Regrets switching from Windows to MAC?

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2011, 08:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool It's all about the software. . .

In the end, it's all about the software. Even viruses are just software.

If you are using software applications that are unavailable for the Mac, you might not be happy, no matter how easy it is to use. In most cases you can find an alternative, but means you will have to learn new ways of doing things.

Finally, you can run Windows [and Windows applications] on the Mac. This might help your transition and allow you to use those "must have" Windows applications.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Default Macbook vs PC

I have a Mac at home and use a PC at the office. I love both for different reasons.

I use a lot of excel spreadsheets at work and can fly around the keyboard with key commands almost without thinking.

The Mac spreadsheets I am having trouble navigating as easily. It's just a learning curve.

The Mac is great because the battery lasts literally hours and hours, vs the PC which at best lasts only an hour.

Good luck!
Old 02-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Default Chose Macs over PCs

I used PCs at work and at home for many years. I switched to Macs about 3 years ago, my wife still uses a PC. I spend a lot more time troubleshooting problems with my wife's PC than I do with my Mac. While there is a greater selection of software for the PC, there are plenty of programs available for the Mac to do pretty much whatever you need to do. I would not switch back to a PC under any circumstances that I can imagine. The seamless integration with an iPad, iPod or iPhone is an added bonus.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:02 PM

I love my MAC. My daughter got a MAC when she was in college years ago. This is the computer of choice for many college-bound students. Then we went out and purchased one. I would never ever go back to a Windows computer. There are literally no viruses that attack a MAC. If you need help fixing something with your MAC, you can take it to a MAC store. BTW, I wish they would get a MAC store in the Villages to check out what's new on the horizon. The closest store here is in the mall in Orlando. With Windows, I had to call some place in India when Windows was still under warranty! Talk about frustration! That was my experience.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati1974 View Post
We are fed up with Windows and all the inherent flaws, viruses, and lack of help. We're ready to purchase a Mac. Does anyone regret switching?
Best thing we ever did, actually we are a 2 mac house now
Wanabee future TVer
Old 02-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Default It depends on what you want

Macs are, for the most part, the "date movie" of computers. They are easy to use. They are fun. They do not require or expect much expertise from their users. In fact, they really don't like to be "fiddled with."

The Mac interface (operating system) is elegant. Because hardware and software were developed together -- so long as you don't have to upgrade a Mac - you'll be in heaven.

Macs are better for media users. For casual users - simple media creation software is bundled in the operating system.

Macs are less likely to get viruses. As much as Steve Jobs would like to attribute this to superior software - it really reflects the relative lack of Macs computers vs. PCs. Macs are less worth hacking.

On the downside, Macs are more expensive - especially as you move up the food chain to more robust desktops.

You generally pay a premium for a Mac - though on the lower consumer end this difference may occasionally be small (Apple is a very integrated company. They prefer to sell direct to consumers via their website or "Apple Stores." They develop much of their own software. What they don't make on hardware - they make up for on software or media sales....this is especially true in the case of the Ipad).

Downsides???

Macs are a bear to upgrade. The joke with techs is..."How do you upgrade a Mac??? Buy a new Mac."

Software is limited. Apple is stingy with it's source code. Apple generally prefers it's own software developers or it's traditional software supporters...some of Adobe (Photoshop and Dreamweaver -- but, not Flash) and ironically Microsoft (Office).

You might pay almost double for Mac hardware additions such as Rem, hard drives and optical drives.

Windows PC's run the gamut. Some are great...some stink.

Windows 7 is a robust, stable, operating system and it far easier for more advanced users to work on. There is a ton of customizing opportunities to upgrade the hardware and software on PCs.

It's rare to find software that doesn't have a Window's version. There is a ton of free software for Windows - more than Macs.

Windows PC's (especially on higher end machines) are substantially cheaper - so much so, it's almost silly - than equivalent Macs. Moreover, if you are comfortable with upgrading, you can keep a Windows PC on the cutting edge far longer without needing to purchase a new PC.

I work in systems security for the Feds. We use PCs. I am comfortable with PCs and personally own one - though I owned Macs early on (they totally smoked Windows before server NT and desktop XP).

For most casual users - I think you'll love a Mac. If you are a more advanced user, you'll prefer a PC...unless you work in graphics design...and even that is changing.

Just remember - you will generally pay a premium for Macs and you will have to accept limitations on Mac software and customizing options. For most Villagers, the ease of working on a Mac, will overcome these objections.

BTW - I anticipate my divorce will be final next month. I'll retire at the end of the year and will be moving down to the Villages early next year.

It sounds like you have created an ideal life/community. I'm looking forward to joining it.

Gary
Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbor53 View Post
Macs are, for the most part, the "date movie" of computers. They are easy to use. They are fun. They do not require or expect much expertise from their users. In fact, they really don't like to be "fiddled with."

The Mac interface (operating system) is elegant. Because hardware and software were developed together -- so long as you don't have to upgrade a Mac - you'll be in heaven.

Macs are better for media users. For casual users - simple media creation software is bundled in the operating system.

Macs are less likely to get viruses. As much as Steve Jobs would like to attribute this to superior software - it really reflects the relative lack of Macs computers vs. PCs. Macs are less worth hacking.

On the downside, Macs are more expensive - especially as you move up the food chain to more robust desktops.

You generally pay a premium for a Mac - though on the lower consumer end this difference may occasionally be small (Apple is a very integrated company. They prefer to sell direct to consumers via their website or "Apple Stores." They develop much of their own software. What they don't make on hardware - they make up for on software or media sales....this is especially true in the case of the Ipad).

Downsides???

Macs are a bear to upgrade. The joke with techs is..."How do you upgrade a Mac??? Buy a new Mac."

Software is limited. Apple is stingy with it's source code. Apple generally prefers it's own software developers or it's traditional software supporters...some of Adobe (Photoshop and Dreamweaver -- but, not Flash) and ironically Microsoft (Office).

You might pay almost double for Mac hardware additions such as Rem, hard drives and optical drives.

Windows PC's run the gamut. Some are great...some stink.

Windows 7 is a robust, stable, operating system and it far easier for more advanced users to work on. There is a ton of customizing opportunities to upgrade the hardware and software on PCs.

It's rare to find software that doesn't have a Window's version. There is a ton of free software for Windows - more than Macs.

Windows PC's (especially on higher end machines) are substantially cheaper - so much so, it's almost silly - than equivalent Macs. Moreover, if you are comfortable with upgrading, you can keep a Windows PC on the cutting edge far longer without needing to purchase a new PC.

I work in systems security for the Feds. We use PCs. I am comfortable with PCs and personally own one - though I owned Macs early on (they totally smoked Windows before server NT and desktop XP).

For most casual users - I think you'll love a Mac. If you are a more advanced user, you'll prefer a PC...unless you work in graphics design...and even that is changing.

Just remember - you will generally pay a premium for Macs and you will have to accept limitations on Mac software and customizing options. For most Villagers, the ease of working on a Mac, will overcome these objections.

BTW - I anticipate my divorce will be final next month. I'll retire at the end of the year and will be moving down to the Villages early next year.

It sounds like you have created an ideal life/community. I'm looking forward to joining it.

Gary
Gary,
Excellent summary. As someone who has used both Macs and PCs extensively, I agree with everything you said!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:37 PM

After using almost every Windows operating system since Windows 3.0, we bought our first Mac about 16 months ago and will not go back. Most Mac owners "love" their Macs - I now know why.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
This is like the gas vs electric hob knob. I have both, a PC with windows and a Mac plus an Ipad. And they both have there purpose and usefulness. Both are easy to use, I do like the Mac reliability, but the PC has better access to many things. So both have there useful place in the world of personal computing. Same as golf carts. I have a gas and electric and I like both as each has it's place in TV. However, if I could only have one, it would be the PC. (and gas)
I always enjoy your answers to posts I2ridehd. You never put anyone down and are obviously well informed. You tell it like it is and are very well versed in many subjects, cooking, investing, etc. I've met you at Crispers and look forward to talking to you again. Sorry I got off the computer subject. I take your comments with more than a grain of salt. You are a great addition to this forum.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:26 AM

I sold IBM mainframes, and never thought I would switch to Mac. But I did about 4 years ago and also have never looked back. I made the switch partly because of computer virus problems on my PC. Between my MacBook and gmail, I am all set.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Red face I don't quite have the touch yet........

I am still getting to know my new iPad. I admit that my strong suit is not in reading directions.

We were recently in TV for a really, really short time. While there, I read that there was to be a meeting where kind and patient Mac users were making themselves available to give individual help to people like me. Had we not had to leave before the day of the meeting, I definitely would have been there, in search of someone who would have mercy.

I keep trying to find spellcheck and the delete button. I end up somehow putting lower-case letter i where it should be capitalzed and I thought I had done that.

And I keep ending up in places on TOTV where I did not mean to go. I find myself on posters' profile pages when all I intended to do was hit that little
arrow to read the last post in a thread. I accidentally click on ads. Jerome and me -- and also the ad for the TOTV book. I have opened those ads fairly
often while trying to master the art of the touch.

And if you catch me wandering aimlessly around in the chatroom, please understand that I did not mean to do that. I have put myself there while aiming for a different place. I have never tried to do chat. I could never communicate with anybody there bc of my awful typing -- so bad that I have to look at my fingers a lot. (At least with the iPad, I have to watch only one finger.)

But in spite of all these minor annoyances, I really do like my new iPad. Its portability is wonderful. I really like being able to change the size of the print with that fingers-maneuver that I have managed t master.

But for the rest and for now.....

I remain,
Fat Fingered Boomer
Old 02-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default And another thing......

I was trying to fix the post above.

I cannot fix that paragraph you see there that looks like I am trying to write in stanzas or free verse or both.

And yes, I saw some typos. But I could not get back to them. They were refusing to be fixed by not letting me get back at 'em.

So I had decided to give up and ditch the whole thing, but then thought.....oh, what the heck, I will send it anyway.

And that's when I found out that my post above had already sent itself.

Do iPads have minds of their own?

Boomer
Old 02-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Veteran member

For anyone thinking of getting any new Apple products, here is a guide to know when to buy.

The new macbookpros were just announced this week, and the new version of the ipad comes out March 3rd...just a few more days.

Here is a great link to look at before you buy;

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Frank
Old 02-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I was trying to fix the post above.

I cannot fix that paragraph you see there that looks like I am trying to write in stanzas or free verse or both.

And yes, I saw some typos. But I could not get back to them. They were refusing to be fixed by not letting me get back at 'em.

So I had decided to give up and ditch the whole thing, but then thought.....oh, what the heck, I will send it anyway.

And that's when I found out that my post above had already sent itself.

Do iPads have minds of their own?

Boomer
Well, yes - Macs ARE smarter than we are. Even smarter than my daughter's new boarder collie.

Personally, I've never been able to find the spellcheck on my Mac, but once in a while I Can click on VIEW and get it back to normal size print. Haven't really figured that one out yet, but still would not give up my MAC. I, too, have a Macbook and a PC but only got out the PC once in the last 3 years (because I didn't want' to let a houseguest borrow my MAC).

(Where is the spellcheck, BTW)?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Veteran member

Here you go Ohiogirl,

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/05/07/mac-1...n-spell-check/

http://macmost.com/spell-check-in-ma...lications.html

Frank

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.