ROKU Streaming Stick Plus

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2018, 08:13 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts
Default ROKU Streaming Stick Plus

Does anyone use this? Can it be bought locally?
Old 03-25-2018, 08:17 AM

We bought three of them at Walmart. They work very nicely and installation is simple. I'm sure you know you must have wi-fi.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:17 AM

Best Buy, Or Walmart. $50.00
Old 03-25-2018, 08:34 AM

We bought the Amazon Fire stick, we are very happy with it, if you are a Amazon Prime Member you get hundreds of free movies plus shows and much more.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:38 AM

Another thumbs up for the ROKU! Easy to install and use.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:12 AM

ROKU steams content over the internet using your WiFi. You can get free channels from ROKU but they do air commercials. You can also stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Sling TV, Direct TV now, etc. using the ROKU but you have to pay a small fee for each to get the passwords. For example, Netflix is about $10 per month. Clear picture and only interruption of service- when your internet goes down.

I think this is the wave of future TV, cable companies have continually raised their prices year after year and consumers have had enough. Remember when TV's had a dial you turned for channels and it was free? The $200+ monthly bills most people pay with Comcast/Xfinity/etc. are more than a small car payment. Something needs to change and streaming TV along with a local channel antenna seem to be the choice of the ever increasing cord cutting movement.

If I could predict which streaming platform was going to take the lead....I'd buy stock now, but it is still unclear who will prevail.

Last edited by Sgroemm; 03-25-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:26 AM
Gold member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgroemm View Post
ROKU steams content over the internet using your WiFi. You can get free channels from ROKU but they do air commercials. You can also stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Sling TV, Direct TV now, etc. using the ROKU but you have to pay a small fee for each to get the passwords. For example, Netflix is about $10 per month. Clear picture and only interruption of service- when your internet goes down.

I think this is the wave of future TV, cable companies have continually raised their prices year after year and consumers have had enough. Remember when TV's had a dial you turned for channels and it was free? The $200+ monthly bills most people pay with Comcast/Xfinity/etc. are more than a small car payment. Something needs to change and streaming TV along with a local channel antenna seem to be the choice of the ever increasing cord cutting movement.

If I could predict which streaming platform was going to take the lead....I'd buy stock now, but it is still unclear who will prevail.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Do I understand correctly that there is no DVR ability/capability with the various streaming devices?

We currently view almost nothing via direct broadcast due to the seemingly endless commercials.....hence we record almost everything we watch routinely.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We currently view almost nothing via direct broadcast due to the seemingly endless commercials
Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon prime stream a lot, I think most, of network shows without any commercials after they have been broadcast over the air. Sometimes it's a few days later or after the end of the season.

Not free of course, streaming services run about $10 to $15 a month.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:00 PM

We bought the Amazon Fire Stick and had to return it because it wasn't compatible with Bright House/Spectrum.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:59 AM

Another alternative is to try YouTubeTV over the internet using Roku. 7 days free then about $45/month. Unlimited DVR cloud capability. Most of the channels you want including ability to watch ESPN3. If happy with it cancel your cable TV or Satellite TV. May not be quite as good but 1/2 to 1/3 the price. I found them to be user friendly when signing up, cancelling and during the free trial. Only reason I cancelled was DirecTV dropped their price to $45/mo when I threatened to cancel. We'll see if it holds.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count'n the days View Post
We bought the Amazon Fire Stick and had to return it because it wasn't compatible with Bright House/Spectrum.
Why did it not work with BrightHouse/Spectrum?
Old 03-29-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphy View Post
Why did it not work with BrightHouse/Spectrum?
Bright House/Spectrum did not come up as an option that you could use with it. We returned it and bought ROKU and it works fine.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count'n the days View Post
Bright House/Spectrum did not come up as an option that you could use with it. We returned it and bought ROKU and it works fine.
It has nothing to do with your ISP, it works off your router. If you use wifi, the Amazon fire stick will work.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:26 AM
Gold member

I have 4 Amazon Firesticks and Centurylink and everything works great.
Closed Thread

Tags
bought, locally, stick, streaming, roku

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.