one iPhone to another, Facetime, Weather Alert system, Netflix, HBO to Go, Xfinity, (I can set my DVR to record from my phone if I'm out), mail, internet, photos and video, Kindle, Nook, Google Books, IBooks, and so many other neat things...and oh yes, of course, Angry Birds Rio...
Old 10-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The iPhone also has the advantage of having innumerable charging docks that are anything from alarm clocks to stereo systems in their own rights - making it easy to stick the phone in a charger conveniently.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Gold member

Quote:

Huh? I referenced daily use, not monthly.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
Huh? I referenced daily use, not monthly.
Sorry Buzzy... I was being a little sarcastic. But, if you only use the iPhone as you mentioned (daily), I don't think you'll phone have charging issues. You would probably need to put it on the charger every 3 days or so.

Once you get it, you'll discover lots of things to use it for.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Simple answer. G = Generation. ..3G = 3rd generation, etc.

You will hear a lot about 3G and 4G networks, which means the network (potential) is faster. Wireless carriers have been rolling out their 4G networks for the last year and we are seeing more and more 4G enabled phones on the market. There was some disappointment that the new iPhone 4S was not a 4G phone. Apple says their new antenna design will enable the phone to achieve 14.4Mb/sec download, which is very close to optimal 4G speed. Expectation is that the next iPhone iteration will be a true 4G phone.

Someone else may have a better explanation....
Thanks Mike - I didn't realize that the G was for the newer version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
I'm glad you said that Mike, you're right. My last phone was a Droid and I used it quite a bit ...or so I thought. Now that I have my Iphone, it's constantly being used. So many apps, instant messaging from one iPhone to another, Facetime, Weather Alert system, Netflix, HBO to Go, Xfinity, (I can set my DVR to record from my phone if I'm out), mail, internet, photos and video, Kindle, Nook, Google Books, IBooks, and so many other neat things...and oh yes, of course, Angry Birds Rio...
Pooh - have you ever considered using it for a phone?

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 10-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
Thanks Mike - I didn't realize that the G was for the newer version.

Pooh - have you ever considered using it for a phone?
Well, once in a while I do make or receive a call, but only every once in a while....
Old 10-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Sorry Buzzy... I was being a little sarcastic. But, if you only use the iPhone as you mentioned (daily), I don't think you'll phone have charging issues. You would probably need to put it on the charger every 3 days or so.

I see, That would be just fine, until I really get hooked on it. Currently I spend a lot of time on the internet at home, so the phone would just be a backup or for when we are away from home. A year ago my wife got a touch screen phone with a basic ($10) data plan. However, the response time is pathetic and the screen display is almost unreadable, so we hardly ever go out to the net.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Exclamation it doesn't matter, charged or not...

Quote:

in the southern end of the villages att service renders your iphone as useful as a lead sinker!!
Old 11-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
in the southern end of the villages att service renders your iphone as useful as a lead sinker!!
Oh, but BigLew....didn't you hear??? Verizon has the iPhone now too and it actually works down here on the southside...

Rock on....
Old 11-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplong View Post
I was a Verizon Wireless customer for 21 years - ever since having huge bricks mounted in the trunk of my car and the little antennas on the back window with the little curly-que at the base.

Since around 2004 I was a Windows Mobile person - since I could write apps with the same development environment I worked on for my job.

On October 14th, I switched to Sprint. My 3-line family plan will be about $50/mo cheaper with Sprint. I don't have nearly as many mandatory fees. Sprint is also giving me unlimited date whereas Verizon wouldn't.

It was really a no-brainer decision for me.

Since switching I've used my cell phone for far more things than I ever used my WinMo phones for - even though I had top of the line models. I spent about $15 on apps in the past two weeks and I'm loaded with great stuff.

The phone is far easier to use - as is represented by the fact that my non-technical wife is able to do more and more with less explanations from me.

This is, quite frankly, one of the better purchases I've ever made.
I too have had Verizon since the birth of the cell phone. I am grandfathered to an unlimited data plan for 29.99 per month! I wouldn't even think of going with any other provider.The reception throughout the villages is constant with nary a dropped call!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
I too have had Verizon since the birth of the cell phone. I am grandfathered to an unlimited data plan for 29.99 per month! I wouldn't even think of going with any other provider.The reception throughout the villages is constant with nary a dropped call!
Beware that they MAY have instituted a data cap on your "unlimited" plan - they seem to have done that to me when I looked deep into the fine print.. In addition, the $30 'extra' fee is what REALLY drove me away. The same fee with Sprint was $10 and having 3 phones on the line adds up..

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.