Connecting Netflix on older TV

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2014, 03:24 PM
Sage
Default Connecting Netflix on older TV

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-W87CUN-Fire-TV-Stick/dp/B00GDQ0RMG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1416428131&sr=8-8&keywords=watch+netflix]Fire TV Stick - Official Site - Shop Now[/ame]

I need help connecting streaming Netflix to an older TV. We have wi fi in the house. I am thinking of buying the Amazon Firestick to do it but it requires a USB port and my older LCD 32" 1080p TV doesn't have a USB port. There are other ports along the side of the TV. Are there adapters and also I wouldn't know which port to plug it into. Any ideas since this isn't a smart TV.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Location: Atlanta GA / Sabal Chase -TV / Home Town : Buffalo NY

Do you have an HDMI port? or R-G-B (red blue green) jacks or just a composite video input?

If you have HDMI --- I recommend Google ChromeCast ($30 or so)

If not maybe a 2nd generation Roku2 (around 40 to 50)
Old 11-19-2014, 05:34 PM
Veteran member

You can buy a new 32" smart tv with all the bells and whistles for a lot lesS than $300. Then you wouldn't need the streaming device.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:54 PM
Gold member
Default Why not get discs.

Or you can just get Netflix discs instead of streaming. We currently have an older TV (not even a flat screen)! in Ohio in the summer. We don't bother to switch to streaming when we get to TV.

Between the discs and what we record, we have more than enough TV to watch.

My daughter also thinks there is more available on disc than streaming, but it's true there are some things that are only streamed (I think).
Old 11-19-2014, 06:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
You can buy a new 32" smart tv with all the bells and whistles for a lot lesS than $300. Then you wouldn't need the streaming device.
For TV's we don't usually replace them until they are broken. This one works perfect. Seems like the investment will only be $30 so the TV is worth that investment.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Fire TV Stick - Official Site - Shop Now

I need help connecting streaming Netflix to an older TV. We have wi fi in the house. I am thinking of buying the Amazon Firestick to do it but it requires a USB port and my older LCD 32" 1080p TV doesn't have a USB port. There are other ports along the side of the TV. Are there adapters and also I wouldn't know which port to plug it into. Any ideas since this isn't a smart TV.
Problem solved. I found a usb port on the back of the TV. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:23 PM
Sage

I have a roku and I also connect directly into my laptop using an hdmi cable. How would you stream netflix using a usb connector? You helped me with cooking a time or two and I'd like to help you.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Problem solved. I found a usb port on the back of the TV. Thanks for all of your help.
Check your manual! Some usb ports on older TVs are not inputs, but are reserved for diagnostics or updates to the hardware.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I have a roku and I also connect directly into my laptop using an hdmi cable. How would you stream netflix using a usb connector? You helped me with cooking a time or two and I'd like to help you.
With the Amazon Firestick. It uses a USB to connect to the TV then it is wireless from there. See my first post. There is a link to it on Amazon. It's just $30. I have Amazon Fire TV on another television and it works great for Netflix. This is just a cheaper version of the Fire TV.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
With the Amazon Firestick. It uses a USB to connect to the TV then it is wireless from there. See my first post. There is a link to it on Amazon. It's just $30. I have Amazon Fire TV on another television and it works great for Netflix. This is just a cheaper version of the Fire TV.

Read more: Amazon Fire TV Stick hands-on with video | Digital Trends
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

i have to go out and i'll be back later. but i just read about it and the review raved.

i'm back. it looks like a great product. i didn't realize that it uses an hdmi input for audio and video and it uses the tv usb input to power the device. they also provide an adapter that converts 120vac [outlet] voltage to usb power just in case your tv does not have usb or not enough power provided by your usb. if i didn't have so much invested in roku i might have made tha amazon switch.

Last edited by tomwed; 11-19-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Check your manual! Some usb ports on older TVs are not inputs, but are reserved for diagnostics or updates to the hardware.
I agree. Until about 2 months ago, I had a 46 inch Samsung from 2009, which had a USB port... flash drive or usb cable would fit it, but it would NOT input video, just audio. The TV did not have software to allow video to be input thru that port.

OP, Be sure to check your manual!
Old 11-19-2014, 07:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Read more: Amazon Fire TV Stick hands-on with video | Digital Trends
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

i have to go out and i'll be back later. but i just read about it and the review raved.
Thanks for the video. It really sounds great. It looked like I could plug it into the wall instead of using the USB if I needed to.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Thanks for the video. It really sounds great. It looked like I could plug it into the wall instead of using the USB if I needed to.
A usb port also provides power to the device. I suspect that the reference to plugging it into the wall is in regards to powering the dvice...You still need to get the video into the TV
Old 11-20-2014, 08:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
you may have missed this. when i got back i edited my post.

i'm back. it looks like a great product. i didn't realize that it uses an hdmi input for audio and video and it uses the tv usb input to power the device. they also provide an adapter that converts 120vac [outlet] voltage to usb power just in case your tv does not have usb or not enough power provided by your usb. if i didn't have so much invested in roku i might have made tha amazon switch.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:27 PM
Sage

Well I've decided to go on the cheap. I have a wii that we do not use. I'm going to hook it up to the TV and access the Netflix through the wii. The Firestick does look great though for anyone looking. I bought the Fire TV for $99 earlier this year and love that on our other TV. Thanks for all of your help. It's good to know I have such a wealth of information at my fingertips. If you all need any cooking tips that's my specialty.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.