new quirk on totv today

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2011, 05:28 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
Google blames Microsoft and Microsoft blames Google. Hence why I've gone on to use Firefox. Since becoming accustom to using something different, I now prefer it. To your point if you surf the internet you will get tagged with cookies that try to track what your interest are so ultimately they can target you with relevant advertising.
I am quite aware of that, but it didn't hurt to explain it for others edification. Aside from that I had a problem that others didn't mention with previewing posts and sometimes when posting. The page would render in mostly text sometimes rather than the the full HTML. I think I've found a solution to that problem by disabeling add-ons in IE. Haven't had the problem with testing it several times, but won't trust it's solved until more posting are done. So far I haven't noticed any problems in doing so! Fingers are crossed and tme will tell.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Default SOLVED -- at least for me!!

Quote:
Google blames Microsoft and Microsoft blames Google. Hence why I've gone on to use Firefox. Since becoming accustom to using something different, I now prefer it. To your point if you surf the internet you will get tagged with cookies that try to track what your interest are so ultimately they can target you with relevant advertising.
That's certainly seems to be the concensus out there. As promised, I tried the suggestion on: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...d-fbe15ae1bed0

in which the poster suggested adding an exclusion to IE under the Security tab.

After going thru numerous permutations of googleads.doubleclick.net (using * to expand the range of exclusions) and not having any success (perhaps because that poster was on IE8 and I'm on IE9), I had a "DUH moment" before adding "*.doubleclick.net" to my firewall's Blocked Sites list.

Worked like a charm.
Took it out and the problem returned.
Since I see no particular reason for permitting **** -- (my stars ) --from doubleclick.net coming into my purview, it's gonna stay there -- even if MS and Google work out their pi**ing contest!!

Have a nice night and a great New Years!!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
You might be happy with another browser but I am not. I have tried the other browsers and I like the functions that IE9 offers.

This doubleclick thing is not a virus as all of us that have scanned our systems with our anti-virus and our Malware products have found out. Our systems are clean.

In doing some research, I found this site that discusses the same problem:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...99d95f6f&hl=en

This link discusses other sites that use googleads as a base.

I did find out that if you right click on the return arrow (left arrow), you can click on the entry under the googlead entry and get back to where you really want to go. Not sure it is any faster but it bypasses any googlead link and hopefully screws up their counts.

So until it gets fixed I guess us IE9 users have to live with it.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Gold member
Default Cheeze It Commercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79;***964
Doubleclick is considered malware by some and not by others. It's been around since 1995 and was acquired by Google back in 2007. You can learn more about it at the following link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DoubleClick
Love those commercials! I Google em for laughs

Click Snap!

Was that a good check or a bad check!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Gold member
Default Tracking

That is so true.

GM and OnStar just got pounded by the media for using your locations while driving your vehicle to sell your information and habits.

Verison and I Phone have been doing this for years! Only way to stop it is take you battery out. With OnStar you have to go into the dealership and have it modified!

So now the Wife wonders why we are getting Junk mail and Coupouns for Biker Bars, Chicken Wing Joints and Houses of I'll Repute!

Sorry Admin Me bad now I gotta sign another form LOL!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:25 PM

PS...forgot to add this bit to my "Solved it" post above for those who are adamant IE users.

After adding "doubleclick.net" to the Block Sites section in my Netgear router/firewall, when I mouseover the IE left arrow I no longer see that long googleads.doubleclick link but rather the usual context of wherever you were previously on TOTV.

That being said, I do have to agree with Admin's preference for Mozilla as I find it a lot faster, more stable, better add-ons and less overhead but I will say no more lest we start that debate! I do still use IE for testing purposes and just could not pass up this challenge -- now if MS and Google would just kiss and makeup...
Old 12-30-2011, 10:26 PM
Gold member

Okay, here's the fix: In IE7, IE8, or IE9 click on Tools, then click on Internet Options, then click on the Security Tab. Click on the Restricted Sites Icon all the way to the right. Click on Sites (just below the Restricted Sites Icon). In the Add this Website to the Zone box, clear whatever is in there. Type *.doubleclick.com and click on Add. Go back to the Add this Wesite to the Zone box and clear anything that is in there. Type *.doubleclick.net and click on Add. Click on Close. Click on OK and you are done.

Added: Then go two posts down (#39) and make those changes.

Go back to Talk of the Villages and go to a thread. Click on the back button and wah-lah, all fixed.

Xavier

Last edited by Xavier; 12-31-2011 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Adding more to the fix
Old 12-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
Okay, here's the fix: In IE7, IE8, or IE9 click on Tools, then click on Internet Options, then click on the Security Tab. Click on the Restricted Sites Icon all the way to the right. Click on Sites (just below the Restricted Sites Icon). In the Add this Website to the Zone box, clear whatever is in there. Type *.doubleclick.com and click on Add. Go back to the Add this Wesite to the Zone box and clear anything that is in there. Type *.doubleclick.net and click on Add. Click on Close. Click on OK and you are done.

Go back to Talk of the Villages and go to a thread. Click on the back button and wah-lah, all fixed.

Xavier
Did not work for me. I checked and both sites are in the list. I even shut down IE9 and restarted it. Darn!!

I guess I will have to try to put in the firewall in my router also.

Seems to be a hassle when it is not our problem.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
Did not work for me. I checked and both sites are in the list. I even shut down IE9 and restarted it. Darn!!

I guess I will have to try to put in the firewall in my router also.

Seems to be a hassle when it is not our problem.
It works fine for me. The only other thing that I did was: Click on Tools, Click on Security, Click on Custom level, Find "Launching programs and files in a IFRAME" and click on Disable. Find "Websites in less privileged web content can navigate into this zone" and click on Disable. Click on OK and Click on OK. Let me know how you make out.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:

Xavier
Pretty sure this does not work for IE 9 -- does for IE 8, don't have IE 7 loaded anywhere. Just tried it on my Vista/IE v9.0.8112.16421 browser and it did not work.

Your mileage may vary....
Old 12-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzper View Post
Pretty sure this does not work for IE 9 -- does for IE 8, don't have IE 7 loaded anywhere. Just tried it on my Vista/IE v9.0.8112.16421 browser and it did not work.

Your mileage may vary....
I'm using IE9 same version as yours and it is working great. I'm running Windows7 and I'm updated.

Xavier
Old 12-30-2011, 11:17 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
It works fine for me. The only other thing that I did was: Click on Tools, Click on Security, Click on Custom level, Find "Launching programs and files in a IFRAME" and click on Disable. Find "Websites in less privileged web content can navigate into this zone" and click on Disable. Click on OK and Click on OK. Let me know how you make out.
That worked! But what other problems fiesoes it open up?

As I said, this is not our problem. It is a TOTV problem no matter how they perceive it. This did not happen last week. It only started after they shut down the site and made some upgrades.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:25 PM
Gold member
Default SpywareBlaster

Anyone use this. Can be found on MajorGeeks site

I have been using it for years, A NT guy got me on it. Shuts down many of the problems mentioned here.

IMHO

H
Old 12-30-2011, 11:27 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
That worked! But what other problems fiesoes it open up?

As I said, this is not our problem. It is a TOTV problem no matter how they perceive it. This did not happen last week. It only started after they shut down the site and made some upgrades.
So it looks like the combination of changes (Posts 37 and 39) made the difference. I'm pretty sure the fix won't cause you any problems. Thanks for trying it and reporting back. I really appreciate it. ....and I agree that this isn't something we should have to be doing. Now that we know how to work around it, maybe Admin and TOTV can figure out what is wrong. Best of luck to them.

Xavier
Old 12-30-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Ah...I did not have that latter one set in my browser....good catch. Just tested and that definitely makes it work w/o adding the router/firewall block -- although I'll probably put doubleclick.net back in there as I see no particular reason for looking at their ads. But based upon all the vulnerabilites with IFrames mentioned above and elsewhere (see below), that setting is most definitely something that is going to stay.

Thanks!!

PS.
Here's another link that discusses the IFrame vulnerabilities.
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hostsfaq.htm#Button

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.