Windows Upgraded Persistence

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2016, 04:46 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Windows Upgraded Persistence

Windows began by asking me if I wanted Windows 10 and provided an option to accept or deny.

For the last two days they now demand that I accept Windows 10 and the only options are begin the upgrade now or within the next 3 days. There are no close buttons.

I don't want Windows 10.

Has anyone experienced this same invasion, and if so have they found a why to beat it?

The only manner, and its temporary, in which I found to delay it is to do an immediate shut down.

This window from Windows continues to appear and it is annoying
Old 05-24-2016, 05:22 AM

Try this site:How to Remove, Block and Prevent "Get Windows 10" Application for Enterprise Environments | Charles Allen’s Blog
Google is better at giving answers than TOTV.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:46 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Thank you
Old 05-24-2016, 05:57 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Do it quick. My upgrade started without asking me.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:31 AM

mine upgraded and I could not stop it. but i will tell you it is not much different from what i can tell so far. it did take 2 hours to install
Old 05-24-2016, 06:39 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,783 Times in 3,649 Posts

My IT guy told me to do it. It's free until July. There were some changes, but it was not significant.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,666 Times in 943 Posts

Yep. Turned my computer on a few days back. Came back after making coffee. Upgrade in progress. I did not want it. However, I have had no problems with W10. And, it's actually kinda nice knowing I have the latest and greatest. So, I'm OK with it.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:24 PM
Gold member

GRC | Never10
Old 05-25-2016, 04:33 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Thank you nomosno.

I am upset that a corporation is allowed to invade my privacy without asking my permission. the least they could do before ravaging me is to give me a kiss
Old 05-25-2016, 06:51 AM
Sage

What I encountered is that Microsoft moved Win10 from an upgrade into the update section so that if you have your computer set to install updates automatically, it will install Win10 without your knowledge or approval. I wanted to wait until the first service pack for Win10 came out to install it and was thankful I have it set to download updates, but not install them until I tell it to do so. I had to keep unchecking the Win10 box to keep it from installing it.

Now that I've installed Win10 and got used to the tiles, it's an improvement from Win7 as far as I'm concerned.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Thank you nomosno.

I am upset that a corporation is allowed to invade my privacy without asking my permission. the least they could do before ravaging me is to give me a kiss
You did agree to it in your EULA. Sorry you (nor any other sane person) read it.

The fact is Windows 10 is a HUGE improvement over 8.x and even 7. Even more so for the folks with Pro who know how to play with Hyper-V.

There simply is no valid reason for any home user to stay on 7 (of any flavor), and even more so no reason to not go to 10 from 8.x as they taste the same...only 10 is better.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Now that I've installed Win10 and got used to the tiles, it's an improvement from Win7 as far as I'm concerned.
While I sympathize with those who've ended up with an unintended upgrade and deplore the tactics that MS has used to maximize Windows 10 install counts in this whole affair, I think what you said is the bottom line.

Yes, on first glance, the Windows 10 user interface is quite a bit different (especially so for those coming from Windows 7, but from Windows 8.x, not so much). However, there are a few simple tweaks you can make to put a lot of things pretty much back the way they were. I'd be happy to advise on that subject. I'm a so-called Windows Insider (translation, I enjoy living on the bleeding edge) and am very familiar with customizing Windows. There are some very nice usability improvements to the start menu coming in the so-called "anniversary update" coming in July (though still no option to turn the tiles off altogether ;-).

But aside from all the user interface issues, the underlying operating system is quite a bit better than Windows 7 and 8.x and I'm glad I upgraded as well.
--
Bob C
Old 05-25-2016, 05:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record10ti View Post
You did agree to it in your EULA. Sorry you (nor any other sane person) read it.

The fact is Windows 10 is a HUGE improvement over 8.x and even 7. Even more so for the folks with Pro who know how to play with Hyper-V.

There simply is no valid reason for any home user to stay on 7 (of any flavor), and even more so no reason to not go to 10 from 8.x as they taste the same...only 10 is better.
Sorry, I don't agree.
My laptop is 4 yrs old. Everything is working fine.
I'll upgrade to 10 in a few years, when I replace it.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:06 PM

I was told at the Microsoft store that it is free for only the first year. After that, we will all have to buy it. I asked if I can go back to Windows 8 at that point. Unfortunately, that will happen only if I buy it again. No thanks! It downloaded on my husband's computer but never installed because he wouldn't accept their terms.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
I was told at the Microsoft store that it is free for only the first year. After that, we will all have to buy it. I asked if I can go back to Windows 8 at that point. Unfortunately, that will happen only if I buy it again. No thanks! It downloaded on my husband's computer but never installed because he wouldn't accept their terms.
You got bad information. You can ALWAYS go back to the OS that shipped with your system - ALWAYS (presuming you made the ERD). You also have 30 days from the time you install 10 to cycle back (and maybe even save the directory to USB and you have as long as you want).

The terms are no different than they were for 7 and 8...If you buy 10 you can legally install Windows 95 if you want (and have the media). For those on 7...look at the system, you will see a license number sticker. You can ALWAYS go back to that - period. 8 had no sticker as the license is build into the system itself.
Closed Thread

Tags
windows, accept, days, found, experienced

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.