Windows 10 Upgrade - be aware

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2015, 10:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default OhioBuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjbud View Post
This happened to me - after many wasted hours on tech support, I was finally able to go back to Windows 7. Be aware and back up all your files before upgrading.

Windows 10 Upgrade Problems: Black Screen After Updating (New)

Some users taking advantage of the Windows 10 Upgrade are finding that after the upgrade has finished their device just gives them a black screen and won’t start.

Microsoft is still working on a fix for this, but there isn’t a way to avoid it right now. Worse, it seems that the issue is happening on multiple PC configurations. For now, we can only suggest using the back up utilities that came with your device and creating some external media back up before you start the upgrade in case this happens. If this happens and you live near a Microsoft Store, make an appointment with them to have your device looked at if you run into the issue. Some, reports, (like those from our comments) indicate that deactivating virus programs before performing the upgrade prevents this issue.
I put off putting in Windows 10 for 3 months but last night (11-22-2015) I decided to do it & I hope I don't regret it. My worst fear was having to re-enter all of my passwords, losing my FAVORITES, seeing a different looking screen & most of all my security online banking. So far all of the above came true. I'm going to give it a week & if it doesn't get easier, I'm going to delete Windows 10 & get my old Windows 7 loaded back in!
Old 11-23-2015, 05:00 PM

I installed Windows 10 from Windows 7 with no problem. It ran great for a couple of weeks than started to be very slow. I tried peaking it up with a program. Now it is stuck in "airplane mode" so there is no internet connection. Nobody seems to know how to fix it. Any ides?
Old 11-23-2015, 05:33 PM
Eternal Member

For anyone with questions or problems with Windows 10, go to the Windows 10 forum. It is a non-Microsoft forum with lots of good information. As a guest you can view anything but if you want to ask a question or need help with a problem, you have to register. It is free. It has helped me quite a bit.

Windows 10 Forums

Z

Last edited by zcaveman; 11-23-2015 at 05:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-23-2015, 05:42 PM
Sage

I thought I read an article lately that we don't have a choice and they will be switching us whether we want it or not in the near future.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:08 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I thought I read an article lately that we don't have a choice and they will be switching us whether we want it or not in the near future.
I also read that article and was not very happy about having Windows 10 being forced on people that don't want it. I have 7 and want to keep it. PC World put out this article on how to block it with a different program(GWX), but I'm a bit leery about downloading it. Here is the link to the PC World article.
How to block the Windows 10 upgrade | PCWorld
Old 11-24-2015, 05:55 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

[QUOTE=Howard Marsh;1149753]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjbud View Post
This happened to me - after many wasted hours on tech support, I was finally able to go back to Windows 7. Be aware and back up all your files before upgrading.

Microsoft and other companies are always trying to sell new products and improve on things that don't need improving. They offer free upgrades that are really beta tests of the new things that still haven't been fully shaken out. Windows 10 is one of them. If you use the computer for office types of things, Windows 7 is great, and you don't need (or want) more complexity and more problems. I just hope that I can keep Windows 7 and still use Microsoft Office programs for a long time.

You also should be careful about storing things in the cloud. You would then be at the mercy of someone else's server, and you would lose control of security. My suggestion is to store your personal information on your own computer, using something like Folder Lock to keep it secure. You can easily back everything up on an external drive, either something like a Maxtor hard drive or a flash drive (thumb drive.) Don't take the easy way out and remember that if it sounds too good to be true it is too good to be true.
Win10 made all my MS Office files read only and when I reverted back to Win7 they were still read only. Have not found a fix yet, so I set up run around until I find the fix.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:18 PM

[QUOTE=Biker Dog;1150223]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Marsh View Post

Win10 made all my MS Office files read only and when I reverted back to Win7 they were still read only. Have not found a fix yet, so I set up run around until I find the fix.
If you're comfortable with old-school command prompt windows, you can open one and navigate to the subdirectory where your documents are and use the attrib command to remove the Real-Only property from them all, for instance using

attrib -R *.*

--
bc
Old 11-25-2015, 07:06 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

[QUOTE=rexxfan;1150447]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post

If you're comfortable with old-school command prompt windows, you can open one and navigate to the subdirectory where your documents are and use the attrib command to remove the Real-Only property from them all, for instance using

attrib -R *.*

--
bc
TY But I am Not that computer savy.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:07 AM

I was afraid to upgrade to w10. That's why I turned to TOV to get the benefit of others experience. Unfortunately the comments I see leave me uncomfortable with upgrading. I use the computer everyday for various things, but I'm no computer guru. If I had a problem, I'm not confident I could fix it. Some of you imply, Microsoft will fix itself if given time. Has that been the experience of most of you?
Old 12-08-2015, 12:27 PM
Sage

You're wise to not take an upgrade lightly...always the potential for some issues. That being said, I've had no problems since I upgraded to Windows 10 and am very please. It's very fast and very "customizable".
Old 12-08-2015, 02:04 PM
Sage

I back up with crashplan it's automatic, about $5

I upgrade 1 win 8 and 2 XP's last week it was great, I did need to change a mouse setting one one of them and reselt the printers.

I love it..
Old 12-09-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdp101 View Post
I was afraid to upgrade to w10. That's why I turned to TOV to get the benefit of others experience. Unfortunately the comments I see leave me uncomfortable with upgrading. I use the computer everyday for various things, but I'm no computer guru. If I had a problem, I'm not confident I could fix it. Some of you imply, Microsoft will fix itself if given time. Has that been the experience of most of you?
I agree upgrades are always a bit risky. There's always a chance that something will go wrong with the process and leave you with a non-functional machine. Or, you may have some old hardware or software that is incompatible with the new release. So, in general, its probably best for most to avoid upgrading a machine thats working fine. If you need to get a new machine, get the new operating system with it. Otherwise, leave well enough alone.
--
Bob C
Closed Thread

Tags
upgrade, windows, back, issue, device, start, black, screen, microsoft, aware, utilities, suggest, media, configurations, creating, external, comments, deactivating, prevents, performing, programs, virus, reports, store, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.