Windows put a loud message on computer that I had been hacked.

Old 01-28-2024, 07:29 AM
Veteran member

Who did you call, the number on the screen? If you did, you never ever do that. Did the guy on the call tell you to run a scan? If so, you just ran a program that went out and scanned your computer for info that they can use for future transactions. Windows is the worst computer to use to get hacked, 99% of every computer hack is done on windows.
You need to get a total security package for your computer to help protect you from future hacks.
The most important thing to do now, using a different computer or iPhone (because you could be running a Pam that captures all keystrokes) is to change every password to every bank account, brokerage, financial institution, then to every company you have an account for.

My buddy just had this happen to him but luckily he called me before he called the number on the screen. He didn’t have any security program on his computer, but he does now. Since I’m not a windows guy (never was, never will be), I told him to call Microsoft support to get help and use the support number you find on Microsoft.com.

In the future, if you get any screen that tells you ‘you’ve been compromised’, never call the number on the screen. If the screen shows it came from Microsoft, on another computer or phone, go to Microsoft.com and use the number you find there. I get some phishing emails sometimes from PayPal, Best Buy, whoever, indicating thanks for this large purchase. I just go out to PayPal to look at my activity. I also subscribe to lifelock which alerts me on every transaction in my name or my wife’s.
Old 01-28-2024, 07:36 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

Another thing you can do is to use the Webroot virus scanner. It has an add-in for your browser that scans every page before it opens for known hacks. It probably would have detected that page the moment you attempted to open it and prevented it from opening.

NoScript is not going to help if you click a link to an unknown site and wind up on a page built by a hacker, unless you use it to turn Javascript completely off.

If you insist on clicking every interesting link you see on the internet, at least turn off Javascript first, and run a page scanner like Webroot.
Old 01-28-2024, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I am back up but have no idea what actually happened with that. I was looking at a quote by a writer and then my computer starts blaring that I should not shut it down as it noted suspicious activity.

The guy I called said I had been hacked by someone in Beijing. To my knowledge I know no one there.

It happened while I could not get on Talk of the Villages today.

Wanted to make a note of it. I have no knowledge about what they were doing other than what the guy on the phone said they had been doing. Which I will keep to myself.
Same thing happens to me occasionally. I immediately shut everything down and don't turn it back on for several hours. Yes, it is an attempt to get information from you, for their nefarious purposes.
Old 01-28-2024, 07:42 AM
Veteran member

I stopped using Windows with Version 7. I had used a Chromebook for many years, but when I saw Linux Mint I converted my laptop to Linux Mint and never looked back. I still use the Chromebook 99% of the time, but every now and then I find something the Chromebook can't do (like reading strange extensions). I will NEVER use Windows again.
Old 01-28-2024, 07:45 AM

It’s a scam. I got caught up in that one. Close down.
Old 01-28-2024, 07:45 AM
Gold member

[QUOTE=Taltarzac725;2295483]I am back up but have no idea what actually happened with that. I was looking at a quote by a writer and then my computer starts blaring that I should not shut it down as it noted suspicious activity.

The guy I called said I had been hacked by someone in Beijing. To my knowledge I know no one there.
/QUOTE]

The very first thing you should do, if it ever happens again, is to disbelieve what the hackers are telling you. Meaning: SHUT IT DOWN immediately. Do not make note of the number they want you to call, do not call the number. Do not do anything they want you to do. Since you said it continued to blare after you shut it down, then power all of your computer equipment down. Some of the hackers are getting sophisticated, they are con men. If you feel guilty doing the exact opposite of what they instruct, then feel free to blame me.
Good luck battling them.
Old 01-28-2024, 07:56 AM
Sage

I didn't scroll through all the responses so this might be a repeat of someone else. I've had that happen too. What we do is close the computer, unplug it then take the battery out briefly and put it back in. There might be a screen that will say "computer shut down improperly" but that's o.k. I was also told to simutantiously hold down the CTRL button with #4. I haven't tried that one----yet. These things pop up to steal your information so do NOT call or click on anything else "they" provide. Years ago---I did dial up the #800 and talked with a foreign guy. Somehow I had the for-sight to tell him I'd call him back (I didn't) and I hung up. A bit later I was told what these are. I just had a pop-up a week or so ago when I'd clicked on, what I thought was, an article of----I can't recall it now---what may have been a current event. These guys are getting savvy with their phishing!! So, watch out with clicking links!!!
Old 01-28-2024, 08:02 AM

I just watched a new movie called the beekeeper and the theme is exactly what you described happened to you. The victim managed millions in others accounts that were all compromised. Good movie
Old 01-28-2024, 08:23 AM

You called?? uggggh Cyber Security Software and Anti-Malware | Malwarebytes
Old 01-28-2024, 09:19 AM
Default Hack Attempt

I have gotten this before and it is a little scary. Just turn off and reboot, all will be ok.

Quote:
I am back up but have no idea what actually happened with that. I was looking at a quote by a writer and then my computer starts blaring that I should not shut it down as it noted suspicious activity.

It happened while I could not get on Talk of the Villages today.

Wanted to make a note of it. I have no knowledge about what they were doing other than what the guy on the phone said they had been doing. Which I will keep to myself.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
You need to disconnect from the network and run a Malware and Advanced scan with the antivirus software.

Stay protected with Windows Security - Microsoft Support

This may take overnight to complete depending on your system.
I have done everything suggested on this thread.

Thanks.

They used a Will Rogers quote about bull to get in I believe as that is what I was clicking on when that very loud irritating message came on. I did turn it off to stop the noise but must have not waited long enough as it was there when I turned it back on.
Old 01-28-2024, 10:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
Or, just buy an Apple computer.
A big reason why I made the switch to Apple years ago. Yes, they cost much more than a $300 window machine. However, Apple does not pack it full of all that crapware that you get on a Windows machine, then the proprietary laptop manufacturer's crapware on top of Microsofts, plus 95% of the world's bugs, viruses, pop-ups, and hack attempts. Don't get me started on the long delays booting up or that blue screen of death or the freeze-out message "Don't touch your computer while Microsoft is updating Update 2 of 20."

Once you get used to navigating around on an Apple, you will never go back. So much less hassle, so much more pleasure using it. Smooth seamless updates, restores, backups, cloud storage, etc.

Nope, don't miss those windows based craptops and desktops one bit. Yes, they cost quite a bit more. Yes, they last me between 3 and 8 years (usually the battery is my issue) each which is much longer than a disposable windows machine. Yes, they are much more pleasant to use with far less hassle.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 01-28-2024, 10:44 AM
Default NO

unplug and take to Jacob's Computers of Wildwood do NOTHING with it - you cannot trust anything there

PS this is why you backup your pc now and then get syncbackfree
Old 01-28-2024, 11:15 AM
Default Sound advice!

[QUOTE=Dusty_Star;2295753]
Quote:

/QUOTE]

The very first thing you should do, if it ever happens again, is to disbelieve what the hackers are telling you. Meaning: SHUT IT DOWN immediately. Do not make note of the number they want you to call, do not call the number. Do not do anything they want you to do. Since you said it continued to blare after you shut it down, then power all of your computer equipment down. Some of the hackers are getting sophisticated, they are con men. If you feel guilty doing the exact opposite of what they instruct, then feel free to blame me.
Good luck battling them.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:12 PM

I would suggest that you bring your computer to Geek Squad or MMD in Lady Lake.

Tags
happened, computer, hacked, activity, called

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.