new quirk on totv today

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Sage
Default TOTV rules for posting

Interesting that before I could post today, I had to click to accept TOTV terms for posting. Not a problem, but just wondering if this is something new from the Admins, or something that is now required annually to be done by TOTV posters.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger;***695
Interesting that before I could post today, I had to click to accept TOTV terms for posting. Not a problem, but just wondering if this is something new from the Admins, or something that is now required annually to be done by TOTV posters.
I got it too. I think it was set for everybody to read and accept. I'm on another forum that does the same every so often because some people need a reminder while some may have not yet read them! Possibly the same reason for it here!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 12-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger;***695

I too had to click on agreeing to TOTV terms before coming in to comment! Just wondering if this is a reminder...or what??!!
Old 12-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79;***696
I got it too. I think it was set for everybody to read and accept. I'm on another forum that does the same every so often because some people need a reminder while some may have not yet read them! Possibly the same reason for it here!
skyguy, now that I'm not the only one to have to do this, it must be an annual reminder about the posting rules for TOTV that everyone will need to read and accept before they can post again.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Administrator

We did an update on the forum usage guidelines and this was just to update all users. Let us know if we can assist.

Thanks
Old 12-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Gold member
Default Double Click etc!

I also recieved the form update. at first felt like getting a reminder ticket? Glad all recieved this.

On the IE9 double click. This may sound stupid but is there not a malware out there called doubleclick? I am not an expert on this.

I am using IE8 and no problems. And thanks to Admin(s) No nasty popup IE warnings the last several days anyware on site! VERY HAPPY HERV!
Old 12-29-2011, 11:02 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

car guys - never heard of it - but i'll look it up - later.

but if it were that, can you figure out why it would NOLY happen on the totv site and not others i am surfing?

confused also because it started to happen with a couple of other posters the same day?

it is a puzzlement!

Old 12-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Gold member
Default ??? Click

If it only happens on a certain site then you have to suspect a Key Logger Device or a Spyware / Malware /program that is recording your clicks? IMHO

But as I say I am Nooooooo expert on computer items. Just sort of always curious about " Cause and Effect"

Doctor- Computer Experts- CarGuys - Science Guys we are always looking at the Cause and effect of a diagnoistic procedure.

But it's late I better quit before I get in trouble-

I would revert your IE back to IE8 and see if this still happens. I belive if you do a uninstall it will put you back to the previous version.

If it is gone there is your problem. Stay with IE 8 until they debug it.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:44 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys;***897
I also recieved the form update. at first felt like getting a reminder ticket? Glad all recieved this.

On the IE9 double click. This may sound stupid but is there not a malware out there called doubleclick? I am not an expert on this.

I am using IE8 and no problems. And thanks to Admin(s) No nasty popup IE warnings the last several days anyware on site! VERY HAPPY HERV!
Doubleclick is considered malware by some and not by others. It's been around since 1995 and was acquired by Google back in 2007. You can learn more about it at the following link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DoubleClick
Old 12-29-2011, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum;***947
car guys - never heard of it - but i'll look it up - later.

but if it were that, can you figure out why it would NOLY happen on the totv site and not others i am surfing?

confused also because it started to happen with a couple of other posters the same day?

it is a puzzlement!
Have you ran your antivirus software and cleared your cookies and cache?
Old 12-30-2011, 08:01 AM
Sage

I ate something for dinner the other day that just about "cleared my cookies"......

Sorry - just couldn't resist.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread!

Bill
Old 12-30-2011, 08:38 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin;***966
Have you ran your antivirus software and cleared your cookies and cache?
YES! multiple times! thank you.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Default hmmmm....looks like it might be an IE9 - Google issue

Just started happening to me too. I'm running IE9, Vista, MS Security Essentials and MalwareBytes Pro on this PC. Ran Glary Utilities, cleared out all my cookies, and even removed all IE Add-ons but still had same problem - but only on this site.

Rooted around and saw numerous mentions of it elsewhere (including this one the Fusion site) and this little tidbit on:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...d-fbe15ae1bed0

I may try the bit about blocking googleads.g.doubleclick.net just for S&G's later today but I've got to get back to real-life retirement -e.g. golf and billiards!

This sounds like it's gonna be a tricky one-
Old 12-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Eternal Member

What I find baffling is why some of us are having these problems whereas some of us are not. I for one am not having the same problems being discussed and can't figure out why that is if a connection to TOTV is really involved. Because of this I find it hard to believe that TOTV has any direct connection to the problem.

As for the cookies like doubleclick, I checked my computer yesterday and had several being doubleclick and a lot more from elsewhere. I used to be concerned and tried deleting as many as I could find to delete while keeping those I didn't want to. What I found was that I was experiencing an exercise in futility because within a day or two most were back again. It was a never ending battle and I gave up trying long ago except when I do an occasional clearing of my cashe.

In the past I have had personal experience in this area as well as being a 10 year administrator for a moderately large award winning non-profit website. I don't however consider myself an expert by any means, but I do wish that I did have the expertise to be able to identify why others are having a problem and possibly be able to identify the problem and offer a solution, but sadly I can't. I would love to be able to do that!
Old 12-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79
What I find baffling is why some of us are having these problems whereas some of us are not. I for one am not having the same problems being discussed and can't figure out why that is if a connection to TOTV is really involved. Because of this I find it hard to believe that TOTV has any direct connection to the problem.

As for the cookies like doubleclick, I checked my computer yesterday and had several being doubleclick and a lot more from elsewhere. I used to be concerned and tried deleting as many as I could find to delete while keeping those I didn't want to. What I found was that I was experiencing an exercise in futility because within a day or two most were back again. It was a never ending battle and I gave up trying long ago except when I do an occasional clearing of my cashe.

In the past I have had personal experience in this area as well as being a 10 year administrator for a moderately large award winning non-profit website. I don't however consider myself an expert by any means, but I do wish that I did have the expertise to be able to identify why others are having a problem and possibly be able to identify the problem and offer a solution, but sadly I can't. I would love to be able to do that!
Google blames Microsoft and Microsoft blames Google. Hence why I've gone on to use Firefox. Since becoming accustom to using something different, I now prefer it. To your point if you surf the internet you will get tagged with cookies that try to track what your interest are so ultimately they can target you with relevant advertising.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.