Windows Live OneCare

Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2008, 09:22 AM
Platinum member
Default Windows Live OneCare

My Norton Internet Security subscription ran out this week, and my sons convinced me to try Microsoft's Windows Live OneCare. I found it on Amazon.com for $19.95 plus shipping. Each year as Norton added new functions, it seemed to slow everything down. Part of the problem is that Norton evolved over time and the pieces were not designed from the bottom up to work together. Leave it to Microsoft to see a market and deliver. Only time will tell of course, but so far Windows Live OneCare seems to have given my PC a new life.

Windows Live OneCare is all-in-one security for Windows XP or Windows Vista-based PCs and includes Antivirus, Antispyware, Anti-Phishing, Managed Firewall, Performance Tune-Ups, Data Backup, and Support; and one subscription allows you to install it on up to 3 PCs.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:56 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Windows Live OneCare

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryoung
My Norton Internet Security subscription ran out this week, and my sons convinced me to try Microsoft's Windows Live OneCare. I found it on Amazon.com for $19.95 plus shipping. Each year as Norton added new functions, it seemed to slow everything down. Part of the problem is that Norton evolved over time and the pieces were not designed from the bottom up to work together. Leave it to Microsoft to see a market and deliver. Only time will tell of course, but so far Windows Live OneCare seems to have given my PC a new life.

Windows Live OneCare is all-in-one security for Windows XP or Windows Vista-based PCs and includes Antivirus, Antispyware, Anti-Phishing, Managed Firewall, Performance Tune-Ups, Data Backup, and Support; and one subscription allows you to install it on up to 3 PCs.

I have been using "windows live care" for 9 months now and find it excellent. You might consider buying an external hard drive to auto do your backups and store photos that take up much space on your internal hard drive
Handie :joke:
Old 07-31-2008, 02:36 AM
Platinum member
Default Re: Windows Live OneCare

Handie, Thanks for the suggestion. When I bought the Windows OneCare from Amazon.com, I also bought a Seagate FreeAgent Pro 500GB ext drive ($129). My plan was to back everything up, F-Disk, and reinstall XP. My concern was that Norton Internet Security would not uninstall itself completely. But as it turned out, NIS uninstalled just fine. Flying without a backup was an accident waiting to happen and I'm just very lucky that I didn't lose everything. Hard drives will fail; in spite of anti-virus software you'll still pick up malware somewhere along the way. I'm still happy with OneCare.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.