Windows put a loud message on computer that I had been hacked.

Old 01-29-2024, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
Or, just buy an Apple computer.
That's what I did. My previous computer was old and useless just like I am becoming.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
That's what I did. My previous computer was old and useless just like I am becoming.
We had a Telikin which I still use on occasion when it works. It worked really well for my Dad except for the camera which could only get the top of his head unless he was standing up and way back.

Hard to have a COVID Dr. visit -- over the Internet only-- when the physician could only see my Dad's forehead and above.

Telikin : Simple, Easy to Use Touchscreen Computers for Seniors
Old 01-29-2024, 05:05 PM
Veteran member

To the Op, if you clicked any links, or anything on your screen or followed any instructions by the person on the phone, I would lock your credit. You can do this through Experian or some other credit agencies. If they gained access to your computer they could have your payment info and personal info. They may try to open credit accounts with that info. It's not enough to get your computer checked out. Watch your accounts carefully.
Old 01-29-2024, 05:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
To the Op, if you clicked any links, or anything on your screen or followed any instructions by the person on the phone, I would lock your credit. You can do this through Experian or some other credit agencies. If they gained access to your computer they could have your payment info and personal info. They may try to open credit accounts with that info. It's not enough to get your computer checked out. Watch your accounts carefully.
I will. Thanks.

I did not follow any instructions by the man who answered the number. He did not give any. He did have me on hold for 5 minutes which he said he was going to do. Then came on and said I had been hacked by someone in Beijing and that this person was doing illegal stuff using my name. He said they would contact the police and the bank but I never gave him any information except that the bank was close and so were the police. Then he must have hung up. I gave them my name and spelled it.

I then ran a scrub using Windows. And then also used a 15 minute more extensive cleansing. And then put some other stuff on computer.

I did want to document this though. That is why I put it on Talk of the Villages as well as to keep it happening to others on Talk of the Villages.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 01-29-2024 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2024, 10:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I will. Thanks.

I did not follow any instructions by the man who answered the number. He did not give any. He did have me on hold for 5 minutes which he said he was going to do. Then came on and said I had been hacked by someone in Beijing and doing illegal stuff using my name. He said they would contact the police and the bank but I never gave him any information except that the bank was close and so were the police. Then he must have hung up. I gave them my name and spelled it.

I then ran a scrub using Windows. And then also used a 15 minute more extensive cleansing. And then put some other stuff on computer.

I did want to document this though. That is why I put it on Talk of the Villages as well as to keep it happening to others on Talk of the Villages.
Did you allow access to your computer? If you did take hammer to it. windows security about as go as sifter holding water.
Old 01-29-2024, 10:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Did you allow access to your computer? If you did take hammer to it. windows security about as go as sifter holding water.
There is not much on my computer in my name. I am on Talk of the Villages obviously and on some places like Facebook.

We will see. I will keep on close watch on things. I often have to change passwords.
Old 01-30-2024, 09:06 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I am back up but have no idea what actually happened with that. I was looking at a quote by a writer and then my computer starts blaring that I should not shut it down as it noted suspicious activity.

The guy I called said I had been hacked by someone in Beijing. To my knowledge I know no one there.

It happened while I could not get on Talk of the Villages today.

Wanted to make a note of it. I have no knowledge about what they were doing other than what the guy on the phone said they had been doing. Which I will keep to myself.
"That guy that you spoke with is most likely a scammer in an office in India. Do not contact or click on any link.
Old 01-30-2024, 09:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
"That guy that you spoke with is most likely a scammer in an office in India. Do not contact or click on any link.
I will not again.

I am new to Windows. At least since 2011 or so. We did have Windows before that.

Tags
happened, computer, hacked, activity, called

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.