Using our computers & cell phones

Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2023, 09:57 AM
Angry Using our computers & cell phones

My wife and I struggle with using our computers and cell phones. Rather than rely on our kids and grandkids for advice we would like to find a place to get some basic instruction on how to use Microsoft word and Microsoft 360 in addition to tips on using our cell phones. I spent a half hour today trying to get my wife's iPhone 8 to download "The Apps Store" after an Apple upgrade apparently deleted it from her screen. Neither of us is stupid; however, we often feel like an idiot after being defeated by the simple issues that come up every day using our tech. Any groups or advisors that you could recommend?
Many thanks,
Michael
Old 09-30-2023, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Thevillagescomputerclub.com
Old 09-30-2023, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmurrell View Post
My wife and I struggle with using our computers and cell phones. Rather than rely on our kids and grandkids for advice we would like to find a place to get some basic instruction on how to use Microsoft word and Microsoft 360 in addition to tips on using our cell phones. I spent a half hour today trying to get my wife's iPhone 8 to download "The Apps Store" after an Apple upgrade apparently deleted it from her screen. Neither of us is stupid; however, we often feel like an idiot after being defeated by the simple issues that come up every day using our tech. Any groups or advisors that you could recommend?
Many thanks,
Michael
I can help with MS Word but I'd need to know what you're expecting to do with it.

Do you want to make brochures for a club? Are you hoping to use mail merge and graphics options to make and send out Christmas cards? Do you need to understand the tables feature so you can make up columns of categories for things your church food pantry needs? Or are you just wanting to type a letter to a loved one and maybe include a photo of your new golf cart?

I use LibreOffice instead of Microsoft, but I was one test away from a MS Software Professional certification years ago, so I know my way around "office" software.
Old 09-30-2023, 10:22 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Many thanks,
Michael
The Enrichment Academy offers courses on computers & smart phones, among lots of other things. The technology section begins on page 42 of this link. https://www.theenrichmentacademy.org...log_082423.pdf
Old 09-30-2023, 10:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Many thanks,
Michael
There's no way an Apple Upgrade deleted the App Store from your iPhone. That takes an affirmative action on the User's part.

Forget getting "lessons" or hiring an "advisor".

All you need to know, is how to Google.

ANYTHING on earth you want to do with a computer or cell phone, is available to learn from a video.

Type exactly what you want to do, into your Google search window (Safari) on your iPhone. Use simple,, precise english. You'll find a plethora of videos on how to accomplish anything you want to do, From rank beginner information, to expert nuances.
Old 09-30-2023, 06:05 PM
Platinum member

discussions.apple.com

The Apple users group forum - incidentally, upgrades for the iPhone 8 will be ending in a few months.
Old 09-30-2023, 06:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Remember seeing an ad in Daily Sun advertising to do exactly what you are asking about.
Old 10-01-2023, 04:53 AM

I feel your pain. I have limited vision and occasionally swipe the wrong app off the screen and struggle to get it back. It is a learning curve that is quicker with friends and grandkids.

Get the enrichment academy catalog and check for short term classes or search The Villages App for Apple, iPhone, or iPad classes that meet periodically. I keep the phone numbers of the teachers and other helpers. They are generous, dedicated people and good to know.
Old 10-01-2023, 05:15 AM

I would suggest that you choose one ecosystem and stay in that lane. Apple phone lover? Use iPad Pro for your computing technology. Then join all of the Apple groups in The Villages. There are lots. All of your devices will use the same icons. It will be much easier on your brain.
Android lover? Same advice. Equally excellent, and others have suggested Villages groups you can join.
Technology is a budget item in my house. We need to buy new devices on a regular basis to keep up with current technology. They are faster, easier, better.
When I have a specific question I go to YouTube and type it in the search bar. Someone will walk you through your problem. You can pause and rewind as many times as you need to. Be sure and include the device you are asking about. “How do I ………..on my iPhone 8?”
Old 10-01-2023, 05:23 AM
Veteran member

IPhone8?? time for an upgrade
Old 10-01-2023, 06:17 AM
Default Trade Knowledge

Trade knowledge with your grandkids. They're probably happy to teach you the techy stuff. After they're done, you can teach them how to drive a stick shift or how to dry their laundry by hanging it from ropes in the back yard, etc.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:38 AM

You didn’t say which computer you use. You also didn’t say what you wanted to do with word.
If you have Apple equipment, join the Apple user group in the villages, if you have a windows computer join the windows user group.
IMO, you probably got taken on buying Microsoft word/360 unless you need to use the more advanced features of a word processor. Most people need 5-10% of the capabilities of word or any other word processing program, and you don’t need 360, you can use Apple mail/ms mail/Google mail instead of outlook.

My advice, get an iPad Pro 12.9”, use apples free word processing/spreadsheet/presentation software to do your word processing work, and use apples email program which can still point to your ms or google mail account.
Your iPhone is old, but if it works and the battery still keeps a charge, keep it, but IMO, I would get a newer iPhone.

There is no way an apple update deleted the App Store program, it wouldn’t even move it to another location. Try this: on your iPhone main screen, swipe right, then swipe down. You will be presented with an app search bar. Type in “app”. The App Store program icon should appear, which will show you where it’s located and you can just start the App Store from from the screen
Old 10-01-2023, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Many thanks,
Michael
iPhone 8
What Apple upgrade did you download? The current version of iOS, version 17, does not work on iPhone 8.
iPhone models compatible with iOS 17 - Apple Support

Like someone else suggested, you might consider a newer iPhone model as some apps may not work with older phone operating systems. You don’t need to buy the most recent model, iPhone 15, which is costly being the latest. You could buy last year’s model, iPhone 14, for instance. You don’t need to buy an iPhone from the local store of your cellular phone service. You can buy it from Apple either at a physical Apple Store, such as in Orlando, or online. I believe they can help you connect a new iPhone to your present cellular service, I find sales persons at local phone stores biased and not as competent as I want.
iPhone - Apple

If you want one-on-one consulting on Apple products for a reasonable cost, you might look at this person who works remotely. He also has free videos on YouTube.
Tech Talk America - Free Online Mac, iPhone, and iPad Tutorials

Microsoft 365 and Word
You might look at some online videos from Microsoft and on YouTube.

This training is from Microsoft:
Microsoft 365 Training

YouTube has dozens or hundreds of videos and many of them are not very valuable. You might look at this source of YouTube training:
Learnit Training - YouTube

Local sources in The Villages
I’m afraid that I don’t know local sources for what you want.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner1001 View Post
iPhone 8
What Apple upgrade did you download? The current version of iOS, version 17, does not work on iPhone 8.
iPhone models compatible with iOS 17 - Apple Support

Like someone else suggested, you might consider a newer iPhone model as some apps may not work with older phone operating systems. You don’t need to buy the most recent model, iPhone 15, which is costly being the latest. You could buy last year’s model, iPhone 14, for instance. You don’t need to buy an iPhone from the local store of your cellular phone service. You can buy it from Apple either at a physical Apple Store, such as in Orlando, or online. I believe they can help you connect a new iPhone to your present cellular service, I find sales persons at local phone stores biased and not as competent as I want.
iPhone - Apple

If you want one-on-one consulting on Apple products for a reasonable cost, you might look at this person who works remotely. He also has free videos on YouTube.
Tech Talk America - Free Online Mac, iPhone, and iPad Tutorials

Microsoft 365 and Word
You might look at some online videos from Microsoft and on YouTube.

This training is from Microsoft:
Microsoft 365 Training

YouTube has dozens or hundreds of videos and many of them are not very valuable. You might look at this source of YouTube training:
Learnit Training - YouTube

Local sources in The Villages
I’m afraid that I don’t know local sources for what you want.
Here is a short video on how to find a iPhone app, including the App Store app.

https://youtu.be/Qf0ph1tiQN4?si=v0f-h_wOJzZV4j7Z

As others have suggested, your App Store app is likely still on your iPhone but you cannot find it.
Old 10-01-2023, 07:20 AM

I want to thank all of you who have quickly replied. There are many interesting solutions to our current tech chaos. Your time and suggestions will prove most valuable as we research them all. You are much appreciated and it makes me smile, once again, to remember that this is, in fact, "Florida's Friendliest Hometown"!
Closed Thread

Tags
cell, phones, microsoft, computers, groups

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.