trojan virus

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2012, 03:33 PM

MSE is a choice for people who need the most basic security features. Otherwise, you are better off with free antivirus programs like Avast or AVG, which provide much more sophisticated features and have a better virus clean up rate.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a227795 View Post
MSE is a choice for people who need the most basic security features. Otherwise, you are better off with free antivirus programs like Avast or AVG, which provide much more sophisticated features and have a better virus clean up rate.
I agree with a proviso -- Avast conflicts with lots of software. If you have no conflicts....it is the software of choice. It does not work if you are using Carbonite as a cloud backup.

AVG...well AVG was the anti-virus of choice...then they got very pushy about their "pay" version, it almost became malware. I used AVG for years then they were no longer happy with ad sales and decided to become the new McAfee...at that point, I bailed.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Eternal Member
Default Norton NIS

I have had Norton NIS for years and have never had problems and have never had a virus or a trojan. Norton has caught them all.

I did take a spin with Avast and AVG and the "free" McAfee from Comcast but did not feel safe so I went back to Norton on all three PCs.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:33 PM

Don Kobes @391-9405 will fix any computer problem you have...period
Old 09-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
Microsoft Security Essentials is a free download and is very good....just go to the Microsoft web site
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Another vote for MS Essentiials and Malware Bytes.

Both are free downloads. Just Google them and download.You should run these programs once per week to ensure proptection.

I have been using them for two years with no problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
Me two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
Me3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1366 View Post
Microsoft Security Essentials is fantastic, free, easy to use, and it will automatically scan your computer at a set tie, the default time is Sunday night at 2:30 AM.
I agree with all of the above. Have been using Microsoft Essentials for a long time with no problems. It's free and has protected me from viruses. Some may say it's "basic" but it's been a perfect choice for me so far!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:01 PM

Anyone know of anyone that can help remove a malware that has locked my computer. Its the FBi scareware one that's out there right now. I can't seem to get anywhere with removing it but I'm not a computer expert either.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:34 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhappyday View Post
Anyone know of anyone that can help remove a malware that has locked my computer. Its the FBi scareware one that's out there right now. I can't seem to get anywhere with removing it but I'm not a computer expert either.
A friend of mine had that and had to take it to MMD to get it cleaned up.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
I have century link as my provider and use their virus protection. Their
virus program pick up a trojan virus but were not able to remove it.
I called them and said some viruses can get through and they want
$14.95 additional a month to have a tech clean it from my system.
Is this customary also is there a better way. I should add I did
restore my system to a previous date and the virus message did
not reappear. Not sure where I am on this.
I use Avast it is free or the upgraded version is $20 a year. $14.95 is a ridiculas amount to spend. They only get $19.95 a month for the service now they want another $14.95 to protect it!!?? Don't trust the telephone company.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:38 AM

The free antivirus program "Malwarebytes" is supposed to be able to remove this trojan.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I have comast as my internet provider and use the Norton suite provided by them. So far so good never had a problem whereas with AVG.....I had a problem and I was left with only comuter support (from AVG) to try and fix it. With Norton you can call them and they will Remotely take over your computer and clean your system..it works well .

That said Im no idiot...even with the best of safeguards you can become infected. The best deterence is to be cautious were you go on the net and be careful what you open.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
A friend of mine had that and had to take it to MMD to get it cleaned up.
Do you know what they charged your friend? I'm thinking if its much I can live without the laptop. Wish I could retrieve a few things off it.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhappyday View Post
Do you know what they charged your friend? I'm thinking if its much I can live without the laptop. Wish I could retrieve a few things off it.
If I remember, it was over $100 and took a couple of days.

Z

Old 12-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Eternal Member

With time on my hands (furniture truck is still on its way), if any of you want, I'm happy to give a go at fixing your computers. I am not a professional; but as the team leader for LAN systems for SSA in the Midwest (but spent much of my career in anti-fraud systems security), I might be able to solve the problem and the price is right...free.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson
Old 12-31-2012, 11:16 PM

I got the FBI hostage Virus where the notice pops up and stops you from going anywhere until you send money. It informs you that you were on a bad websites (Tiara Glassware oooh) and you can't get out of it. Free Malware Bytes cleaned it off through safe mode with internet. It blocked it for a while that way but after shutting down and stopping internet for a few hours and trying again, I successfully downloaded a newer version of Malware and then had to go to chameleon (attached program that had 4 or 5 types of help to cut through the virus stopping malware from downloading and viola), it was great. I have McAfee and it can only stop (as other virus protections) what it has time to work a solution to. If these virus creators would work on world hungry, the world population would be fat!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.