Understanding Computer Spam ??

Closed Thread
Old 08-05-2023, 04:09 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts
Default Understanding Computer Spam ??

I normally see spam messages showing up every day. Most are in my junk folder based upon rules I set. However, I normally get 10 to 15 in my deleted mail and a few in the inbox. Each day I see a parade of emails regarding things I won or purchased from CVS, Harbor Freight, Pending Package, Pickleball, Kohls, Dicks Sporting Good, etc often all from the same address ie today <Express@b.express.com>. I normally send one to Block and simply delete the rest. So, I never get email from that address again, but the next day similar mails but from a different address. My Email address is obviously targeted.

I have to look at the inbox and deleted mail file since some new EMAILS that I want somehow bypass the inbox and go directly into deleted mail.

Is the only solution changing my EMAIL address? I currently use a Hotmail account.
Old 08-05-2023, 04:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
I normally see spam messages showing up every day. Most are in my junk folder based upon rules I set. However, I normally get 10 to 15 in my deleted mail and a few in the inbox. Each day I see a parade of emails regarding things I won or purchased from CVS, Harbor Freight, Pending Package, Pickleball, Kohls, Dicks Sporting Good, etc often all from the same address ie today <Express@b.express.com>. I normally send one to Block and simply delete the rest. So, I never get email from that address again, but the next day similar mails but from a different address. My Email address is obviously targeted.

I have to look at the inbox and deleted mail file since some new EMAILS that I want somehow bypass the inbox and go directly into deleted mail.

Is the only solution changing my EMAIL address? I currently use a Hotmail account.
I have had legitimate e-mails go to the junk mail, and it seems that something in the formatting of the email triggered this action. I have had to actually have one sender added to my WHITE list so I would always see their e-mails in the in box.

As for your other question, IMHO, yes I would start a new e-mail account, and start telling everyone you want to hear from of the new address. I had to do this when moving here, and I ran both e-mails for several months until I saw almost no e-mail in the old account.
Old 08-05-2023, 04:45 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post

I hope someone has an answer to this, that works.

I own my own Domain Name for email and my Email Program does a great job of re-directing most of the Spam ... which #'s about 125 emails/day. I'm very careful with my email address, but once your email address shows up in cyberspace, it seems to recycle forever!
Old 08-05-2023, 04:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

When you say you send one to Block, does that mean you hit the Unsubscribe button? If so, that may be the problem. Hitting that button usually unsubscribes from legitimate sources but for SPAM mail it often just tells them there is a real human there so they send more.

I simply use my email system to mark those mails as SPAM. For me, this moves them to the SPAM folder and tells the system to watch for more of the same. It works for me on gmail and works for another user on yahoo mail.

I assume you are trying to be careful with the sites you visit and the links you click.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-05-2023, 06:58 PM

How to resolve this is very dependent upon the email client that you are using. Google, apple, microsoft and others all have different methods to help reduce spam. So it would be helpful if you provided the email clients you are working with

Gmail provides the ability to easily add custom filters that will effectively filter out junk mail … For example, you can easily filter out (and send to junk) any email that has the words “harbor freight” or “kohl’s winner” in the subject field (or the message body or the from field). I find this much more effective than blocking domains

Last edited by daniel200; 08-05-2023 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-05-2023, 07:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Your e-mail is on the "dark net" and not much you can do about it except change your e-mail address.

99.9% of my spam does into my junk folder in Gmail, and then I turn that off so I never
notice how many there are.

I created a new e-mail address for any important websites I visit like finance, utilities, banking.
Old 08-05-2023, 09:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel200 View Post
How to resolve this is very dependent upon the email client that you are using. Google, apple, microsoft and others all have different methods to help reduce spam. So it would be helpful if you provided the email clients you are working with

Gmail provides the ability to easily add custom filters that will effectively filter out junk mail … For example, you can easily filter out (and send to junk) any email that has the words “harbor freight” or “kohl’s winner” in the subject field (or the message body or the from field). I find this much more effective than blocking domains
I get those in clusters - sometimes I won't see one for a couple of weeks, then all of a sudden I get 10 every day for a week. Filtering out "harbor freight" won't help, because they spoof and use alt-keyboard or pixelated fake font graphics for the name, or misspell on purpose.

I'm absolutely positive it's because I've clicked on ads and/or sponsored posts, in the past. I don't do that anymore but the damage is done.

I have eight different e-mail addresses. One I use exclusively for "rewards cards" from various stores. That way - I know it's all spam anyway, and I don't ever have to read any of them.

I use one almost exclusively for things like doctors offices, the banks my credit cards are affiliated with, and so on. Things that actually matter.

Three more for a game I play and was on staff for, for a few years. I never get spam on any of those, because I don't use those e-mails for anything else, at all, ever. No store, or online shop, or Amazon, or anything else, has those e-mail addresses, so they can't sell them to anyone else.
Old 08-06-2023, 09:07 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
When you say you send one to Block, does that mean you hit the Unsubscribe button? If so, that may be the problem. Hitting that button usually unsubscribes from legitimate sources but for SPAM mail it often just tells them there is a real human there so they send more.

I simply use my email system to mark those mails as SPAM. For me, this moves them to the SPAM folder and tells the system to watch for more of the same. It works for me on gmail and works for another user on yahoo mail.

I assume you are trying to be careful with the sites you visit and the links you click.
Block is a message to my supplier not to the sender to unsubscribe.
Old 08-07-2023, 05:47 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,141 Times in 883 Posts

Hotmail has very bad junk mail issues. My Gmail account is SO MUCH BETTER. No junk basically at this point.
Old 08-07-2023, 06:07 AM
Veteran member

Just go out and setup rules in your email accounts to delete these unwanted emails, why have them clutter up your junk/spam folder? You can’t just go out and randomly delete ‘all’ from your junk folder because you could have legitimate emails in there once in a while
Old 08-07-2023, 06:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

I have two Hotmail accounts I use as throwaway addresses, for inquiries, or visits to sites as one offs. They get spammed to death.
My main email accounts for purchases and comms. are Yahoo and Gmail, and I get no outside spam at all with them.
Old 08-07-2023, 06:58 AM

You want a lot of different email addresses. One way is using Yahoo where they allow you to create 500 "temporary email addresses". You can create things like this:
MySpecialEmail-SiriusXm@yahoo.com <<< this one sells your email to many places
MySpecialEmail-DrSmith@yahoo.com
MySpecialEmail-CitiBank@yahoo.com
MySpecialEmail-CoxCable@yahoo.com
MySpecialEmail-JunkMail@yahoo.com <<< use for "you must provide an email to continue" sites

Every place you need to supply an email gets their own unique email. When you start getting spam sent to one of them, you know the origin of who sold your information. Delete just that one address to end all their spam. If you still want email from that original source, make a special filter to target just that one. Don't give a new address, because they will just sell it again.
Now go to the original merchant who sold your email and challenge them. Ask for a written answer about why they did that. Demand good-will compensation from them for sharing your private personal information. It's surprising what they will offer because they see the email address, instantly know you have solid proof, and know the publicity would cost them lots of business.
Old 08-07-2023, 07:52 AM

There are various methods that can be deployed to limit or reduce spam to your inbox but, practically speaking, eliminating spam in your email account will be about as successful as eliminating junk mail at your mailbox. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2023, 09:45 AM
Default unrollme.com

I have been using the unroll.com website for at least 3 years and it has cleared my yahoo inbox of a lot of unwanted mail. Go to the web site and see if you think it will help you. I have found that clicking "unsubscribe" on a lot of junk emails is worthless. If I go to my unroll me account and select "unsubscribe" for an address, I never see it again. You also have the option to put certain email addresses in a "rollup" folder in your email. I put emails from advertisers that are sometimes of interest so I can look at them if I want by going to that folder without getting all that in my inbox.You have to give access to your email account but I have had zero problems with it. I ordinarily am very reluctant to do that and am very cautious about sharing information.
Old 08-07-2023, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrdsg View Post
I have been using the unroll.com website for at least 3 years and it has cleared my yahoo inbox of a lot of unwanted mail. Go to the web site and see if you think it will help you. I have found that clicking "unsubscribe" on a lot of junk emails is worthless. If I go to my unroll me account and select "unsubscribe" for an address, I never see it again. You also have the option to put certain email addresses in a "rollup" folder in your email. I put emails from advertisers that are sometimes of interest so I can look at them if I want by going to that folder without getting all that in my inbox.You have to give access to your email account but I have had zero problems with it. I ordinarily am very reluctant to do that and am very cautious about sharing information.
Do you mean unroll.me?
Closed Thread

Tags
address, inbox, email, mail, deleted

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.