Strange laptop logon problem

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2023, 01:49 PM
Default Strange laptop logon problem

I have an HP Envy laptop running Windows 10. This morning when I powered up the laptop and tried to enter my pin the letter keys (a,b,c) did not work. I'd press a key and nothing happened, no movement of the cursor, no error, nothing. However, the number keys did work. Yes, I pressed the number lock key to see if that was an issue. I then clicked on 'forgot my pin' and went through a verification process which required me to enter my alternate email address to get a verification code. Surprise, the letter keys worked fine which allowed me to enter the email address and get a code. After entering the code I got a warning about changing my pin and did I want to continue or cancel. I selected cancel and the normal Microsoft screen appeared just as it would have if I had been able to enter my pin at the very beginning. Everything worked fine. However, the next time I powered up the laptop the letter keys once again did not work and I had to again go through the 'forgot my pin' process.

Any ideas what is causing this or how I fix it? Thanks
Old 04-21-2023, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,508 Posts

Suspicious! Ask a pro you know, like geek squad, etc.
Old 04-21-2023, 02:14 PM

Fix: Windows Keyboard not Working at Login - Appuals.com
Old 04-21-2023, 02:16 PM

Same thing happened to me a few days back...turns out when I removed Windows 11 to go back to Windows 10 as part of that process, the system asked me if I would rather use a pin code on booting up. I had forgotten that I must have said "yes" and I input a 4 number code. Hence after that on bootup and in the passcode window box it would only accept numbers and not letters. I googled how to get rid of that and followed the instructions which did allow me to change my logon code back the combination of letters and numbers that I had always used. That I'm sure is what has happened to you.

These are the instructions I followed:
Go to >Settings >Accounts >Sign-in options and under 'Windows Hello PIN' click on the Change button. Check the box for 'Include letters and symbols' and then set up your new PIN.

Last edited by deano_hoosier; 04-21-2023 at 02:25 PM. Reason: added information
Old 04-21-2023, 02:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,743 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Suspicious! Ask a pro you know, like geek squad, etc.
The Geek Squad will charge you, but Office Depot on Rt 441 will diagnose a computer problem for free.

I would suggest upgrading to Windows 11 if your computer is capable of doing it. It's free.

Another suggestion is to remove the PIN from your Windows system. Then restart and set up a new PIN using all numbers. Whenever I use a PIN, I use only numbers. I use letters for a password, not a PIN.
Old 04-21-2023, 02:28 PM
Sage

From Windows:

"Windows 10 PIN that contains letters and numbers isn't automatically accepted. When PIN in windows 10 contains letters and numbers, Windows doesn't automatically accept it unless user presses ENTER. But if the PIN only contains numbers (which is by default), then pressing ENTER is no longer necessary."
Old 04-21-2023, 02:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The Geek Squad will charge you, but Office Depot on Rt 441 will diagnose a computer problem for free.

I would suggest upgrading to Windows 11 if your computer is capable of doing it. It's free.

Another suggestion is to remove the PIN from your Windows system. Then restart and set up a new PIN using all numbers. Whenever I use a PIN, I use only numbers. I use letters for a password, not a PIN.
Don't think my Intelevision can do that.
Old 04-21-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano_hoosier View Post
Same thing happened to me a few days back...turns out when I removed Windows 11 to go back to Windows 10 as part of that process, the system asked me if I would rather use a pin code on booting up. I had forgotten that I must have said "yes" and I input a 4 number code. Hence after that on bootup and in the passcode window box it would only accept numbers and not letters. I googled how to get rid of that and followed the instructions which did allow me to change my logon code back the combination of letters and numbers that I had always used. That I'm sure is what has happened to you.

These are the instructions I followed:
Go to >Settings >Accounts >Sign-in options and under 'Windows Hello PIN' click on the Change button. Check the box for 'Include letters and symbols' and then set up your new PIN.
YES! THANK YOU! It's a four digit pin.
Old 04-22-2023, 06:13 AM

Please try the following steps:

Step 1: In the login screen, you can click the key logo to input the login password of the account.

Step 2:Open the “Settings” in Win menu and click on the “Account” icon to enter account settings.

Step 3:Choose “Sign-in option” and click “I forgot my PIN”, you can reset your PIN now.

If it is a local account, please input the local account login password, and then you can reset your PIN.

If it is a Microsoft account, a popup will ask you “Are you sure you forgot your PIN”, click “Continue” button. You need to verify your Microsoft account password, and then you can set a new PIN for your current account.

Restart your computer, choose the number logo, you can login your computer with the new PIN now.
Old 04-22-2023, 06:16 AM
Location: Chicago area but spend a month every year in The Villages
Default Laptop problem

Take it to Jacobs Computers on 301 in Wildwood. He will resolve it.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas View Post
YES! THANK YOU! It's a four digit pin.
Did you resolve the issue ?
Old 04-22-2023, 11:54 AM
Platinum member

I run 10, have never used a pin or even been asked if I wanted a pin. Have not heard good things about 11.
Old 04-22-2023, 12:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
I run 10, have never used a pin or even been asked if I wanted a pin. Have not heard good things about 11.
I have been using Windows 11 since it first came out. I have not had any problems with it. It works a lot like Windows 10, but it allows you to install apps and also offers interfaces and syncing with your phone and tablets. I haven't used all of those features, but I don't see any reason to not do the free upgrade.

Note that, if you have workers or other strangers in your house, I would recommend using a PIN or password to prevent unwanted access to your computer. It only takes a few minutes to copy your entire hard drive onto a flash drive.
Old 04-22-2023, 01:19 PM

I have a similar, but little different problem, ongoing now for 6 months. When my computer goes to sleep, sometimes, but not always, it's hard to wake up. I hit a key on the keyboard or tap the mouse and nothing happens. I wait 30-45 seconds, then finally it wakes up. I asked a tech pro about this but still have no resolution. (HP Pavilion i-5 running Windows 11)
Old 04-22-2023, 01:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLonzo View Post
I have a similar, but little different problem, ongoing now for 6 months. When my computer goes to sleep, sometimes, but not always, it's hard to wake up. I hit a key on the keyboard or tap the mouse and nothing happens. I wait 30-45 seconds, then finally it wakes up. I asked a tech pro about this but still have no resolution. (HP Pavilion i-5 running Windows 11)
Are you using the "sleep" or "hibernate" mode? If so, try just leaving your computer on all the time. The screen will turn off or go into the screen saver mode after a set amount of time that you can set. I haven't used the sleep or hibernate mode for years. Occasionally, I will restart the computer, but not very often.
Closed Thread

Tags
pin, keys, enter, laptop, work

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.