Question for JimJoe on upgrade

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Question for JimJoe on upgrade

JimJoe, I have a compaq laptop with Vista, should i be concerned, haven't had any problems yet (computer is 3 years old). What's the best price these days to covert to 7.....gn
Old 10-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Veteran member
Default If it is not broken, do not fix it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
JimJoe, I have a compaq laptop with Vista, should i be concerned, haven't had any problems yet (computer is 3 years old). What's the best price these days to covert to 7.....gn
If it is not broken, do not fix it...
You can upgrade to Windows 7 but you will have to do some careful checking on the microsoft and maybe your hardware and software manufacturer websites to make sure you have hardware and software compatibility.
My advice is enjoy Vista while it works, keep your data backed up to an external hard drive ( I use two hard drive external copies and keep my critical files backed up offsite in case of fire or weird burglar who comes to my home and takes all of my backups and my tower. I keep one backup hidden.
My experience with Vista was that when it comes installed on the computer you buy..(NOT the first batch after it is release.. ) they had the compatibility issues pretty much solved with the hardware that shipped in the box with it... THEN it was OK.
Problem for me was legacy devices and software. I like to make things work and change them again and again... and Vista didn't want to cooperate with my old hardware and software. Drivers were a chore.. It was slow for me and seemed bloated and I actually went back to Linux for awhile after Vista came out.

Windows 7 is very good. I do recommend it. I have 64 bit home premium. If you have old software, get the 32 bit version for better compatibility... but compatibility can always be an issue.. especially the older your software gets.. ( don't say a word shadow..)
XP pro was good.
Windows ME was terrible.
Windows server and workstation were good.
Windows 98 was a good break through
Windows 95 was a start on a good GUI.
Windows 3.11 was only an upgrade to 3.1
Windows 3.0 was.. well.
Linux is excellent if you are a nerd.
BEOS was my favorite OS in the good old days. No viruses.. no one used it but me I think. It was an Early pioneer that loved me and I loved it.

Anyone wants to read about computer nerds and hacking, I recommend The Cuckoo's Egg, and Takedown.
Hacking is of course illegal.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

thanks jimjoe.....gn
Old 10-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member

JimJoe

Just curious any idea how Microsoft Office Professional plus2007 would install and operate on Windows 7.0. Now using this on Xp.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Veteran member
Default Not sure but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
JimJoe

Just curious any idea how Microsoft Office Professional plus2007 would install and operate on Windows 7.0. Now using this on Xp.
I am not sure because I do not use it, but.. I would say two things.

1. Go to Microsoft website,, it should say there.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...20It&os=64-bit
Looks like compatible with both 32 and 64 bit.

I think it is most likely to work on 32bit version of Windows 7 because I doubt it is a 64 bit program. Windows 7 will run both but it seems to have some problems with very old 32 bit programs..
There is a compatibility mode if you have older programs you are having trouble with.. find the exe file for the program, right click and chose compatibility mode, and they you can chose the older Version of windows it ran under, or some other options to try out.

MS office 07 is pretty new so I would think it would run on either version of windows 7.
When you install older 32 bit programs in windows 7 64 bit version they install in a separate program folder called Program files x86 if you want to find their folder.

NOW THAT SAID: READ THIS:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...4-42354b658347

My point is that even when older software installs and runs, there can be some compatibility problems with legacy (older) hardware like printers, scanners, digital cameras, etc.. if the software interacts with them.. like printing spreadsheets that dont look correctly..

Now upgrading your software to be compatible with your new windows 7 can also be an issue because sometimes the upgraded software will not open or display your old files correctly when you try to open them with the new software.. EVEN WHEN THEY BOTH ARE FROM THE SAME MANUFACTURER..
this problem is getting better, but you need to read the website and make your decision..
I tell people if you dont need to upgrade, DONT.
Sorry to get so verbose, but computers are complicated, and unless someone just does it for you, you need to inform yourself before making decisions and taking actions.

One last tip: ignore me if you are getting bored...

Everyone should have a second type of browser on their computer so if the main one.. I USE Firefox, gets corrupted... mine never has but Internet explorer has... if their main one goes down they can download the newest version of the broken one to get back to two.
I recommend firefox and opera.
Google chrome is very good but it seems to use a lot if IE engine which means if IE goes down, chrome probably wont work.... I am still experimenting on that... I could be wrong.. would not be the first time.
I would also suggest using a "portable version". One that does not install into the registry.. just creates a folder that you can copy to a jump drive or external hard drive and run from there.. very useful in lots of situations. That is what I use to fix computers along with a LIVE CD of linux which when all fails will boot from your CD/DVD drive and allow you to work on dead windows, IF you cannot get into safemode in windows. A windows boot disk also a necessity.

ONE MORE thing...
New computers rarely come now days with recovery disks; you are told to MAKE THEM right after you boot your computer for the first time. If you have not, you should. If the second partition of your hard drive (usually D) that contains your backup files crashes (usually hardware failure) along with the first partition, you will have no operating system to reinstall.
Go to start, help, and search for create recovery disks.. IT TAKES A LOT OF TIME AND HAVE THE BLANK DISKS ON HAND BEFORE YOU START.
If you do not feel prepared, have a friend who has done it help..
AND back up your documents, movies, pictures and music, and everything else you love and will miss BECAUSE..
it is not a matter of if your harddrive will crash and be gone forever, it is WHEN... SO... even if you intend to buy a new computer when ever you have hardware failure, you NEED to back up your files regularly so they can be installed on the new computer.
JJ
Old 10-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Sage

I'm running Office 97 within Windows 7 64 bit without problems. I would expect newer versions of Office would run as well.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
JimJoe

Been running MSO 2007 from the time it came out and added Windows 7 over a year ago. No problems at all.

Office 2010 has been out for a few months now but I have not upgraded to it yet. I do have friends that are using 2010 and have had no problems but they are in IT support so they get to play with all the new stuff first.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Veteran member
Default Thanks for confirming..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwind View Post
Been running MSO 2007 from the time it came out and added Windows 7 over a year ago. No problems at all.

Office 2010 has been out for a few months now but I have not upgraded to it yet. I do have friends that are using 2010 and have had no problems but they are in IT support so they get to play with all the new stuff first.
Thanks for confirming what the links in my post said.. but I must say..
OCCASIONALLY printers for example can have trouble printing correctly some displays such as spreadsheets.. when either the program software or the operating system is upgraded.
If you have that problem, your choices are:
1. Go to the printer website and look for an upgraded printer driver..
and if that does not work.
2. Live with the printer problem or get a new printer.

POINT about printers.
They make their money on selling you INK. Research and remember that when you buy a printer.
Upgrading your printer can save you LOTS of money if the new printer is cheaper to print and you print alot.
JJ
Old 10-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Veteran member

Oh yes printers. During my IT working days I was the printer support person. Covered hundreds of network HP laser and HP inkjet/deskjet printers located over 450 location all over the US, Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico. Have a nice collection of HP service manuals for the laser stuff but zero on the inkjet/deskjet. Mostly older manuals as they changed stuff so fast.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.