Smart TV in lanai

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2016, 04:36 PM
Veteran member
Default Smart TV in lanai

I'm getting ready to install a TV in our recently enclosed lanai. There is a cable jack there. For another $10, more or less, Comcast will activate it and rent me another box. But I wonder:

My Smart TV gets WiFi feeds. If I put another Smart TV out there, do I even need a cable hook up? Probably will need an WiFi extender; there's a block wall the signal has to reckon with. Likely I'll hire some pros for the installation but, in advance, I'm curious about options and possibilities.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:39 PM
Sage

Since you're going to hire a pro to do the installation, contact Tom at VillagesAV.com, a sponsor on the board. He'll do a first class job of installing the TV and give you accurate advice on how best to enjoy it on your lanai.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:30 PM
Veteran member

I have Centurylink. I have 4 TVs and one has a wifi top box that I can move to any TV I want. So when I put a TV on my Lanai, I just move the wifi top box to the Lanai. The technician also gave me extra cables so I don't have to keep removing the cables every time.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:22 PM
Sage

We enclosed our lanai and added a TV. Direct TV charged me just $7.00 a month additional for another box. Might be worth checking to see how much it would be with Comcast.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:56 AM
Veteran member
Default Smart TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Audio Video View Post
Comcast has high definition digital adapters for $3.99 a month (or less) that will get you all the channels and a nice guide but no recorded shows or on demand. If you want a full function box, they are $9.99.

Smart TV's are great for Netflix and such but you won't be watching traditional TV without a cable box.
Thanks. I can live with just having Netflix and other streaming, et al, on the lanai. Not much to watch on real TV anyhow -- except for Martha Sugalski's haunting eyes.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The wifi will get you what ever is on the internet. But what comes only on the cable will need either the wire activated or a box to send the signal from the cable to a box on the TV.
Closed Thread

Tags
smart, cable, wifi, lanai, wall, extender;, block, hook, advance, installation, curious, possibilities, options, pros, reckon, hire, signal, jack, $10, enclosed, recently, ready, install, comcast, feeds

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.