Windows 10 Upgrade - be aware

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2015, 12:32 PM
Default Windows 10 Upgrade - be aware

This happened to me - after many wasted hours on tech support, I was finally able to go back to Windows 7. Be aware and back up all your files before upgrading.

Windows 10 Upgrade Problems: Black Screen After Updating (New)

Some users taking advantage of the Windows 10 Upgrade are finding that after the upgrade has finished their device just gives them a black screen and won’t start.

Microsoft is still working on a fix for this, but there isn’t a way to avoid it right now. Worse, it seems that the issue is happening on multiple PC configurations. For now, we can only suggest using the back up utilities that came with your device and creating some external media back up before you start the upgrade in case this happens. If this happens and you live near a Microsoft Store, make an appointment with them to have your device looked at if you run into the issue. Some, reports, (like those from our comments) indicate that deactivating virus programs before performing the upgrade prevents this issue.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I have been using Carbonite for back up for a couple years. What a great service. Upgraded to 10 and (knock on wood) no issues except for some driver updates that needed to be installed.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-20-2015, 08:15 PM

I had a black-screen issue upgrading a laptop to Windows 10. This particular laptop had a discrete NVIDIA graphics chipset built in. I finally discovered that uninstalling the display adapter from the Windows device manager prior to initiating the upgrade (and checking the "delete the drivers for this device" checkbox that popped up during the uninstall) solved the problem. This causes Windows to use a generic set of video drivers for your screen that behave better during the upgrade process. Once Windows 10 is safely installed you can re-install the drivers for your specific chipset (although i n my case I did not have to do that as Windows 10 figured it out on its own and did the right thing).
--
bc
Old 09-21-2015, 04:43 PM
Veteran member

My update to W10 from W7 on my laptop went smooth so not all will go bad. I do like w10. Sorry for your issues.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
My update to W10 from W7 on my laptop went smooth so not all will go bad. I do like w10. Sorry for your issues.
Ditto
Old 09-21-2015, 06:31 PM

Our laptop became very slow following the installation of Windows 10 vs the Windows 8 that was originally installed. Have not figured out why or what to do as yet.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRVKR View Post
Our laptop became very slow following the installation of Windows 10 vs the Windows 8 that was originally installed. Have not figured out why or what to do as yet.
Change your power settings so that your computer is running all night. Maybe Microsoft is downloading software or fixes. Wait it out for now and see if it fixes itself.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:11 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Change your power settings so that your computer is running all night. Maybe Microsoft is downloading software or fixes. Wait it out for now and see if it fixes itself.
Under W10, Microsoft installs fixes whenever they want. It would be nice if they gave you warning that they were doing them. They do have that nifty Action Center to tell you to reboot if you pick that option.

BTW: My last update was installed a 8:29 PM last night. If I had not told W10 to let me do the reboot, my understanding is that the PC would have rebooted on it own when the PC was idle (whatever that means).

What You Need to Know About Windows Update on Windows 10

Z

Last edited by zcaveman; 09-22-2015 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Add link
Old 09-22-2015, 07:03 AM

We went back to 7, didn't like win 10 at all.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
Under W10, Microsoft installs fixes whenever they want. It would be nice if they gave you warning that they were doing them. They do have that nifty Action Center to tell you to reboot if you pick that option.

BTW: My last update was installed a 8:29 PM last night. If I had not told W10 to let me do the reboot, my understanding is that the PC would have rebooted on it own when the PC was idle (whatever that means).

What You Need to Know About Windows Update on Windows 10

Z
I set my laptop up so that if it's plugged in, it is always on. If it is on battery power it goes to sleep if it goes idle, not being used.

If your computer slows down you could look at task manager and see what's running and I think downloading. Running windows can be a part time job. That's why I push chromebooks on people that just want the damn thing to work.
How to Use the New Task Manager in Windows 8 or 10
Old 09-22-2015, 07:27 AM
Platinum member

I really liked Windows 10 on my laptop but it slowed me down noticeably. I kept trying other things to speed it up and nothing worked. I finally gave up and went back to Windows 7 and the speed returned. I may try it again some time in the future, but for now 7 will be just fine.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:55 AM

I continue to get a p/u for "Microsoft 11" Is it safe to install?
Old 09-22-2015, 07:55 AM
Platinum member

My laptop is ancient dell with max of 4 megs ram. Runs slow even before 10 was installed. Used very little and just may go to a chromebook. I like the 17 inch screen I have and that is what is holding me back at the moment.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
I continue to get a p/u for "Microsoft 11" Is it safe to install?
Do you mean Windows 10? If so, I would wait for a bit before upgrading. I installed Windows 10 without apparent difficulty, but my touchpad won't save settings and won't allow me to scroll with one finger as I am used to doing. No upgraded drivers yet, so I reverted to windows 7 within the 30 days and will upgrade to Windows 10 probably after the first of the year.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:25 AM

> That's why I push chromebooks on people that just want the damn thing to work.
Seconded. If everything you do with a computer can be done in a web browser, then a ChromeBook is a great choice.
--
bc
Closed Thread

Tags
upgrade, windows, back, issue, device, start, black, screen, microsoft, aware, utilities, suggest, media, configurations, creating, external, comments, deactivating, prevents, performing, programs, virus, reports, store, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.