Online Account Security Passwords/PassPhrases

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2023, 09:31 PM
Default Online Account Security Passwords/PassPhrases

Has anyone used a password manager or automated password generator to create strong passwords/passphrases? If so, would you share what you used for this purpose?

We started producing videos to help people with online account security. This video demonstrates how to create secure passphrases: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8bmr6-171I
Old 09-11-2023, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

IMHO, an online service would be the first place the hackers will go to the get the passwords, or to intercept the passwords. I have my own personal method for the almost 100 different passwords that I use. I have been the victim of security breaches so many times, I have now lost count and I get free security monitoring for several years because of these breaches, along with lots of spam and scam emails. Bottom line I do NOT trust any of the password managers, either on my PC or in the cloud.
Old 09-11-2023, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
IMHO, an online service would be the first place the hackers will go to the get the passwords, or to intercept the passwords. I have my own personal method for the almost 100 different passwords that I use. I have been the victim of security breaches so many times, I have now lost count and I get free security monitoring for several years because of these breaches, along with lots of spam and scam emails. Bottom line I do NOT trust any of the password managers, either on my PC or in the cloud.

My FIL did the same until his memory failed and we had a big fat mess recovering his finances.

Extensive thread covering all sides here:

How Safe are Password Manager Sites
Old 09-11-2023, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
My FIL did the same until his memory failed and we had a big fat mess recovering his finances.

Extensive thread covering all sides here:

How Safe are Password Manager Sites
I have my passwords on a libre-office file, on a thumb drive. I let google remember my passwords on my desktop computer, and I let it remember my google accounts on all my devices (I have to, since my phone is an android and so is my tablet). I don't keep my passwords "in the cloud" and I don't use a password encryption program. My methodology for creating passwords changes with my moods, so it's inconsistent. And that means it's "that much harder" for people to hack.
Old 09-12-2023, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I have my passwords on a libre-office file, on a thumb drive. I let google remember my passwords on my desktop computer, and I let it remember my google accounts on all my devices (I have to, since my phone is an android and so is my tablet). I don't keep my passwords "in the cloud" and I don't use a password encryption program. My methodology for creating passwords changes with my moods, so it's inconsistent. And that means it's "that much harder" for people to hack.
A virus can (and they often do) steal your DOC and XLS files. This is a primary goal for the hackers - identity theft and money theft.
Software is available to instantly remove any passwords you might have used to "lock" those files. Nothing important is safe in those files.

Use a dedicated password manager like KeePass.
It uses real encryption for the data file. Peer reviewed open source, and no back doors.
Can create random, secure passwords of any length and complexity.
It interfaces with web browsers to make logging in simple and fast.
You decide where to store the data file. No risk of contents being stolen from the online tools from places like Norton or Lastpass. Data file is safe to store on your own cloud account for access from PC and phones.
100% free.
Stores username (which should be unique for every important website), URL, and notes.
Only one password to remember - the database unlock. Make it long and avoid dictionary words. They can be easy to remember by making slight changes.
Bad - ThisIsMySpecialPassword
Good - Thisss1Isss2Myyy3Specialll4Passworddd5
Closed Thread

Tags
online, password, account, security, passwords/passphrases

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.