$150 for weeding?

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2014, 11:35 PM
Default $150 for weeding?

After buying our new home in tv January of this year, we contracted with a well known lawn service company for both mowing and pest control. We have been away from the house since March. I received a call from one of the mowers a couple weeks ago informing me that our beds are now full of weeds and asked if I wanted him to pull them. I said yes and he said he would text me photos. I received the photo below (which does look like a lot of unruly grass in this one narrow bed) plus another photo of the large bed in the front of the house, which only had a few odd weeds growing here and there and didn't look bad at all. Along with this photo he said: "our normal price to maintain your beds would be $245 year. But since the back is so bad I would have to charge you an extra $150 time cleanup fee". I texted him back and said: "$150 seems very steep for one weeding. I would be willing to start your yearly weed service & pay the $245 if you start the service now. Not to mention you have only half the yard to mow now with our new pool added."

We did contract with T&D pools before leaving in March and now a large portion of our yard is full with a pool, concrete pad and bird cage. This saves our lawn mowing guys a lot of extra steps and therefore less time time with our yard now.

There was a final resolve to this story, but at this point I'm curious to hear opinions of what others in tv would say, or do, if they got this message from their lawn care provider.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	43497  
Old 06-29-2014, 06:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The20Percent View Post
After buying our new home in tv January of this year, we contracted with a well known lawn service company for both mowing and pest control. We have been away from the house since March. I received a call from one of the mowers a couple weeks ago informing me that our beds are now full of weeds and asked if I wanted him to pull them. I said yes and he said he would text me photos. I received the photo below (which does look like a lot of unruly grass in this one narrow bed) plus another photo of the large bed in the front of the house, which only had a few odd weeds growing here and there and didn't look bad at all. Along with this photo he said: "our normal price to maintain your beds would be $245 year. But since the back is so bad I would have to charge you an extra $150 time cleanup fee". I texted him back and said: "$150 seems very steep for one weeding. I would be willing to start your yearly weed service & pay the $245 if you start the service now. Not to mention you have only half the yard to mow now with our new pool added."

We did contract with T&D pools before leaving in March and now a large portion of our yard is full with a pool, concrete pad and bird cage. This saves our lawn mowing guys a lot of extra steps and therefore less time time with our yard now.

There was a final resolve to this story, but at this point I'm curious to hear opinions of what others in tv would say, or do, if they got this message from their lawn care provider.
Weed removal
Old 06-29-2014, 06:42 AM
Sage

Believe it or not your pool barely makes a dent in the amount of work they now do. These guys fly through the yards so fast on the mowers eliminating part of the yard really isn't a bleep on the radar screen. I agree $150 is ridiculous. Weeds, especially grass are a big problem in beds here.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:

Weeds grow bigger, quicker and healthier here in Florida than anything you can imagine. I have a weeder (monthly retainer) and in the winter I bite my nails because there is nothing to weed, but once the heat and humidity set in those weeds have a life of their own. I was gone for 10 days and when I got back just the regular garden bushes had grown over the front path!

The house next door to me sold in April in a pristine condition, everything neatly trimmed and no weeds. Right now it is a jungle.

Try to find someone to weed by the month.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-29-2014, 06:58 AM
Platinum member

Not that bad. Generally it's $25 per hour per man.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:30 AM
Sage

I have become someone who always asks up front "what will it cost?." If they tell me they don't know until they do the job, I move on. At least look for an estimate so you have something to work from. If they are over significantly when the bill comes, you can call the out. I have had one too many unexpected surprises.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I guess the lesson is to get prices for all services before you buy (need the service) , especially if you will not be here full-time.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:37 AM
Dancing Thyme

I find year-round weeding is necessary here (also was in Los Angeles). In my current house, I hire a weeder/trimmer who does a complete, excellent job for me 2 x a year (usually). I have a very large weeping willow in my front yard, lots of shrubs and smaller trees, and there are shrubs 360 degrees around my house. Everything needs trimming at least 2x a year and weeding as well. Joe charges me around $300-400 depending upon how much trimming I want him to do each time. I'm a very fussy gardener so its very important for someone to trim just the way I like it, and he does.

In my new villa, I decided to hire someone to mow and weed every week as I think it will be easier for him in the long run and I will not have to look at any weeds ever (sigh of relief). Joe will continue to trim a few times a year for me in the villa.

These are things you need to address and communicate up front with your contractors at the beginning of their service. I refuse to pay by yearly contract, so they charge me monthly or by when needed.

When you live in a warmer climate 12 months a year, weeding and mowing are a norm year round. Just something to plan for to live here.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 07-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Yikes, that seems too expensive! Consider using Preen for Southern Lawns (a preemergent that kills the seed as it germinates) and ROundup (be careful that you don't spray plants that you want to keep). These two things in combination will go a long way in keeping the weeds down and the cost will be about $50 for the giant size of both.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:50 PM
Sage

We pay a neighbor (who lives about a mile and a half away) $10/Wk to check the house during the summer when we are evading the humidity by going to Norcal. She includes weeding.

She also does my cousin's house up the street 4 doors. (and watches our cats when we are away on short trips)

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 07-21-2014, 01:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

My jaw dropped when I read some of these prices that are being charged for weeding.
And thank you, Gracie for adding posts from that old thread regarding the price of weeding.
It just indicates to me that some of these companies or individuals think
all Villagers have deep pockets and will pay what they say.
Well, it seems in some cases, that appears to be true.

There used to be an old saying, "If you have to ask how much, you can't afford it."
Well, that is baloney -- particularly with some of the costs today.
Shame on us if we don't ask how much!

I hope the OP, "The20Percent," will fill us in on the rest of the story,
i.e., who the weed thief is and how it was resolved.

This entire subject has given me food for thought.
I think I'll go into the weeding business!
Old 07-21-2014, 08:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The issue here is NOT the annual fee to take care of weeds in someones flower beds but the initial work involved to clean out the heavy growth of weeds and grass that now exist.

One should not expect to pay minimal prices for the inital clean out. Even if you use Roundup or some grass and weed killer, you have 2 problems 1) if you spray too close to the plants (or soak the soil) you will kill the plant also and since grass is all over and under the plants, it is very likely to happpen, and 2) roundup will kill the grass but you still have the unsightly mess of dead grass and weeds that need to be pulled.

There is no easy answer except to stay on top of this problem and YES it is a problem here even if if you landscaper initially put down black mesh weed block . Pay now or pay later or the other option is if you think the price is too high do it yourself..but be forewarned, it is a back breaker. The longer you wait the more serious the problem gets especially with all the rain we are getting.

The $150 sounds like a one-time-fee then normal maintenance....most reputable companies will be in that range.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Just a thought about our weeds, or any weeds, for that matter.

Usually, the weeds that have grown much higher, are easier to pull than the short, close to-the-ground ones.

Just because they are tall doesn't mean that anyone should charge more.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Just a thought about our weeds, or any weeds, for that matter.

Usually, the weeds that have grown much higher, are easier to pull than the short, close to-the-ground ones.

Just because they are tall doesn't mean that anyone should charge more.
If the weeds are getting taller...they most likely are spreading and the roots getting deeper...especially if its grass. The worse it looks the more likely someone will charge you more for there are easier jobs around the corner.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.