Update ?

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2023, 05:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts
Default Update ?

When Microsoft does a "Update", is it possible it could change some settings on your computer after you do the download?
Old 07-22-2023, 05:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Yes, it happens a lot. Some settings will revert back to the default.
Old 07-22-2023, 08:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

You did not mention what settings, but YES, I have seen some settings change.
Old 07-23-2023, 08:45 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
When Microsoft does a "Update", is it possible it could change some settings on your computer after you do the download?
The way Updates are written, they try to avoid changing settings......but it happens.

Larger Updates, they save all settings, then install update, then re-install your saved settings.......in theory.

Phone updates (mostly Apple) are terrible with saving settings.

In general, updates are worth the impact on settings.

Old 07-23-2023, 09:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post

Phone updates (mostly Apple) are terrible with saving settings.
Just last week there was a update on my I-phone.
After it downloaded, my screen mysteriously went for light to dark setting.
Old 07-23-2023, 10:01 AM

This past week, Microsoft decided I wanted to update to version 11, I did not want 10 and now they are pushing 11. I got onto my computer first thing in the morning and low and behold the Microsoft fairy had visited me during the night and changed the whole look of my desk top. I use my computer for searching items, for keeping in touch with friends and to keep me amused, so I was beyond annoyed. I no longer use a computer for business, those days are long gone. It took me ages to get my computer back and looking the same.
Old 07-23-2023, 10:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
This past week, Microsoft decided I wanted to update to version 11, I did not want 10 and now they are pushing 11. I got onto my computer first thing in the morning and low and behold the Microsoft fairy had visited me during the night and changed the whole look of my desk top. I use my computer for searching items, for keeping in touch with friends and to keep me amused, so I was beyond annoyed. I no longer use a computer for business, those days are long gone. It took me ages to get my computer back and looking the same.
Going from Windows 10 to 11 is more than just an update. It is a new operating system. In my opinion, Windows 11 is a better system than Windows 10. If you do a right mouse click on an empty space on the desktop, you will see all of the available desktop settings. Sometimes, change is good.
Old 07-23-2023, 10:34 AM
Veteran member

I had trouble finding the restart button after the switch.
Old 07-23-2023, 10:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
I had trouble finding the restart button after the switch.
You can always type something in the search space at the bottom of the desktop.
Old 07-24-2023, 04:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
actually MSFT doesn't decide, you decide. So in this you 'missed the memo' you are able to control whether or not you get updates, when, etc. Also when it wants to do a Win11 update it asks if you want to, and you ARE able to deny it also. It's totally under your control.

Using a computer for business means nothing, most IT depts control your laptop therefore you really don't have the depth to handle these events. I'd suggest brushing up before you do things that would get you hacked.
Old 07-24-2023, 04:52 AM
Veteran member

There are at least 2 solutions to the Windows update problem. 1) Chromebook. I started using a Chromebook about 10 years ago. Since then I never looked back. I was using Windows 7 years ago because I needed Quicken, but once I no longer needed it I went to option 2) Linux. Linux is a free open source that just works.
Old 07-24-2023, 06:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
There are at least 2 solutions to the Windows update problem. 1) Chromebook. I started using a Chromebook about 10 years ago. Since then I never looked back. I was using Windows 7 years ago because I needed Quicken, but once I no longer needed it I went to option 2) Linux. Linux is a free open source that just works.
I use Apache OpenOffice for some complicated spreadsheets. I find that it is essentially 100% compatible with Excel.

Do you know if Google (Chomebook) offers a similar free option?
Old 07-24-2023, 07:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
actually MSFT doesn't decide, you decide. So in this you 'missed the memo' you are able to control whether or not you get updates, when, etc. Also when it wants to do a Win11 update it asks if you want to, and you ARE able to deny it also. It's totally under your control.

I thought about this, then if my system slows down or other problems show up,
I'd feel compelled to do all the updates and possibly would help fix them.
Old 07-24-2023, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post

Using a computer for business means nothing, most IT depts control your laptop therefore you really don't have the depth to handle these events. I'd suggest brushing up before you do things that would get you hacked.
yes, but in the distant past we used to be able to choose which updates we wanted installed. now it's update all, no options
Old 07-24-2023, 08:14 AM

My company bought me a new laptop last year to work from home which has windows 11. My favorite is 7, but I can do 10 and 11. There are a few things in 10 and 11 that I go why did they make these more difficult to access (control panel!!). But overall they're okay. I'm usually one of the last to jump on the new windows for myself. On a few things I revert back to the classic version where applicable. So far the updates for 11 haven't thrown anything out of wack that I can tell.
Closed Thread

Tags
update, settings, computer, change, microsoft

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.