Operating system hard drive problems

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2010, 05:18 AM
Default Operating system hard drive problems

I was working with a service tech online with Macfee. Was having a problem reinstalling the program. He said I have a problem with my Operating system hard drive that needs to be fixed. Any sugestions who or were to go for help?
Old 09-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman View Post
I was working with a service tech online with Macfee. Was having a problem reinstalling the program. He said I have a problem with my Operating system hard drive that needs to be fixed. Any sugestions who or were to go for help?
I can't help you with anyone local to help you with your particular problem. Have you tried Windows Security Essentials? It's free and I've been using it for several months without a problem. Here is the link if you'd like to try it. It's a simple installation.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Xavier
Old 09-05-2010, 06:51 AM
Platinum member

How long has your computer been acting funny? How old is your computer? Vista? XP or Apple? You could always restore the hard drive to an earlier date and see if that fixes the problem. If nothing changes, you can always undo the restore point to current. Did you try inactivating the Macfee for an hour and going to safe places to see if the computer is still having problems. Sometime the virus protection is what causes these problems.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:06 AM
Eternal Member

Kind of hard to believe if you haven't been having problems that you would run into problems trying to reinstall an app. Maybe MacAfee is having a problem.

Have you tried running the normal tests on your hard drive using the Tools provided by Windows??

Anyway, if the scan test fails, try MMD on rt 441/27 near 466. They will take care of it for you.

109 S. US Hwy 27/441
Lady Lake, Fl 32159
(352) 750-3707

http://www.mmdcomputers.com/storeinfo.asp

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Founder

One issue to think about is Windows 7. If that is your OS, it will not load or run some programs written for previous systems.

What exactly is happening when you try to load?

Another thing is that many times when customer support can't come up with a good answer, they blame "your system." I have had more than one disagreement with customer support about "them" being wrong. Turns out I was was right and they were "WRONG."
Old 09-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Veteran member

Another thing that may be causing your problem is having more than one anti virus program installed on your computer. If you are trying to install MacAfee and still have another anti virus program that was not properly removed you may have problems.

At one time you could run two or three anti virus programs on your system at the same time but those days are long gone.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Default ???

your OS is your operating system XP, Vista etc, not your hard drive

I would go to start, click control panel, click performance and maintenance, in the upper left hand corner is system restore, click it and choose a date when you thought your computer last ran well, the computer will do the rest

if the McAfee was an upgrade it will fix itself in about a week, I had the same issue due to IE (internet explorer 7) upgrade, it kept telling me I had a virus, I didn't cleaned the cache and all was fine, also if you use hulu a similar problem could occur

FYI don't let anyone tell you it is your motherboard, standard reply when they want you to buy a new computer, also you could check a technical high school in the area, they often have great programs for the students to fix computers CHEAP, you also have a great computer club at the villages so check there too

hope this helps
Old 09-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The first question is to determing if the problem is with your disk or the software on the disk. Since you did not mention any other problems I will assume something like SpinWrite (disk repair) will not help. As a LAST resort I would format and reinstall all of your programs. If you are running Windows search for the backup and resotre programs. In Windows 7 just go to the start menu, search for backup for help in backing up your system and files. You will want to back up your data (picturs) to a stand alone disk for safty as you may lose all the data on you PC as your try to fix it. Next go to system restore and hopefully this will actual fix your computer. Sould be very little risk of anything going wrong. You pick a restore point that is some day in the past and your computer is rolled back to that date. You go back to where you did not have the problem. This may help. After you use this you should run the normal windows update to get the fixes windows put out from the date you restored from.
I had trouble swithcing from McCaffee to Norton. I had to get a program from Norton that removed all old and New Norton products from my PC and then reinstall. My problem was parts of old programs that were not completely removed. You might have a similar problem so I would delete any old programs that check for virous etc.
I would also read the help files for my above suggestions. That might make you a little more confortable.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Veteran member

I use AVG anti virus and there is a free version you can get by just googling for it. It is very good and has never caused any problems slowing down my computers or causing problems that I have seen with other programs.
It is very difficult to trouble shoot computers by email or even over the phone.
If you computer is working fine other than the issue with McAffee, try AVG. If you are having other problems, the system restore suggested above may work. Computers are complicated and that is why I if you are not experienced I would always start with simple solutions such as trying another program of that type. For example I tell people having problems with their Browser IE Internet Explorer they can download (or have a friend do it if they cannot) free Firefox or Opera or Google Chrome and see if that fixes the problem. I suggest everyone have a backup browser in case their browser has trouble so they can download the fixes using the other browser if necessary.
I ALSO STRONGLY suggest you BACK UP your data ( music, videos, pictures, email, etc) before you do anything. If you don't know how to back up, LEARN NOW. It is not IF you will crash your hard drive and lose everything on it, it is WHEN. Back up to an external USB hard drive and you will never be sorry you did. Good luck.
JJ
Old 09-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default Computer pain...

The first thing I would try is to start PC in safe mode. This starts the PC with a bare bones set of drivers and software which limits the possible items running.

If it starts ok and you can view your files then it is most probably a software install issue perhaps with McAfee? Someone earlied suggested restoring to a checkpoint previous to the McAfee install...good idea if safe mode is ok.

Good luck. Hope for you that it is only software.
_
Old 09-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman View Post
I am having a hard time understanding all of these helps for something that a MacAfee tech said. I agree with TH. When the tech support people cannot fix their problem they tell you that you have a problem. If bassman has not had an inkling of a hard drive problem them why should he all of a sudden have a hard drive problem?

Personally I would take the advice I gave him. Do the scandisk to see if he has a problem and if not either call MMD and (waste some money unless they can get the MacAfee app to install) or call MacAfee and hope he gets a different tech. Somethings that works the best.

This is a simple problem and dies not require reinstalls or safe mode, etc. Please reread his original request - quoted above. It is not that difficult a problem.

BTW: When I did call MacAfee with a problem when I had the free MacAfee from Comcast, I thought the tech did not know his a** from a hole in the ground. I told him so and he got upset. He never could answer my questions and was a waste of time.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Sage

There is one big problem with what the tech told you, right off the bat. There is no such thing as an "operating system hard drive." Your operating system is software. Your hard drive is hardware. Your tech is a nincompoop.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:52 AM

First of all thank you all for your quick responce. How I got into this issue was when I preformed a reset to an early time and lost something in Macfee. they said I needed to reload there solfware again. It went through the complete reload and tryed to load Security features and failed. At that time they conected me with tech # 2 and he went through a look at my computer and said I had a problem with my Operating system Computer works fine was just concerned about saftey. Thank you all again.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
There is one big problem with what the tech told you, right off the bat. There is no such thing as an "operating system hard drive." Your operating system is software. Your hard drive is hardware. Your tech is a nincompoop.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Platinum member

JIMJOE mentioned AVG. It is a nice program. I use it on my laptop. Doesn't slow down the puter like my Kaspersky does and it seems to do the job. And for free, you can't beat the price. I was never a fan of McAfee or Norton. Jan suggested restoring the puter to an earlier date.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.