Where's my Xfinity modem connection?

Closed Thread
Old 12-25-2023, 07:18 AM

Look above/in your kitchen cabinets.
Old 12-25-2023, 08:14 AM

Sometimes located in the garage
Old 12-25-2023, 08:42 AM
Veteran member

Every house is different, no need to ask a neighbor. The source rg6 cable comes from the outside box into your garage network/irrigation box. You are going to see a dozen black cables and hopefully some of them are connected to a splitter or maybe just 1 is connected together. Have xfinity turn on your service. If some/all cables are connected, then you have a good chance of being able to put the xfinity modem/router in any of the rooms that are hooked up to this splitter. If there is only 1 black cable connected with a union adopter, then you will have to go from room to room to see if the xfinity box powers up correctly.

Never think that these black rg6 cables are only used for internet or cable. They aren’t, you can use them for other things. For example, I use some of my rg6 cables for a moca network so somebody moving in after us is going to see a lot more THINGS in the network/irrigation box and I’d advise nobody disconnect a black cable if they don’t know what it does, there could be a small voltage on the line.

Also, don’t assume the network box is best placed in your living room. For me (a network guy) it would be the worst location. I needed access to a network cable (I rewired all of my 2-pair phone jacks in every room and in the network/irrigation panel for Ethernet and put a network switch in the garage box), and there is only a couple places in the house that had this, so I used a bedroom to house my xfinity box. I then go out of the xfinity box using Ethernet to the Ethernet port in the wall. I then setup a mesh wired network for the best coverage throughout the home. I saved over $800 rewiring the phone jacks compared to having galaxy do it. It cost me $100 for the tools and fluke tester.
Old 12-25-2023, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball wizard View Post
It has to be one of the coax connections in one of the rooms. I'll bet it's the one in the living room.
This is where ours is, but Xfinity has to find you too. Need to get them on the line
Old 12-25-2023, 11:12 AM

I had a room that wasn’t connected so I purchased a larger heavy duty splitter and connected the remaining unconnected cables in the cable box on the house. Of course, I no longer need it since going wireless. I would agree it’s most likely in the living room.
Old 12-25-2023, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.R.I.T.S. View Post
I had a room that wasn’t connected so I purchased a larger heavy duty splitter and connected the remaining unconnected cables in the cable box on the house. Of course, I no longer need it since going wireless. I would agree it’s most likely in the living room.
Note that, if you increase the number of connected outlets in the house, you may need Xfinity to increase your signal strength.
Old 12-25-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball wizard View Post
It has to be one of the coax connections in one of the rooms. I'll bet it's the one in the living room.
Mine was in the living room but now my modem is in the front room. Do you have at least a 5G
Old 12-25-2023, 01:52 PM

Look above the refrigerator in the storage cabinet.
Old 12-26-2023, 10:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Just moving into a two-year-old house in Citrus Grove (yeah!). I am planning to bring my xfinity-approved modem and router from my previous house.

Comcast says my home previously had xfinity service.

Where is the cable connection for the modem? I've looked everywhere and can't find it.

Thanks!
Any of the cable tv connectors should work but only if Xfinity is connected to the house from the box in the back yard.
Old 12-27-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Maybe I am missing something, but I thought you could connect your modem to any of the COAX outlets in the house as long as it has been activated by Xfinity. But, first you need to sign up for the Xfinity internet service, plug in the modem, and activate it. If you haven't paid Xfinity for internet service, the modem will not work.
To activate the modem, you have to pick up the phone and call Comcast. They still need all the info on the modem. It is not a plug-and-go. If you call for a tech. to your home, you will be billed $100 for that service. Comcast does not make your life easy.
Old 12-27-2023, 01:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston1945 View Post
To activate the modem, you have to pick up the phone and call Comcast. They still need all the info on the modem. It is not a plug-and-go. If you call for a tech. to your home, you will be billed $100 for that service. Comcast does not make your life easy.
Tell them you want them to provision your modem.
Closed Thread

Tags
modem, xfinity, connection, house, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.