Refurbished computers?

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2023, 07:35 AM

I have purchased two desktop computer systems refurbished by the manufacturer and by a local authorized dealer. Both gave a short warranty, but I purchased an extension just in case. The HP system lasted more than 7 years. One call to replace the HD under warranty after 3 years. Great computer. Hp has a refurbished computer site. Buy only if certified by HP.

The other was a Dell. Reliable for several years .. until I donated it sans hard drive. The Hp was more upgradable. Again, buy certified by the manufacturer or a reliable certified dealer.
Apple also has a refurb site. You just have to buy a system that can run the latest operating system.
For laptops, the battery will have a shorter life, but the computer itself is likely great if certified. Again , with systems being soldered and hard to upgrade, get enough power for the next os upgrade.
Old 09-29-2023, 07:39 AM
Default Mac of all trades

but a Mac from Mac of all Trades I brought 5 of them from this retailer and they re authorized Apple resale ,never had a problem, good prices.
Old 09-29-2023, 07:40 AM

As others have mentioned, I would NEVER buy a refurbished computer. Most will come with hard drive that you should immediately remove. Since malware can be added onto components, I wouldn't trust most of the hardware. Just spend a little bit more and buy new....
Old 09-29-2023, 07:47 AM

Latitude Laptops
Old 09-29-2023, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrjck View Post
I would not hesitate to purchase a used or "refurbished" computer. The one thing I would always do is either replace the storage drive(s) or reformat them and then reinstall the Windows OS. If the computer is relatively new (last five years or so), and it had a licensed version of Windows 10 or 11, then the Windows install should pick up the digital license automatically. You can get a new SATA 500 GB SSD or NVME M.2 SSD for about $25 or a 1TB for about $35.
Good luck expecting Windows to pick up the digital license automatically on a refurbished computer. The Windows license is for one computer only, and they use a digital fingerprint method to identify the specific computer. If you replace major components, it may be almost impossible to reinstall Windows, even if you have the Windows product code.
Old 09-29-2023, 09:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I can deal with dents and the like but is there anything else to worry about with refurbished computers?
after reading most of the threads obviously from people not in the know, you should always buy refurbished from the manufacturer no other place. Here's why, Other outlets may tamper with them in such a way that it causes problems in the future. When you buy refurb from the manufacturer you are getting one right out of "the shop" aka their refurb facility. Manufacturers do this all the time. When they refurb a computer, they will look at anything that has failed or near failing, and inadequate with 'today's standard' . In many cases should some part be obsolete they will use the current version (this will never be mentioned so consider it a hidden benefit). As far as picking up virus, etc. That doesn't happen. The drive is typically replaced during refurb. Each manufacturer has a setup that produces first install software & OS images for new machines, they will use one of those. The old drives will go through a different process to evaluate them before they get zeroed and redone.

Your only issue is the processor and age, they will tell you if it's able to run Win11 or not. Considering Win11 isn't 'settled down' as of yet, you have a couple years to wait if you so choose.

So due to these processes is why you deal directly with the manufacturers, not amazon or best buy. These are not like the "open box" which personally I stay far away from. I used to buy refurbs for the kids, never had a single problem, and they lasted as long as the new ones did.

Do you homework.
Old 09-29-2023, 09:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Good luck expecting Windows to pick up the digital license automatically on a refurbished computer. The Windows license is for one computer only, and they use a digital fingerprint method to identify the specific computer. If you replace major components, it may be almost impossible to reinstall Windows, even if you have the Windows product code.
That is completely incorrect. When they refurb the license will be changed if necessary. Happens often.
Old 09-29-2023, 09:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarAirlines View Post
As others have mentioned, I would NEVER buy a refurbished computer. Most will come with hard drive that you should immediately remove. Since malware can be added onto components, I wouldn't trust most of the hardware. Just spend a little bit more and buy new....
totally false. that's pure assumption and lack of knowledge of the process
Old 09-29-2023, 09:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
That is completely incorrect. When they refurb the license will be changed if necessary. Happens often.
The poster (Post No. 15) implied that you can buy a refurbished computer and then replace storage components, and reinstall the Windows software yourself. I don't believe that is possible when you don't even have the Windows product code. He also said that the computer would pick up the license number automatically. I don't think that will happen.
Old 09-29-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I've done it more times than I can count. The Windows 10 or 11 digital license is stored on the motherboard I believe in the bios. It remains with the motherboard. Move the motherboard to another PC case and the license goes with it. A windows install will pick it right up. I did it this week with my laptop. The touchpad is not working correctly and HP has accepted a warranty return. They indicated that the M.2 ssd might be reimaged during the repair and I would lose all my data. I simply swapped another clean M.2 ssd and installed Windows 11. It picked the digital license up instantly. They can do whatever they want with that ssd. I needed Windows installed so they could see that the touchpad is not working right.
Old 09-29-2023, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,377 Times in 2,519 Posts

The spare computer in our house has always been a refurb.
Our present one is a Dell, and it has worked well for donkeys years, and everyone keeps telling me how bad Dell are and shouldn't go near them.
Actually, it is a bit slow nowadays, and uses a lot more coal to get the steam pressure up, but apart from that, it's fine.
Old 09-29-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
The poster (Post No. 15) implied that you can buy a refurbished computer and then replace storage components, and reinstall the Windows software yourself. I don't believe that is possible when you don't even have the Windows product code. He also said that the computer would pick up the license number automatically. I don't think that will happen.
You would be correct if the system has a non-digital license. Prior to digital licenses, the Windows Key was printed either somewhere on the computer or it came with the box if you bought a Windows install disk. Digital licenses are stored on the motherboard. Obviously sometime in the life of the computer you might update your storage drive. You can try to clone your existing one which can be a mess or simply install Windows on the new drive. Once booted, it will look for the digital license. One word of caution, when installing the new drive, make sure the version of Windows on the usb flash drive is the same as the one on the digital license. For instance, Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro. I've made this mistake a few times. If you do, then just go back and reinstall with the correct version. It will pick up the license.

Last edited by cjrjck; 09-29-2023 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-29-2023, 10:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrjck View Post
You would be correct if you the system has a non-digital license. Prior to digital licenses, the Windows Key was printed either somewhere on the computer or it came with the box if you bought a Windows install disk. Digital licenses are stored on the motherboard. Obviously sometime in the life of the computer you might update your storage drive. You can try to clone your existing one which can be a mess or simply install Windows on the new drive. Once booted, it will look for the digital license. One word of caution, when installing the new drive, make sure the version of Windows on the usb flash drive is the same as the one on the digital license. For instance, Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro. I've made this mistake a few times. If you do, then just go back and reinstall with the correct version. It will pick up the license.
Thanks for the information. Apparently Windows licensing has changed. I also read that you can install Windows 11 on multiple computers as long as you don't activate the license? Wouldn't a new computer come with Windows already activated?
Old 09-29-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I can deal with dents and the like but is there anything else to worry about with refurbished computers?
I always buy my computers from Dell’s outlet. They sell scratch and dent and refurbished. They include a full warranty.
Old 09-29-2023, 10:16 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
I think that a refurbished computer, cell phone, etc.and is Factory Refurnished and not by the user. I have owned 2 Dell refurbished laptops and they were every bit like new with a warranty. Dell, Acer, Lenovo, etc. are all good to get if the refurbishment was done by the factory.
Closed Thread

Tags
refurbished, computers, worry, dents, deal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.