Xfinity 1000 Internet speed is it real?p

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2021, 11:16 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Why am I slower?
You look pretty good to me. How much download speed are you paying for?
Old 02-04-2021, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
High definition streaming maxes out around 8mbits and most run 4-6mbits. A 25mbit connection can handle 3+ of these simultaneously. 4k streaming requires around 23mbits.

A gigabit connection can support 80+ high def streams, and dozens of browsers all at the same time. I.e your entire neighborhood.

If you need to reset or restart your equipment, get better equipment. My routers are on battery backups and typically only get rebooted for firmware updates. I.e annually at best.

If you are using equipment provided by xfinity/Comcast or any cable provider, understand it's the cheapest garbage they can rent to you and still provide a minimum QOS.
The problem with these numbers is that it's assuming that each device is wired directly to the modem, without the use of a router or wifi network in the house.

Any of those devices that connect via the router/wifi, will receive data significantly slower than the device wired to the modem.

And the more non-wired devices you have, the slower the entire household network becomes.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:50 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
You look pretty good to me. How much download speed are you paying for?
and "What device is that screenshot from? Are you hardwired to the router? What router are you using? Is it a cable modem/wifi device from xfinity?"

I am direct from my new I7-10700 computer through rj45 to a Netgear C6300 AC1750 cable modem that I own. I was paying $70 for 600 download speed. They just increased my rates with no change in speed which I am not too happy about.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:59 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
and "What device is that screenshot from? Are you hardwired to the router? What router are you using? Is it a cable modem/wifi device from xfinity?"

I am direct from my new I7-10700 computer through rj45 to a Netgear C6300 AC1750 cable modem that I own. I was paying $70 for 600 download speed. They just increased my rates with no change in speed which I am not too happy about.

From the Xfinity modem/router, Cat 6e wired to the router.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The problem with these numbers is that it's assuming that each device is wired directly to the modem, without the use of a router or wifi network in the house.

Any of those devices that connect via the router/wifi, will receive data significantly slower than the device wired to the modem.

And the more non-wired devices you have, the slower the entire household network becomes.
There are two parts to this equation. The speed to the router and the speed of the router to the world. A corollary is how fast the router is.

Most routers, even cheap ones will maintain a 2.4ghz connection from 50 to 450mbit to every device on the wifi network. The bottleneck is almost never local. If you have 5+ continously streaming devices on your wifi network, you need a router designed to handle the traffic. Even a $30 router can handle two streams plus a gaggle of other devices like your tablets, kindle, thermostats, etc.

That said, if you want assured quality of service buy a good router.

If you notice a drop in speed when multiple people are using your wifi, its most likely a cheapo router.

If you are doing frequent gigabyte game patches a faster link makes a difference. For a couple streams and a tablet it does not.
Closed Thread

Tags
mhz, xfinity, speed, download, internet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.