Xfinity/Comcast Modem & Router questions

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2023, 05:20 PM
Default Xfinity/Comcast Modem & Router questions

I own an 8 year old Motorola Modem SB6141 and a 5 year old Router that to date are working. The modem is not on the Xfinity must replacement list for March. I am considering replacing them because of their age. I know there are modem/router combinations as one unit available for purchase, or I can rent from Xfinity. My questions are:
1. Anyone have experience with the combination modem/router positive or negative or should I stay with the separate units?
2. If you purchased your own combination modem/router what specifically did you purchase?
3. Opinions on purchase or rent from Xfinity? I understand it is $15/month to rent. Do they tack on any taxes or fees to that charge?
Old 02-18-2023, 06:02 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Just bought a Arris modem from the approved list for 55 at Amazon. Tp link mesh router for same price. Runs much faster than the xfinity rental. Try it. Can send back if not satisfied

ARRIS® SURFboard® SB6183 Cable Modem, White
Old 02-18-2023, 06:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,135 Times in 815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger 2006 View Post
1. Anyone have experience with the combination modem/router positive or negative or should I stay with the separate units?
2. If you purchased your own combination modem/router what specifically did you purchase?
I also purchased my own Motorola model combination unit from Amazon 2 years ago and works great.
I had to get the model that excepts my landline phone.
Old 02-18-2023, 08:15 PM
Default Own vs. rent?

Quote:
I own an 8 year old Motorola Modem SB6141 and a 5 year old Router that to date are working. The modem is not on the Xfinity must replacement list for March. I am considering replacing them because of their age. I know there are modem/router combinations as one unit available for purchase, or I can rent from Xfinity. My questions are:
3. Opinions on purchase or rent from Xfinity? I understand it is $15/month to rent. Do they tack on any taxes or fees to that charge?
About 3 years ago, I purchased a new Netgear AC-1600 WiFi Cable Modem Router for my Xfinity Internet service. We are seasonal, and have been terminating our service every Spring when we leave, rather than putting it "on vacation" (to avoid the significant raise in rates when my "introductory" period expired). After successfully reconnecting for 2 (or 3, can't remember which) years, this past Fall, we were not connecting. Ended up having an Xfinity Service technician come to our house. Almost first thing he wanted to do was have me agree to rent one of their modem-routers. He connected their new modem-router in our house, it would still not connect to Xfinity's service -- until he replaced a couple of old connections outside. Then it seemed to connect fine. I asked if he could reconnect my Netgear AC-1600. His response was that due to some upgrades Xfinity had made in their service during the past few months, he was sure it wouldn't work, and assured me that the rental on their "good" modem-router is only $10 per month. We accepted the rental, which has since become $15 per month. I have never been 100% confident that my Netgear AC-1600 won't work any more, but have not taken the trouble to try to switch. Just to mention, we're in a patio villa (which to my understanding should not require as powerful a router as a larger house).
To answer OP's questions: (1) I've always used the combination Modem/Router, & been successful, except for the above-mentioned instance. (2) Rent vs. buy: Probably no one right answer for everyone. Depends on price you can buy at, and how much/how often technology advances beyond capability of the unit you buy. As to tax, with regard to the monthly billings, everything is lumped together, I assume taxes are levied on everything.

Finally, I'd appreciate any opinions of knowledgeable folks as to whether it is reasonable to believe that my 3-year-old Netgear AC-1600 is really obsolete??
Old 02-18-2023, 09:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I owned my own for about two years and it kept me from getting the Xfinity extender which did the job covering our old house. I think it's worth the $15 a month just to take away the excuse from Xfinity that it's the Modem/Router if I ever do have a problem. I heard that twice when I was using Motorola from their approved list. It's a personal choice. I took the easy way out! Happy with the decision.

Many people around the new neighborhood are having Spectrum problems. Who would have ever thought Xfinity would make me look good? Unbelievable.
Old 02-18-2023, 10:12 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,979 Times in 758 Posts

Some routers automatically check for updates and subsequently send them. If not, ideally, your router firmware should be updated at least once in five years. In case there are many devices connected to it on a regular basis, every three years is also a good time to check up on your router firmware.Jan 31, 2022
Old 02-19-2023, 08:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1 View Post
I have never been 100% confident that my Netgear AC-1600 won't work any more, but have not taken the trouble to try to switch. I'd appreciate any opinions of knowledgeable folks as to whether it is reasonable to believe that my 3-year-old Netgear AC-1600 is really obsolete??
Why not just try it?

If it doesn't work, then switching back should automatically reconnect the other device.
Old 02-19-2023, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,420 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
1. I have the combination unit from Xfinity and it works well for me. Articles online and posts on ToTV will say that if you want the absolute fastest speeds and best features you need to use separate units. I don't need that and prefer to have fewer power cords and boxes to take care of.

2. N/A

3. My bill doesn't break out where the taxes come from but since $1.05 is 7% of $15 so I assume I pay tax on the rental for a total of $16.05. There is a discussion of rent vs buy on another thread but I feel avoiding an argument over whose equipment is the problem is worth the $16.05.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-20-2023, 06:00 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

I have xfinity and use the Netgear c7000 V2 combo, works very well
Old 02-20-2023, 06:06 AM

I bought a Motorola 24 x 8 Cable Modem Plus AC1900 Router Model MG7700. Works great
NO $15 a month.
Old 02-20-2023, 07:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

yeah time for the motorola to retire -

1) combination units, especially the Arris are BLAH. (technical term used by cool nerds) They also do not deliver full bandwidth. Most units you get from the "transmiter" are weak, low end, etc. Where this comes in play is your usage. For example, I run quite a bit of things here that demand the ability to burst as well as heavy stream, I keep it safe by going with 1GB Fiber as I know I won't drown it but I can do what is necessary when I have to.

2) combinations no, individual yes unless.... So I went with Orbi as it was the best of the few that could transmit wifi at 1GB, which incidentally solves the large problem of these other companies and their all in one units. EVEN if they say you are getting the speed we can see it, that is ONLY to the modem/router it is not what is being transmitted from the wifi antennae

3) I always own my own gear, when they want to trap you into having to use their modem, I get it bridged so it's only a modem.

hope that helps
Old 02-20-2023, 07:45 AM
Veteran member
Default Compare

I've had a Netgear Nighthawk modem/router and it was good enough that I gave it to my daughter. I now have an Arris SB8200 modem and a Eero mess router set up and it works great. What I suggest is you jot down the advice everyone is offering, then go onto YouTube see what reviews they might have and if there any comparisons.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:09 AM
Veteran member

Why would anybody ask Best Buy for technical advice? Same goes for Comcast/spectrum on network setup advice? The only question to ask Comcast/spectrum is if a modem is compatible with their network. None of these companies know home networks beyond the modem.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Compatibility list is on xfinity site
Old 02-20-2023, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,420 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Compatibility list is on xfinity site
What some are asking is whether the compatibility list is complete. Some of the replies indicate that it is not complete and modems not listed as compatible will work. The only way to know is to try yourself or ask if someone else has tried the particular modem you are interested in.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Closed Thread

Tags
xfinity, rent, modem/router, purchase, modem

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.