Using our computers & cell phones

Closed Thread
Old 10-01-2023, 07:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmurrell View Post
My wife and I struggle with using our computers and cell phones. Rather than rely on our kids and grandkids for advice we would like to find a place to get some basic instruction on how to use Microsoft word and Microsoft 360 in addition to tips on using our cell phones. I spent a half hour today trying to get my wife's iPhone 8 to download "The Apps Store" after an Apple upgrade apparently deleted it from her screen. Neither of us is stupid; however, we often feel like an idiot after being defeated by the simple issues that come up every day using our tech. Any groups or advisors that you could recommend?
Many thanks,
Michael
Ditch Microsoft altogether and install LinuxMint on the computer. Much simpler to use. Email and Office applications are resident on the computer, no cloud issues, no subscription fees.
Old 10-01-2023, 07:45 AM

Quote:
My wife and I struggle with using our computers and cell phones. Rather than rely on our kids and grandkids for advice we would like to find a place to get some basic instruction on how to use Microsoft word and Microsoft 360 in addition to tips on using our cell phones. I spent a half hour today trying to get my wife's iPhone 8 to download "The Apps Store" after an Apple upgrade apparently deleted it from her screen. Neither of us is stupid; however, we often feel like an idiot after being defeated by the simple issues that come up every day using our tech. Any groups or advisors that you could recommend?
Many thanks,
Michael
Michael, I’m happy to help you if you like. I know iPhones very well and also know Microsoft 365.

Let me know if you still need help and I’ll stop by.

Jim
Old 10-01-2023, 10:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Many thanks,
Michael
you can reach out on PM here. I'm a MCT (Microsoft Certified Trainer) I've been in IT for over 45 years. all this is easily teachable.
Old 10-01-2023, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Many thanks,
Michael
Barnes & Noble. They have books for precisely these problems. "____ For Seniors For Dummies". I have three: one for my iPad, one for iPhone, and one for Apple Watch. Cost $82 but are very much worth the price.
Old 10-01-2023, 11:08 AM
Veteran member
Default computer info

Village computer club doesn't meet any longer.
Old 10-01-2023, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Many thanks,
Michael
You didn't delete the app. It's impossible to do so...

You just can't find it, but it's there.

This link should help you find it again...

How to Get the App Store Back on iPhone - The Mac Observer.

-Tom Petty
Old 10-01-2023, 11:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,045 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn0wheremann View Post
Ditch Microsoft altogether and install LinuxMint on the computer. Much simpler to use. Email and Office applications are resident on the computer, no cloud issues, no subscription fees.

Oh sure. Moving to an Operating System that less than 3% of computer users find practical and acceptable, makes plenty of sense for a novice.

Last edited by BrianL99; 10-01-2023 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-01-2023, 12:19 PM

I was in TV to check on the house (we retire in 76 days) when the university that told me I could use my email address for life changed my email address and denied me access to the old one. This was a nightmare, as it affected my calendar, drive, etc. The Univ tech office finally gave me access to the old email for a few days. My husband, who is much tech savvier than I, was not with me.

I called Best Buy Geek Squad and made four consecutive appointments, which was 80 minutes. The young man who helped me was great.

I upgraded from my iPhone 7 last Christmas. It was needed, and I would recommend that you check into that.

Lots of good answers for you here. Good luck. Technology is great when it works, and miserable when you’re fighting it. Good luck!
Old 10-01-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianne237 View Post
Village computer club doesn't meet any longer.
True that the Villages Computer Club no longer meets in person but we are alive and well and continue to meet via Zoom. Our next meeting is this Friday 10/6. Check out our website at The VILLAGES COMPUTER CLUB Inc. - Home for our meeting schedule and our library of past presentations. There are a number of resources there for self help and a link to ask technical questions. On our website is a link to get on our mailing list and receive the meeting announcements.

Stephen Murphy,
President, Villages Computer Club
Old 10-01-2023, 06:06 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to joansullivan

Quote:
Many thanks,
Michael
The Villages has computer clubs which could be quite helpful. Check the Thursday insert for the Rec news and find out when/where they meet.
Closed Thread

Tags
cell, phones, microsoft, computers, groups

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.