Anyone having problems with Comcast High Speed Internet?

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2008, 09:23 AM
rekop
Default Anyone having problems with Comcast High Speed Internet?

We've been in The Villages about 2 months, and signed up for Comcast high speed internet. We have a lot of problems getting onto the internet (once we're actually on, everything is fine). I'll double click my internet explorer icon, and only get on to the internet about half the time. The other half the computer just gets hung up, and I end up hitting Ctrl, alt., escape, and then get an error message that says program (internet explorer) not responding. I've gone on and on with the comcast people - tthey claimed my version of Intrnet explorer was corrupted - (I re-installed it yesterday and still have a problem); my home pate gets too much traffic (yahoo.com) - never had a problem with it before; I need to power down the modem - do it about once a day now; need to clean out my cache and get rid of cookies - did that yesterday. I'm running out of patience, and can't think of anything else to try. I just wondered if anyone else was having problems - maybe the problem is on the comcast end.

thanks.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:52 AM

About a month ago I was having problems with my Comcast mail account not being able to transfer my email over to my Outlook Express accoount. They gave all kinds of excuses on why it was happening but the end result was that they explained that a recent change in their server to Smartmail was causing the problem and they changed my email settings for me. Works great now. I use Comcast as my home page when entering the internet and have no problems in getting on.
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 11-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Default Problems

You might want to try Firefox for a browser; it's actually more user friendly. If it gets hung up than you'll know the problem is with your Comcast connection
Old 11-20-2008, 12:45 PM

Do you have more than one antivirus program installed?
Old 11-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Last March we had a problem with Comcast too. I downloaded AOL and have not had a problem since then. I go directly to AOL not IE.

Hope this helps

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 11-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Sage

Comcast was deadly slow a couple of days this week. I thought my computer had a virus, but other people with Comcast had the same problem.

Usually Comcast works well for me with Outlook Express. I open my mail in Yahoo.com.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Platinum member

There are some good suggestions here, but if you are still having problems, you can insist that Comcast come out and look at their hookup outside your house. That was the source of my problem, a badly corroded connection which they fixed for free because its their responsibility to bring in an adequate signal. If they find nothing wrong, you've narrowed the problem.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusluvit View Post
There are some good suggestions here, but if you are still having problems, you can insist that Comcast come out and look at their hookup outside your house. That was the source of my problem, a badly corroded connection which they fixed for free because its their responsibility to bring in an adequate signal. If they find nothing wrong, you've narrowed the problem.

Good suggestion. It never occurred to me that a connection could be the problem. I thought it was either my computer or else their whole system was down.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

no problems here, but I agree with previous post that you should have them check your external connection.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Platinum member
Default s it the cold??

We have noticed that in the last week during this cold spell and in the past when it is cold...we can not get online until about 10am or so....

I can't imagine that this day in age it is because of cold weather BUT...I guess it could be possible!

Suzy Toronto
Old 11-21-2008, 08:30 AM
Veteran member

ours has been running real good, havent had a problem yet. It is not as fast as they say it is. But it also depends on the website you are tying to connect to.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusluvit View Post
Could a connection problem cause an intermittent problem?

Strangely, cold weather does seem to worsen the problem. Or perhaps I'm just on the computer more!
Old 11-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleevee View Post
Last March we had a problem with Comcast too. I downloaded AOL and have not had a problem since then. I go directly to AOL not IE.

Hope this helps
I also logon to AOL rather than the Comcast site. I've always had good luck with AOL and it's more user-friendly than having to logon on to another site to read your emails on the IE Comcast site. And AOL is now free which is a big plus; also like their Buddy List.

Also, TV Computer Club is great for learning and getting help with any computer problems you may have. The membership fee won't break the bank either at $5/year.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 11-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Could a connection problem cause an intermittent problem?

Strangely, cold weather does seem to worsen the problem. Or perhaps I'm just on the computer more!

Barefoot....I am convinced it is the weather!! If it is under 50 degrees outside then we have NO internet at all....

Doesn't make sense...but it is the only time we have issues! Maybe when we cover the plants for the night we will cover the cable lines as well....if only I knew where they were!!
Old 11-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Sage
Default Comcast Lack of Response

OK computer experts, does the weather affect Comcast reception?

Some days my reception is normal high speed, and some days it is deadly slow, similar to Cassie. Yet GMoney seems to have no problems.

If it is a connection problem, it wouldn't be intermittent, would it?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.