Wiping Hard Drive

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2023, 07:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisahathy View Post
What are the steps to converting Windows to Linux Mint? Thanks!
Download the software, make a bootable thumb drive or CD, boot it up, click install.

They offer three “flavors” of the latest version. I use the full featured version, Cinnamon, on my 2012 Dell, and a 2013 Toshiba. If your computer is older, or has a Celeron processor, they also have a simpler version called Mate.

If your old computer is more modern and uses UFEI at boot, change it to BIOS boot for installation.

Confused? Just try it and see if you like it. If you run into anything too technical, there is lots of Linux help a Google away. In consulting help, know that Mint is a “Debian” or “Ubuntu” Linux, not “ Open Suse”.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
Husband got a new computer and we’d like to recycle his old all-in-one that runs on Windows 10. What is the best way to wipe the hard drive? Thanks.
I just physically remove my hard drives and can later add an enclosure and access them.
Of course that depends on how they are connected to your computer.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsondm View Post
I just physically remove my hard drives and can later add an enclosure and access them.
Of course that depends on how they are connected to your computer.
I am not certain, but I think that, if you move the hard drive that has Windows on it, the Windows program may not function because of security measures used by Microsoft. When you install Windows, Microsoft using a "fingerprint" method to identify the computer where it is being installed with identifiers, such as the motherboard, graphics card, etc.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 04-29-2023 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:17 AM

Axe, not difficult to get info. Or, landfill.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisahathy View Post
What are the steps to converting Windows to Linux Mint? Thanks!
Note that, if you use any Windows-based programs that reside on your hard drive, such as TurboTax or MS Office, I don't think they will function with Linus Mint.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:55 AM

If your intent is to donate the “old” pc, then I would buy a new hard drive or ssd, depending on what the pc has, and by an enclosure for the old hard drive so you can use the old drive as a backup and also access any files currently on it. Install the new drive and reinstall windows back to the old m machine. Reinstall windows on a computer that was previously in use is cost free.
Old 04-29-2023, 09:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicTrucker View Post
If your intent is to donate the “old” pc, then I would buy a new hard drive or ssd, depending on what the pc has, and by an enclosure for the old hard drive so you can use the old drive as a backup and also access any files currently on it. Install the new drive and reinstall windows back to the old m machine. Reinstall windows on a computer that was previously in use is cost free.
I don't think you can move the old hard drive to a new enclosure and reinstall Windows. The Windows license has changed and it only allows the program to be installed on one computer. If you move the hard drive to another computer, I think you need to buy another Windows software program. That is because Microsoft records attributes of your computer and will not allow the program to be installed on a different machine. In the past, you owned a Windows program and you could move it to a new computer. But, I don't think the license allows that anymore.

Also, if you buy a new hard drive for the old enclosure, you will need to buy another Windows program, unless you want to reinstall the old Windows program on the new hard drive. Very complicated. Read the Windows license.
Old 04-29-2023, 10:25 AM
Default Wipe old Hard Drive

This thread has stupidly and needlessly descended into politics. Y'all need to get a life.
Closed Thread

Tags
drive, hard, wiping, wipe, windows

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.