New netgear modum/router, now no printer, wassup???

Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2023, 05:04 AM
Default Printer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Netgear modum/router does not connect with hp 2680 printer. Probably doesn't help that I'm not techy and our kids who are VERY techy live many miles away. Help!
Try using YouTube
Old 09-30-2023, 05:35 AM
Veteran member

Sounds like you bought a new router and are using the default wifi name of the new router which is different than your old default name.
The easiest thing to do is go into the router and change the default wifi name(s) to the old routers names so you would not need to change all of your wifi names in your phones/tablets/iot.
Better yet, you should never use the default wifi names (ssid), plus you should always use just 1 wifi name for both your 2.4 & 5ghz wifi networks. Let the device determine which network to use.
Old 09-30-2023, 06:40 AM
Veteran member

Not for nothing, but, Linux never has a problem connecting to printers. Think Linux.

(let the flames proceed)
Old 09-30-2023, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
Sounds like you bought a new router and are using the default wifi name of the new router which is different than your old default name.
The easiest thing to do is go into the router and change the default wifi name(s) to the old routers names so you would not need to change all of your wifi names in your phones/tablets/iot.
Better yet, you should never use the default wifi names (ssid), plus you should always use just 1 wifi name for both your 2.4 & 5ghz wifi networks. Let the device determine which network to use.
I agree with everything you said but I had some devices that were not connecting to my 2.4 network as they were trying to connect to the 5.0 network that had the same name. It was strange as they are 2.4ghz only devices. I had to use a different name for each network and that solved my issue.
Old 09-30-2023, 07:09 AM
Default Wifi "bands"

Quote:
Netgear modum/router does not connect with hp 2680 printer. Probably doesn't help that I'm not techy and our kids who are VERY techy live many miles away. Help!
Our Wifi modem has 2 bands 2.4 and 5.0. The printer only supports 2.4. So I need to connect the computer to the 2.4 band to be able to see my printer.

Of course you need to configure your printer to access the Wifi on your new router. So configure your printer for Wifi and then connect your computer to whatever band you use on the printer.
Old 09-30-2023, 09:08 AM
Veteran member
Default Printer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Are you hard wired or using Bluetooth?

If it was working before, chances are it has nothing to do with the computer. You changed the WiFi.

We have the same printer.

Make sure you “pair” the new set up. Those printers require you push the info button for 3 seconds, Then push the info button and WiFi button together for a a few seconds. Then make sure you chose the WiFi for your HP printer. Print what you need.

When you are done, make sure to go back to your WiFi on your device and turn on your original wiFi network for internet use.

I found this on the web
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product...model/30206235

Then click on “Chapter 7 Connect Your Printer”

I hope this helps.
Go into printer settings and enter the info from the label on the new router so it will recognize it.

Last edited by Larchap49; 09-30-2023 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 09-30-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I just set up a new Netgear router to an HP printer. My router has the password underneath. Press the wireless icon on your printer, then the settings wheel. Then the wireless setup wizard. Find your router and enter your password. Hope that does it for you.
Old 09-30-2023, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

There are often problems connecting older printers with newer routers. Try googling your particular printer and then look for a YouTube as others have suggested.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-02-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronda View Post
Our Wifi modem has 2 bands 2.4 and 5.0. The printer only supports 2.4. So I need to connect the computer to the 2.4 band to be able to see my printer.

Of course you need to configure your printer to access the Wifi on your new router. So configure your printer for Wifi and then connect your computer to whatever band you use on the printer.
I used to be able to connect to 2.4 printer from 2 laptops and 2 cellphones and print with no problem when I had 2 names one with 5G and one for 2.4
Then the Optimum upgraded my modem to one that supports 2.4 and 5G with one name automatically. Now I can only print from my main laptop and the other 3 does not see the printer and they can not even ping the printer's IP address. I search all over internet and tech forums and found some other people who have the same problem but so far no solutions found.

Anyone experienced the same problem?

Cheers!
Old 10-02-2023, 07:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbang View Post
I used to be able to connect to 2.4 printer from 2 laptops and 2 cellphones and print with no problem when I had 2 names one with 5G and one for 2.4
Then the Optimum upgraded my modem to one that supports 2.4 and 5G with one name automatically. Now I can only print from my main laptop and the other 3 does not see the printer and they can not even ping the printer's IP address. I search all over internet and tech forums and found some other people who have the same problem but so far no solutions found.

Anyone experienced the same problem?

Cheers!
Try using a static IP address for the printer.
Closed Thread

Tags
techy, modum/router, printer, netgear, miles

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.