Windows 10 Problem

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
Thanks for the info Loudell
Old 08-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Sage

I have pointed people to chromebooks because they are simple and inexpensive. I have run into people that are afraid its another learning curve or they just need windows. But look what just happened:
"Acer just announced two Windows 10 notebooks that could help make sure that Chromebooks never make serious headway in the non-education market. The Acer Aspire One Cloudbook 11 and 14 are serious machines that both come not just with Windows 10, but with one-year subscriptions to Office 365 Personal and 1 terabyte of free OneDrive online storage. The 11-inch Cloudbook 11 will sell for $169 starting in August, and the 14-inch Cloudbook 14 will sell for $199 starting in September. Given that Office 365 Personal with 1 terabyte of storage sells for $70, the effective price of Cloudbook 11 is $99, and the Cloudbook 14 is $129."
Good-bye Chromebooks -- Acer's new Windows 10 notebooks just killed you | ITworld

I would like to play with one of these.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:03 PM
Platinum member

Today (8/11) is MS Patch Tuesday. There were at least a dozen patches for Windows 10, which took awhile to download and install. So far no problems with Win 10, other than it's new and finding stuff takes time and effort. MS office 10, as you might expect, performs normally. That's about all I use that PC for.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:23 PM
Veteran member
Default Read-Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
I put a new folder in my Library and on my desktop and named it Docs... I copied all my "document files" to the Docs folder on my desktop and copied that Docs folder files into the Docs folder in my Library. None of the files showed as read only and they all work as they should.

Hope that helps you.
Same problem here. Tell me, after taking these steps, what happens when you open and edit a doc? Can you then save it without getting the "read-only" message?
Old 08-12-2015, 06:36 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Same problem here. Tell me, after taking these steps, what happens when you open and edit a doc? Can you then save it without getting the "read-only" message?
Yes as long as you are working out of the "DOCS" fold and not the "document" fold in the library.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:35 AM
Sage

Can your old PC run Windows 10?
Can your old PC run Windows 10? The answer will surprise you | PCWorld

The results surprised or better yet amazed me. It's worth trying if you are computer savvy to begin with and have a beater.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:49 PM
Sage

I am slowly getting use to Windows 10 with one exception. The other night around 3am I heard voices downstairs that led me to believe the TV had turned itself on. When I got up to investigate my computer was running to different videos/infomercials that I had watched quite a while back. I have found if I don't completely shut down every night I wake up to multiple open windows in the morning. Not sure what is going on at night, but it's very peculiar. I also have an issue when typing something I will hear a ding sound and the old blue circle shows up. Have to bring my cursor back to position and start typing again.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
I am slowly getting use to Windows 10 with one exception. The other night around 3am I heard voices downstairs that led me to believe the TV had turned itself on. When I got up to investigate my computer was running to different videos/infomercials that I had watched quite a while back. I have found if I don't completely shut down every night I wake up to multiple open windows in the morning. Not sure what is going on at night, but it's very peculiar. I also have an issue when typing something I will hear a ding sound and the old blue circle shows up. Have to bring my cursor back to position and start typing again.
I had (and still have) a similar problem with Windows 7 PC. This drove me nuts (I really do not have far to go) until I realized that the TOUCH PAD tapping function had been turned back on. I am an Eagle typist ( I see a key and I land on it), because of this my thumps occasionally hit the touch pad, causing the next keystrokes to act as commands occasionally. The solution was to turn OFF the tapping capability. Unfortunately, even though I have selected OFF as the default, the tapping is turned on every time I reboot the computer.
This might be what is happening on your Windows 10 PC.
My wife just purchased a Windows 10 PC, so I will be very interested if this solves your problem, or if you come up with a better solution.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:37 AM
Sage

Warning Sidetrack Alert:
I taught computers to high school students in the 90's and I didn't realize but one of the funnier students was using the mouse connected to the computer to his right and vice versa. He called me over and said there is something wrong with his computer. He said he could get close to the icon but just as he was about to click on it, it would move away.

I said let me try. He was controlling the cursor on the screen that I was looking at and I was moving his mouse around but only looking at my screen. I thought I was getting close to the icon, it would move away.

I took the mouse apart, cleaned the rollers, and the little mouse ball, rebooted, I tried everything before he showed me.

I couldn't stop laughing and then pulled it on a half dozen other teachers and students.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:53 PM

Can anyone tell me anything about Windows 10? I, too, have Windows 8.1 and am thinking of moving on to Windows 10. I'm nervous though. It took me quite awhile to figure out 8.1--and even now I don't know that I've got it all down pat--so I"m wondering how difficult the new version is. What specifically have any of you noticed that was different or easier on Windows 10? Thank you for any help!
Old 08-23-2015, 01:19 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I'm a scared of free stuff
Old 08-23-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj6426 View Post
Can anyone tell me anything about Windows 10? I, too, have Windows 8.1 and am thinking of moving on to Windows 10. I'm nervous though. It took me quite awhile to figure out 8.1--and even now I don't know that I've got it all down pat--so I"m wondering how difficult the new version is. What specifically have any of you noticed that was different or easier on Windows 10? Thank you for any help!
If you try Windows 10 you have thirty days to return to your former operating system with all your programs intact. You will have to reinstall your printer however.
I downloaded 10 to my 7 and to my husband's 8.1 and we both gave it a fair trial and both decided we preferred our old so I took them back and it went fine. No problems at all and it returns to the old faster. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj6426 View Post
I'm waiting for now before I upgrade to 10.

I don't think windows is the best operating system for anyone that is not at least somewhat computer savvy. Apple is a little better but Chrome is the best because you can't break it and no one can take over your machine.

Take a look at this. https://twit.tv/posts/reviews/acer-c...e-touch-review

What programs are you now running on Windows 8.1? The programs that require the best computers and best software are games.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:27 AM
Eternal Member
Default Problems with Outlook and IE11 as the default browser

I upgraded my test win 8.1 laptop to W10. I did not like EDGE so I made IE11 my default browser. For some reason, the system could not find Iexplore.exe. I pointed the system to it with the dialogue box provided. IE11 became the default. My problem now is that when I click on a hyperlink in MS Outlook, it will not open the link in IE11. If I make Firefox the default it works. I reported this to Microsoft in their forum and got several workarounds that did not work. I joined a non-Microsoft windows 10 forum - Windows 10 Forums - where I find out that this is a common problem with all levels of Outlook except Outlook16.

I have reported it several times via the Feedback app in Windows 10. The problem with the Feedback app is that you do not get feedback that says they are working on it.

So far that is my only real stopper to putting Windows 10 on my desktop and my other PC.

Out of curiosity, does anyone else that converted to Windows 10 have a problem opening a hyperlink in Outlook in IE11 if it is the default browser?

BTW: I know it is an Outlook problem because all hyperlinks in any other app will open correctly in the IE11 default browser.

Z
Closed Thread

Tags
windows, password, turn, screen, downloaded, safe, pword, past, dilemma, downloading, recollection, friend, mode, created, boot, talk, experts, frustrating, advance, exercise, thoughts, expertise, suggestions, resolve, problem

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.