Where's my Xfinity modem connection?

Closed Thread
Old 12-24-2023, 11:55 AM
Default Where's my Xfinity modem connection?

Just moving into a two-year-old house in Citrus Grove (yeah!). I am planning to bring my xfinity-approved modem and router from my previous house.

Comcast says my home previously had xfinity service.

Where is the cable connection for the modem? I've looked everywhere and can't find it.

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2023, 11:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Just moving into a two-year-old house in Citrus Grove (yeah!). I am planning to bring my xfinity-approved modem and router from my previous house.

Comcast says my home previously had xfinity service.

Where is the cable connection for the modem? I've looked everywhere and can't find it.

Thanks!
It has to be one of the coax connections in one of the rooms. I'll bet it's the one in the living room.
Old 12-24-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball wizard View Post
It has to be one of the coax connections in one of the rooms. I'll bet it's the one in the living room.
So just keep trying until one of them works? ;-)
Old 12-24-2023, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
In my home only one of the many coax connections is actually connected to the outside, the others just end in the low-power box in the garage.

You could ask the previous homeowner, look at pre-sale pictures to try to spot a modem, just keep trying until one of them works, or buy a coax tester to see which one(s) are live. I would either go with the pictures or just keep trying.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 12-24-2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
In my home only one of the many coax connections is actually connected to the outside, the others just end in the low-power box in the garage.

You could ask the previous homeowner, look at pre-sale pictures to try to spot a modem, just keep trying until one of them works, or buy a coax tester to see which one(s) are live. I would either go with the pictures or just keep trying.
You might want to ring the doorbell of one of your neighbors. They probably have a similar setup plus you might make a new friend.
Old 12-24-2023, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

If the above does not work, try this.

If you have a digital voltmeter you could look around the garage, or attic to see if you find the outside cable feed and the connection to a splitter or coupler. Take this apart and place a jumper from the center lead to the outside metal coupler, then you can go room to room with the DVM and check for a short circuit. Remove the jumper, reconnect the cable and install your modem.
Old 12-24-2023, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Maybe I am missing something, but I thought you could connect your modem to any of the COAX outlets in the house as long as it has been activated by Xfinity. But, first you need to sign up for the Xfinity internet service, plug in the modem, and activate it. If you haven't paid Xfinity for internet service, the modem will not work.
Old 12-24-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:
It won't work until xfinity turns on the service.
Old 12-24-2023, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Maybe I am missing something, but I thought you could connect your modem to any of the COAX outlets in the house as long as it has been activated by Xfinity. But, first you need to sign up for the Xfinity internet service, plug in the modem, and activate it. If you haven't paid Xfinity for internet service, the modem will not work.
The coax outlets must be connected to the block in the low voltage box. We only have three of 7 connected in our home, as the other ones aren’t needed in our case.
Old 12-24-2023, 01:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
When I moved into my pre-owned home, NONE of the coax cables were terminated in the garage. The Xfinity tech needed to find the right cable to terminate and connect. Now I have exactly one live coax in my home.

Any of the coax CAN be used but only if they are terminated - mine were/are not.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 12-24-2023, 01:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphy View Post
You might want to ring the doorbell of one of your neighbors. They probably have a similar setup plus you might make a new friend.
See above - nothing the neighbors could have done to help.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 12-24-2023, 01:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
The coax outlets must be connected to the block in the low voltage box. We only have three of 7 connected in our home, as the other ones aren’t needed in our case.
I agree, but can't you use any of the 3 active outlets to connect the modem? It sounds like the OP may not have anything activated by Xfinity yet.
Old 12-24-2023, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
I agree, but can't you use any of the 3 active outlets to connect the modem? It sounds like the OP may not have anything activated by Xfinity yet.
Sorry, I misunderstood your post. Absolutely right.
Old 12-25-2023, 06:20 AM

Quote:
That’s how I had to do it! There were three spots to try. The living room was the incoming.
Old 12-25-2023, 07:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hguertin View Post
That’s how I had to do it! There were three spots to try. The living room was the incoming.
As I understand it, the Xfinity "incoming" COAX cable is connected from the street to the white panel box in the garage. If you sign up for any Xfinity services, the Xfinity technician will activate any of the COAX outlets that you need in the house from the garage panel box. There will be about 7 or 8 outlets in the house that were installed by the builder, not by Xfinity. You can tell how many outlets are activated by looking in the panel box, but they may not be labelled by room location. You should be able to connect the modem to any of the active outlets in the house. Xfinity does not connect their incoming cable directly to the living room or any other room in the house, only to the garage panel box.
Closed Thread

Tags
modem, xfinity, connection, house, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.