$250 to flush hot water tank

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2023, 11:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
What do you think? Village Plumber wants my feedback. $250 to flush 40 gallon tank. Took about an hour with a hose. No parts, no installation.
Chicken feed.
Just wait til l you have or have your irrigation backflow valve replaced.
Old 12-08-2023, 05:01 AM
Veteran member

What I'm going to suggest is somewhat off the topic. I had a water purified system install for the entire house, which was not cheap. Twice a year someone comes out and replaces my filter for $100, something I could do myself if I wasn't so lazy. Now the reason I'm bringing this up is when they installed it, they cleared my hot water tank and told me that it would never have to be clear again. Now you might believe that was just a sales pitch, but I was also changing my refrigerator water filter every 6 months. My frig would give me a warning that the filter had to be change and of course I would ignore it, until the flow would start to slow down to a trickle. I haven't changed it in years. Maybe you should look into this, not only will you not have to clear your tank every so many years, but you'll also have clean water running throughout your house.
Old 12-08-2023, 05:43 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

ouch , 800-1000 to have it replaced !
don't call them rip off artists again
Old 12-08-2023, 05:52 AM

The replacement price you are mentioning is for tankless or tank?
Old 12-08-2023, 06:07 AM

Quote:
What do you think? Village Plumber wants my feedback. $250 to flush 40 gallon tank. Took about an hour with a hose. No parts, no installation.
that's insane! it is very easy to flush a water tank and as you said - what takes the longest is waiting for the water and sediment to come out
Old 12-08-2023, 06:31 AM

There are a few Villages facebook groups where this is discussed and it seems the going price is $50-$75.
Old 12-08-2023, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
What I'm going to suggest is somewhat off the topic. I had a water purified system install for the entire house, which was not cheap. Twice a year someone comes out and replaces my filter for $100, something I could do myself if I wasn't so lazy. Now the reason I'm bringing this up is when they installed it, they cleared my hot water tank and told me that it would never have to be clear again. Now you might believe that was just a sales pitch, but I was also changing my refrigerator water filter every 6 months. My frig would give me a warning that the filter had to be change and of course I would ignore it, until the flow would start to slow down to a trickle. I haven't changed it in years. Maybe you should look into this, not only will you not have to clear your tank every so many years, but you'll also have clean water running throughout your house.
I agree and love our water now. For those that say there is no need for this, we always had a layer of film on the top of hot drinks and the iced tea pitcher and well, maybe it won’t kill me but the the pitchers and glasses no longer attract this film.

And don’t hate on Villages Plumber, $250 is probably the lowest price they charge for a trip to the house. They did a two day project for me and after various quotes with other plumbers, they were the average price but they were able to show up sooner than most.

I was able to just remove the filter from the fridge as I read somewhere that you don’t need it with whole house filtration systems although some fridges squawk if no filter is in place.

I change my house filters myself once a year for $85.
Old 12-08-2023, 06:46 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Sorry

Quote:
So sorry you ran into such a con. There seem to be more and more scammers these days. Thank you for posting, hopefully no one else gets hit by these crooks!

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 12-08-2023, 06:51 AM
Default The Village Plumber

I would never hire him again he was at my house for 30 minutes parts were probably about 20 bucks and charge me $250 stupidly on my part for not asking the price up front.
Old 12-08-2023, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie123 View Post
I agree and love our water now. For those that say there is no need for this, we always had a layer of film on the top of hot drinks and the iced tea pitcher and well, maybe it won’t kill me but the the pitchers and glasses no longer attract this film.

And don’t hate on Villages Plumber, $250 is probably the lowest price they charge for a trip to the house. They did a two day project for me and after various quotes with other plumbers, they were the average price but they were able to show up sooner than most.

I was able to just remove the filter from the fridge as I read somewhere that you don’t need it with whole house filtration systems although some fridges squawk if no filter is in place.

I change my house filters myself once a year for $85.
A plumber who charges $250 as a minimum trip charge could not stay in business. I believe that the going rate is closer to $85. But, this job doesn't even require a licensed plumber. They could have sent a helper or recommended a handyman.
Old 12-08-2023, 07:56 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

It's a thing in TV, when people ask questions like, "Who should I call to replace my garbage disposal in the sink?" Half the responses are this plumber or that plumber...... ridiculous. You can do it yourself, or get anyone of the Villages handypeople to come for way less than a plumber. I'm a woman, with no particular plumbing skills, and I've installed two of them myself, after watching a Youtube video. I'm sorry that happened to you Velvet, thank you for the heads up..... that overcharge hurt you a bit, but it will hurt Village Plumber a lot more in lost revenue because you mentioned it.
Old 12-08-2023, 07:57 AM
Default How Many Years?

Quote:
The water was not getting as hot as before. I have heard popping previously when the tank was heating. I was told it was deposits. The water temperature is the same as it was before so the flushing made no difference.
If flushing the tank did nothing, I expect it has been in service for years without having been flushed. If so, you have a deposit at the bottom of the tank that is like rock, which first has to be heated before it, in turn, heats the water.

Do you have a build-up of white deposits on your faucets? your shower head?. If so, the same thing is happening inside your water heater.

The solution to these problems is water softener and a canister water filter. There is a business which regularly advertises in the Daily Sun that sells and installs a softener and filter set. Everyone that has used them seems satisfied. My only objection is that they add a 3rd filter for heavy metals, which is not needed. The two filters you should have are one for chlorine and another for sediment. One word of advice--if you will be changing the filters yourself, have the smaller (10") filters installed as they are much easier to change than the large (20") filters. The smaller filters work just a well as the larger ones; however, you will have to change them more often, perhaps every 6 months vs 12 months.

A water softener is one of the best expenditures a homeowner can make. It will prevent "build-up" in your pipes, faucets, and water heater. In existing houses, a softener will, over time, reduce the existing deposits. The best part about a softener is that your laundry will be cleaner, there will be no soap scum in your shower or bathtub, and your hair and skin will both be cleaner and softer. Without a softener, the same soap scum that collects in your shower and bathtub will also be in your hair and on your skin.

Unless you are a skilled DIY'er, you'll need a plumber. If you don't use the company that advertises in the paper, Home Depot or Lowe's will provide one and guarantee their work.
Old 12-08-2023, 07:57 AM
Default WOW captive audience price

Last time we had ours done back in St John’s we paid $75. What do you think!
Quote:
Old 12-08-2023, 08:01 AM

Sounds like you thought it was No problem to do, just a hose no parts no install and a hour of someone else's time yet you did not want to do it then complain about a 250 charge? I dont get it??
Old 12-08-2023, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Installing a water softener and/or filter is a personal decision. But, I don't know of any evidence that it will affect the performance or lifespan of your water heater. My last water heater lasted over 20 years with no maintenance, and I only replaced it as part of an HVAC replacement project. I have never owned a water treatment system.
Closed Thread

Tags
$250, flush, parts, hose, hour

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.