Windows Upgraded Persistence

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2016, 06:26 PM

Mike I agree went to get my coffee and the download had started,checked and it is now an update.
Big Brother in the sky type of thing. it updated all my drivers that needed updates.Have not found any
problems "so far " .Fairly well beat this in the ground,all files are still on board and stored info still intact.
As they say "kick start it and see what happens" .End of life sort of thing.lol software eol.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fofd1091 View Post
Mike I agree went to get my coffee and the download had started,checked and it is now an update.
Big Brother in the sky type of thing. it updated all my drivers that needed updates.Have not found any
problems "so far " .Fairly well beat this in the ground,all files are still on board and stored info still intact.
As they say "kick start it and see what happens" .End of life sort of thing.lol software eol.
Once you get rid of the moronic "bloatware" icons from the start menu, put in what you want...suddenly everyone likes 10. Depending on your brand of system you may get more or less bloatware.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I miss this garbage. One word "APPLE".
Old 05-26-2016, 04:33 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I have read everyone's comments. And what I read was Greek. I don't speak or write Greek. And I am not one bit interested in being a Greek.

I know and understand windows 7. It serves my purpose. some posters tell horror stories of their Win 10 download. I know enough about computers to get myself into trouble but not how to uninstall an issue.

As to agreeing to the fine print I don't recall that the same contract was presented to me for installing Win 10.

I am getting annoyed with MS and will search out an apple on my next go around

I mean why does a consumer have to be hassled in such a manner. and you do know that Win 10 was designed to extract even more personal information from your unit with every keystroke . MS may be listening to me right now
Old 05-26-2016, 04:36 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
NoMoSno: I downloaded Never Ten. I then clicked on it and my computer asked if I would accept changes.

My question to you is if I proceed will the program explain what it does and doesn't do, etc before I proceed. In other words I would like a preview before the performance?
thanks
Old 05-26-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I don't agree.
My laptop is 4 yrs old. Everything is working fine.
I'll upgrade to 10 in a few years, when I replace it.
I agree if your system is running fine with Windows 7 there's no compelling reason to upgrade to 10 (at least until Microsoft stops issuing security updates for it), especially if your hardware is "older". Even though my upgrades to 10 have all gone fairly smoothly, there's just too many things that can go wrong in the process to make it worth the potential disruption that might occur.

However, despite what most people think, it is correct that if at some time in the past someone set their Windows Update options such that they agreed to accept both critical AND recommended updates (which is NOT the default) that when Microsoft made Windows 10 a recommended update, that prior action effectively gave them permission to push Windows 10 to the machine in question. However, the fact that if someone sued over this that Microsoft would easily win in no way excuses what they did (from a moral perspective). Don't get mad, learn the lesson and move on (turn OFF automatic installation of recommended updates and also get a copy of "Never10" and run it).
--
Bob C
Old 05-26-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
NoMoSno: I downloaded Never Ten. I then clicked on it and my computer asked if I would accept changes.

My question to you is if I proceed will the program explain what it does and doesn't do, etc before I proceed. In other words I would like a preview before the performance?
thanks
All it does is set various registry options that Microsoft has provided (mostly for its corporate customers) to prevent the installation of Windows 10. It also optionally allows you to have it delete any bits of Windows 10 that may already have been downloaded to your machine (which can consume many gigabytes of your hard disk space). The author of the tool, Steve Gibson, is a highly respected (by most) security-focused software developer. Completely trustworthy in my opinion.
--
Bob C
Old 05-26-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
you do know that Win 10 was designed to extract even more personal information from your unit with every keystroke . MS may be listening to me right now
Despite the breathless, overhyped reports, the information that Windows 10 collects is generally not personally-identifiable and is intended to help Microsoft improve the system going forward.
--
Bob C
Old 05-26-2016, 11:41 AM
Gold member

Doesn't really explain what it's doing, but this may give some insight:
Never10 is a free app for when you absolutely, positively don't want Windows 10 | PCWorld
Blocking Windows 10 with Never10 | Computerworld
never10 - Google Search
Old 05-26-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexxfan View Post
Despite the breathless, overhyped reports, the information that Windows 10 collects is generally not personally-identifiable and is intended to help Microsoft improve the system going forward.
--
Bob C
You are 100% correct. That is why when you install W10 you need to go to "Advanced" setup, uncheck all of the telemetry stuff, NOT sign in with a Microsoft account (local or domain accounts only)...but, it does require not just hitting the "next" key over and again.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record10ti View Post
You are 100% correct. That is why when you install W10 you need to go to "Advanced" setup, uncheck all of the telemetry stuff, NOT sign in with a Microsoft account (local or domain accounts only)...but, it does require not just hitting the "next" key over and again.
Yes, if you do not feel like contributing your systems data to the non-personally-identifiable telemetry, it is a lot of work to turn it off. More than it should be. I can't be bothered to do that though, I actually think it is a GOOD idea to help them improve the system. It only benefits me in the long run.
--
Bob C
Old 05-26-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Or just go to the source (though maybe not if you're not prepared to deal with the sort of highly technical material you typically find on Steve's site).

GRC | Never10
--
Bob C
Old 05-26-2016, 11:55 AM

I appreciate the information you have posted. I did go in last night and stopped automatic upgrades. I am running 7 and have a lot of games and an older version of Microsoft Outlook (2007) and am afraid I would lose those. Newer versions of Outlook do not provide a couple options that I really like for my job/scheduling, etc. I am interested in your opinion of Never 10 I have been looking at same, but not being that great w/computers I was leery of downloading same. Do you feel it is user-friendly for a fairly literate user?
Old 05-26-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexxfan View Post
Yes, if you do not feel like contributing your systems data to the non-personally-identifiable telemetry, it is a lot of work to turn it off. More than it should be. I can't be bothered to do that though, I actually think it is a GOOD idea to help them improve the system. It only benefits me in the long run.
--
Bob C

What is fun is watching everyone afraid Microsoft is collecting information when in reality the biggest culprits are Comcast and Cox. Heck, THIS website is all over the internet. This is a current screenshot of the traffic that TOTV has on its homepage.

The Villages Florida
Old 05-26-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inexes@aol.com View Post
I appreciate the information you have posted. I did go in last night and stopped automatic upgrades. I am running 7 and have a lot of games and an older version of Microsoft Outlook (2007) and am afraid I would lose those. Newer versions of Outlook do not provide a couple options that I really like for my job/scheduling, etc. I am interested in your opinion of Never 10 I have been looking at same, but not being that great w/computers I was leery of downloading same. Do you feel it is user-friendly for a fairly literate user?
I have not seen a single app that will run on 7 and not 10. Office 2003 runs on W10, so that is not an issue.
Closed Thread

Tags
windows, accept, days, found, experienced

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.