Windows 7 & 8 Tip

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Eternal Member
Default Windows 7 & 8 Tip

Here is something I have been using for over a year under Windows 7 and it also can be set up and works in Windows 8. I did not name this but once you try it you will see the name is fitting. This will allow you to make any changes to the operating system all from one folder and not have to spend time searching through the control panel.

Saves you a lot of time when trying to set up one system the same as another and you forgot how the first setting was set because it was done a year ago.

The Windows 8 link even shows you how to make it a tile.

For Windows 7
Understanding Windows 7's 'GodMode' | How To - CNET

For Windows 8
Quick Tip: Invoke god mode to take control of settings in Windows 8 | TechRepublic

VG
Old 03-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Sage

WOW! Thanks.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:07 PM

And speaking of Windows 8, check out Classic Shell. You can make the UI on Windows 8 look like any previous Windows OS. (In my case, I picked XP as that was the OS of the machine that the new one replaced.)

Classic Shell is free, google some youtube videos for demos on how to set it up and how it works.

If one has a Windows-based smartphone and tablet, Windows 8 is great. If not, not.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Eternal Member

Classic Shell is available from Ninite.com. A great site to download and install free programs without all the blotware such as different toolbars and the like.

One thing about CS is that as time passes and one becomes more comfortable with W8 you can turn it off without uninstalling it.

A great program to aid in reducing the learning curve of W8.

VG
Old 04-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by entemedor View Post
...If one has a Windows-based smartphone and tablet, Windows 8 is great. If not, not.
No disrespect intended,but if anybody is buying a new PC or considering an upgrade to Windows 8, I just wanted to chime in that not everybody dislikes it.

I've been using it for a month or so now on a new laptop and have grown to like it a lot. If you just consider the Start screen as an oversized Start menu and learn a few mouse actions and useful hot keys, it really gets pretty good. And it's been very stable and fast, with some features not found in other versions of Windows. The key is some patience and a determination to learn and give it a fair chance. :^)
Old 04-06-2013, 06:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
No disrespect intended,but if anybody is buying a new PC or considering an upgrade to Windows 8, I just wanted to chime in that not everybody dislikes it.

I've been using it for a month or so now on a new laptop and have grown to like it a lot. If you just consider the Start screen as an oversized Start menu and learn a few mouse actions and useful hot keys, it really gets pretty good. And it's been very stable and fast, with some features not found in other versions of Windows. The key is some patience and a determination to learn and give it a fair chance. :^)
I agree with you about Windows 8. I bought a new laptop about 1 month ago, and once I played around with Windows 8 a little bit, I am starting to like it more and more. I did purchase the Windows 8 for Dummies book, but have only needed it a couple of times so far. I made the jump from Windows Vista to Windows 8. If you wait too many years to upgrade your computer's operating system, you can get far behind in technology. I will hold on to my 5 year old laptop for a few more months, but then will have to find it a new home.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.