Newbie here to Village of Newell: seeking internet service

Closed Thread
Old 07-11-2023, 06:40 AM

I recently set up wifi service with Spectrum--internet only. I stream TV programs with online services and use the basic free Spectrum for news, etc. I went online first and typed Internet Service near me. Search engine produced several companies and you will see the companies that can cover your area. Then I made a little chart: Data caps? Delivery rate. Total cost (is modem included or extra etc.) As we are only here part time, this works very well for us. We have the option of adding programs (for a fee), but so far it's working well for us from the TV entertainment standpoint. Have no issues with Internet speed. But if you are working from home, you may need more oomph from your service provider.
Old 07-11-2023, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLonzo View Post
I'm in the same boat and have similar questions. Aside from the 'Talk of The Villages' forums, how does one find out about internet service? I'll be in Monarch Grove -- how do I know what providers service that area? or if fiber optic service is available? When I contacted CDD asking about internet service, they mentioned Comcast and Xfinity but not Spectrum. Is this right? Who to believe? Doesn't TV provide some sort of official guidance which lists the options for internet setup?
We are in Monarch Grove and have Spectrum. The house was originally set up for xfinity so spectrum had to run a line which was no big deal. No problems with Spectrum.
Old 07-11-2023, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathysue View Post
Am interested in modem/router. Please call me at 217-259-5843. My name is Kathy. Thanks

Make sure you purchase a wireless router with the newest technology…6E+!
Old 07-11-2023, 07:41 AM
Default Centric 1 fiber gig wireless router pre installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Spectrum is whom we have. We are about 5 blocks from Newell in Citrus Grove. We have up to 500 mbps.
All new homes in Newell and Denham have the fiber wireless gig router pre installed. You will receive the name and password at closing…$70 month.

Centric also so offers a TV package at a premium price. So we signed up for YouTube TV + at half the Centric price and love it!
Old 07-11-2023, 08:00 AM

We are new to Newell also. Your house should be pre-wired for Centric fiber. It is supposed to be 1 gig upload and download for $65.00 a month. It comes with a WiFi-6 router and if you call them and subscribe to the service before you move in, it will be set up and ready to use day one. When I tested it when we moved in, I was not getting anywhere near 1 gig service but I was only there a short time and didn't get to do much testing. I will be back in a couple of weeks and will do more and call them if it still is not close to 1 gig.

The Villages - Centric Fiber
Old 07-11-2023, 08:21 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Hi Alyson! Warm welcome to you in The Village of Newell If Spectrum is offered in your area, I would highly suggest it over Xfinity/Comcast. Especially if you work from home and need reliable service. We hope if you have any electrical needs for your home we can help you at Pike's Electric. (We might have even wired the home ) Welcome! - Casandra with Pike's Electric
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Logo.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	99211  
Old 07-11-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aly18 View Post
Hello everyone!

Can't wait to meet many of you when we move in late August to The Villages.

Can anyone recommend a good and reliable internet service in Newell? I have a list of names but would value personal recommendations. I work from home 9-5 so would like high-speed, reliable service.

Thanks,

Alyson
We are in Newell since March. We use Centric fiber as others have said. Very easy to start up. No one needs to come to your house or do you need any extra equipment. Go on there web site.

RCJ
Old 07-11-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Hello everyone!

Can anyone recommend a good and reliable internet service in Newell? I have a list of names but would value personal recommendations. I work from home 9-5 so would like high-speed, reliable service.

Thanks,

Alyson
We live in Newell and our house was fiber ready when we moved in. We called Centric Fiber and have used them since April. My husband works from home and needs high speed internet. He says the fiber internet speed is the fastest he has used.
Old 07-11-2023, 11:45 AM
Default Definitely Xfinity

Had spectrum and it was awful. I spent hours on the phone with their techs. I switched and I have much faster speed and pay 10 extra $ for unlimited data. Well worth. The best part is Xfinity has a combo router/modem. White in color and is decorative. Spectrum has a two piece ugly modem and router
Old 07-11-2023, 12:33 PM

New to Newell as well...just moved in a month ago. Centric fiber for $65 is fantastic so far. High speeds and reliable VPN tunnel working from home. I am sure others services work well also, but centric was already installed in the home at purchase. Very easy to setup the account and change admin password, and wifi passwords on the router that is already there. There are also cat6 cables run all over the houses, so you can add a switch near the centric box in the garage, and put on some rj45 connectors and run you items on a Lan cable if you prefer.
Old 07-11-2023, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Hello everyone!

Thanks,

Alyson
Comcast, check to see who installed the cable into the garage. Comcast installed ours. They have an outlet in every room also. One cable is terminated in the box. It is easy to terminate the other cable ends if one needs them.
Old 07-11-2023, 11:43 PM
Default Internet Service

Had Comcast/Exfinity, dropped it because of increased fees.
Had Quantum Fiber installed (Div. of Century Link). Internet only, 200 upload and download.
Very happy with speed, service and cost.
Stream with 'You Tube TV', gets everything we want to watch.
Old 07-12-2023, 05:17 AM

Be prepared to replace the provider's router if you are buying a large home. Our home is just over 2000 square feet and the router provided by Spectrum was wimpy. It was barely reliable over that space. No complaints about the service itself, just the wimpy router. And returning it reduced the monthly bill by $5, which will pay for replacement router(s) fairly quickly.
Old 07-12-2023, 05:25 AM

You have to watch people’s comments here about xfinity, spectrum because that’s all the isp services offered in their village. Very few people have the fiber option. There is no comparison between xfinity/spectrum to Cedric fiber, fiber is so much better, I wouldn’t have to even think about it. If I moved to Newell, it would by fiber.

A poster mentioned he had slow speeds using fiber using some test. This poster probably used Wi-Fi and you can’t do this, all isp sell you speed that are hardwired from their modem/router to their CO. So if you want to test their speed, hook up a newer computer to their router and do a speed test.

As for Wi-Fi in your home, that’s where you need to talk to a pro or somebody that has done this for decades, only a few of us her in the villages. Your isp companies/att/Verizon/spectrum/xfinity, electric companies, and especially your geek squad know nothing about setting up a good Wi-Fi in your house. Most of these so called network people don’t know what they are doing and when they are done, it won’t be long before the home owner starts a post on why their Wi-Fi is slow
Old 07-12-2023, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Hello everyone!

Thanks,

Alyson
I have Q.com I gig service $60 a month including tax and fees
Fiber optic
Closed Thread

Tags
service, reliable, newell, internet, newbie

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.