Windows put a loud message on computer that I had been hacked.

Closed Thread
Old 01-28-2024, 02:58 PM
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
...and then my computer starts blaring that I should not shut it down as it noted suspicious activity...
The guy I called said I had been hacked by someone in Beijing...
IT'S A SCAM!!!!!!! I have had this happen at least 4 times over the past few years. All I do is shut the computer OFF TOTALLY - regardless of what it said to do. Then I wait a bit and go about business as usual. DO NOT TALK TO THEM. DO NOT GIVE THEM ACCESS TO YOUR COMPUTER. DO NOT PROVIDE THEM WITH YOUR CREDIT CARD INFO (as they will guarantee that they can fix your problem).
Old 01-28-2024, 02:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,362 Times in 2,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtue51 View Post
I would suggest that you bring your computer to Geek Squad or MMD in Lady Lake.
I have changed important passwords and run a lot of safety measures. It should be OK but I will watch stuff very carefully.
Old 01-28-2024, 05:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,362 Times in 2,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneMigiano View Post
IT'S A SCAM!!!!!!! I have had this happen at least 4 times over the past few years. All I do is shut the computer OFF TOTALLY - regardless of what it said to do. Then I wait a bit and go about business as usual. DO NOT TALK TO THEM. DO NOT GIVE THEM ACCESS TO YOUR COMPUTER. DO NOT PROVIDE THEM WITH YOUR CREDIT CARD INFO (as they will guarantee that they can fix your problem).
I did not give them anything. My computer was frozen if I am remember correctly and I was very suspicious about the person who answered when I called the number.

They said they would notify the bank and police but I never told them which bank nor which police station.

The guy claimed someone had hacked my computer and was using my name to do criminal things.

They hung up eventually.

It still really makes me mad.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:29 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.
Thumbs up To be safe

You should pull your credit report for peace of mind.
Old 01-29-2024, 06:19 AM
Veteran member

“ I did not give them anything. My computer was frozen if I am remember correctly and I was very suspicious about the person who answered when I called the number.

They said they would notify the bank and police but I never told them which bank nor which police station.”

Sorry to say this, but they probably have all of this info now because they told you to run a program that ran for 15 minutes.
I have always been an Apple computer user since the 70’s, used Linux at work since 2000. I used to hire people that did Windows and they spent 1 weekend a month applying security patches to their windows servers and windows still get 99% of all the hacks.
Get LifeLock so it will alert you when any strange activity occurs in your bank accounts or brokerage accounts.
Old 01-29-2024, 06:32 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,569 Times in 602 Posts

[QUOTE=Taltarzac725;2295497]I will check the number I called to see if it was legit.[/QUOTE
I can tell you it wasn’t legit. They probably tried to hack into your computer and might have managed it. Why would you call a phone number not knowing what it is???]
Old 01-29-2024, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,941 Times in 930 Posts

Quote:
I am back up but have no idea what actually happened with that. I was looking at a quote by a writer and then my computer starts blaring that I should not shut it down as it noted suspicious activity.
One step to help thwart any hack is to NEVER save a financial account nor a password in the browser for autofill, no credit card numbers, etc. That is for what the hackers are trying to extract from your computer. Have a file not in a windows office file name, with account and passwords, and copy and paste both from there every time.

I have all mine saved in a text file with a programming language file extension of a very rarely used software. most would not recognize the file extension and its a text file.

Also use in private or other incognito browser sessions to eliminate the use of cookies and other saved information feature for financial web site use. .

good luck. .
Old 01-29-2024, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I did not give them much information. Just name.

I was very suspicious. I just wanted the loud stuff to shut off.

And I did not type anything. Just let it make noise.
That was absolutely a scam. NEVER call the number they give you. Just shut off the computer. It won't hurt anything. I repeat -NEVER CALL THE # THEY GIVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2024, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

control Alt delete together will delete those annoying messages. I had that also , along with a loud message that I could not turn off, shutting off the computer DID NOT work. scared the cr-p out of me! Control Alt Delete...remember that!, my computer guy told me this simple trick

Last edited by bowlingal; 01-29-2024 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-29-2024, 08:13 AM
Veteran member

HOLY WOW! most you guys are cyber security nightmares!!! nothing like making it super easy for the hackers, keep up the awesome work.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:48 AM

VIRUS! Take it to a computer store to have it fixed!
Old 01-29-2024, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,036 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote:
I am back up but have no idea what actually happened with that. I was looking at a quote by a writer and then my computer starts blaring that I should not shut it down as it noted suspicious activity.

The guy I called said I had been hacked by someone in Beijing. To my knowledge I know no one there.

It happened while I could not get on Talk of the Villages today.

Wanted to make a note of it. I have no knowledge about what they were doing other than what the guy on the phone said they had been doing. Which I will keep to myself.

Known scammers tactic trying to get you to Click or call and give them control access to your computer. Best to clear history shut computer off disconnect internet connection wait while for hard drive to spin down. And reboot. Windows full of back ground scammer site’s with catchy phrases get you to click on them.
Old 01-29-2024, 10:59 AM

Do Alt-Ctrl-Del then sign out then restart
Old 01-29-2024, 11:09 AM

If I should change to Firefox, will it carry over all my bookmarks and stored passwords? Of course I don't store finacial, etc passwords on my computer.
Old 01-29-2024, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,941 Times in 930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistymom View Post
If I should change to Firefox, will it carry over all my bookmarks and stored passwords? Of course I don't store finacial, etc passwords on my computer.
not sure, but don't save the account numbers either, not just passwords. . account numbers login screen names should NEVER appear automatically.
Closed Thread

Tags
happened, computer, hacked, activity, called

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.