Newbie here to Village of Newell: seeking internet service

Closed Thread
Old 07-10-2023, 02:16 PM
Default Newbie here to Village of Newell: seeking internet service

Hello everyone!

Can't wait to meet many of you when we move in late August to The Villages.

Can anyone recommend a good and reliable internet service in Newell? I have a list of names but would value personal recommendations. I work from home 9-5 so would like high-speed, reliable service.

Thanks,

Alyson
Old 07-10-2023, 03:06 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Spectrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by aly18 View Post
Hello everyone!

Can anyone recommend a good and reliable internet service in Newell? I have a list of names but would value personal recommendations. I work from home 9-5 so would like high-speed, reliable service.

Thanks,

Alyson
Spectrum is whom we have. We are about 5 blocks from Newell in Citrus Grove. We have up to 500 mbps.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 07-10-2023, 03:09 PM

I think you may have a fiber option in Newell but not 100% sure and I don't know anything about that service.

Spectrum doesn't have data caps like Xfinity. We have Spectrum and haven't had any issues in the 1+years we've had them. They currently have 300mb for $49.99/month for a year. The 300mb goes up to $69.99 second year and then $79.99 after that. 500mb starts at $69.99 first year and rising $10 per year for year 2 and then another $10 for year 3. Not sure where 1gig starts and ends.

Although you didn't ask, we were skeptical about the Spectrum mobile phone plan (unlimited text and data) but it uses Verizon towers and we haven't had any issues. We are on our first year with the phone plan as we just started that last December so a total of $29.99 (no tax or extra fees) for 2 lines. The second line is free for the first year. Next year it will be $59.98 for both total. We were paying AT&T over $150 for 2 lines with unlimited text and 20GB data a month. VERY happy changing. We've traveled within the US without any issues too. Oh, we kept our phones so didn't have to buy new ones.
Old 07-10-2023, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Spectrum is whom we have. We are about 5 blocks from Newell in Citrus Grove. We have up to 500 mbps.
Great--thank you! Really appreciate it -- the consensus seems to be Spectrum so far.
Old 07-10-2023, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoo21 View Post
I think you may have a fiber option in Newell but not 100% sure and I don't know anything about that service.

Spectrum doesn't have data caps like Xfinity. We have Spectrum and haven't had any issues in the 1+years we've had them. They currently have 300mb for $49.99/month for a year. The 300mb goes up to $69.99 second year and then $79.99 after that. 500mb starts at $69.99 first year and rising $10 per year for year 2 and then another $10 for year 3. Not sure where 1gig starts and ends.

Although you didn't ask, we were skeptical about the Spectrum mobile phone plan (unlimited text and data) but it uses Verizon towers and we haven't had any issues. We are on our first year with the phone plan as we just started that last December so a total of $29.99 (no tax or extra fees) for 2 lines. The second line is free for the first year. Next year it will be $59.98 for both total. We were paying AT&T over $150 for 2 lines with unlimited text and 20GB data a month. VERY happy changing. We've traveled within the US without any issues too. Oh, we kept our phones so didn't have to buy new ones.
Thanks very much--really appreciate it. I posted a different reply but it is not showing, so here goes again. Spectrum sounds great, for cell phones too, and we will consider. Centric Fiber is a new addition to T V and they charge 65/month for 1 gig and their fee never goes up. I have to see their reviews to ensure they are reliable though.
Old 07-10-2023, 06:18 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,320 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Hello everyone!

Thanks,

Alyson
I had spectrum for the first year. It was ok but it would occasionally drop. Switched to Xfinity and it has been faster. One of the options has caps but for about $10 more, you can get unlimited data!
Old 07-10-2023, 06:39 PM
Veteran member

If you go with Spectrum or Xfinity, I have a high end modem/router for sale. I just switched to Quantum fiber and no longer need it. PM me.
Old 07-10-2023, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball wizard View Post
If you go with Spectrum or Xfinity, I have a high end modem/router for sale. I just switched to Quantum fiber and no longer need it. PM me.
Spectrum provides a nice free modem & router.
Old 07-10-2023, 07:27 PM

Welcome!
I’m in Newell and the houses here are set up with fiber. You can call Centric or scan the QR code that will be in the house and they’ll connect you without any additional equipment.
We’ve only been here a couple months and we don’t use it for work but we haven’t had any issues with it.
Old 07-11-2023, 04:22 AM

Get fiber, hands down for the best and probably the cheapest internet. Centric fiber carries fiber in your area. They also have streaming services for their customers. I tried to get their streaming service but I don’t have their network since I don’t live in the Newell area.
Forget about any cable service like xfinity or spectrum when you can get fiber. Fiber is the ONLY service that you will get the same speed on both upload and download, whereas spectrum/xfinity you will pay for 200Mb speeds for download but you will only get 20Mb upload speed. Fiber networks provide the lowest ms latency which means lower wait times when streaming video.
Old 07-11-2023, 04:27 AM
Default Router

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball wizard View Post
Am interested in modem/router. Please call me at 217-259-5843. My name is Kathy. Thanks
Old 07-11-2023, 04:53 AM

My internet is very good and I have xfinity. Rarely if ever drops. Maybe 4 times in the year & 2 mos I was living here, and 2 were during the hurricane. Always comes back up though in a few short minutes. I just don't like that they hook you in at $60 then jump to $80 after a year. When I had Cox in another state it was $60 all the way for years.
Old 07-11-2023, 05:34 AM

We have Comcast/Xfinity bundle. We love it and have not had any problems.
Old 07-11-2023, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Hello everyone!

Thanks,

Alyson
I'm in the same boat and have similar questions. Aside from the 'Talk of The Villages' forums, how does one find out about internet service? I'll be in Monarch Grove -- how do I know what providers service that area? or if fiber optic service is available? When I contacted CDD asking about internet service, they mentioned Comcast and Xfinity but not Spectrum. Is this right? Who to believe? Doesn't TV provide some sort of official guidance which lists the options for internet setup?
Old 07-11-2023, 06:35 AM

We are in Hawkins and have xfinity and are have been very happy with the speed and reliability. The only negative is that the xfinity router is not the greatest and had issues getting a strong signal to the Ring cameras on the front and back of the house. I ended up buying a Deco mesh wifi system with 3 pods and get great wifi everywhere. The main pod in the living room and the satellite pods in the front and back bedrooms.
Closed Thread

Tags
service, reliable, newell, internet, newbie

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.