$250 to flush hot water tank

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I just hired a handyman to do this and paid less than $100.
But don’t you have a tankless water heater in Richmond? She’s talking about a 40 gallon water heater tank.
Old 12-10-2023, 11:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Yes, it is for a 40-gallon electric water heater. Personally, I think it is a good price. Most homeowners could not even lift and remove the old tank. And then, you need to do the electrical and plumbing work to hook up the new one, including an expansion tank. I would gladly pay $875.
I usually emptied the electric water heater before I removed it. It’s simple job if and “BIG IF” you can do it and have skills.
Old 12-10-2023, 01:27 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlejsek@sbcglobal.net View Post
Total rip off. I have my HVAC company up north on a monthly contract of $20. They do a Spring and Fall clean and check on my AC and furnace and flush my tank for $240 yearly. Get away from that person!
Now THERE'S a total ripoff. $20/month to LOOK at your systems twice a year and flush a hot water tank every year that never needs flushing? Wow.

In my 70 years, I've owned at least 10 hot water tanks, most of them over 20 years old by the time I sold that house. Never in my life have I flushed a hot water tank or had one fail on me.

Here's a clue for how to save yourself the cost of three TV streaming services a year: Watch what he does, and then do it yourself next time.

The only useful thing you will see him do is blow the dust off your heating coils and check for debris in your A/C compressor outside. The most useless thing will be the H/W tank flush. The most damaging will be the A/C coolant check, which loses a little coolant every time they do it, thereby guaranteeing them a chance to sell you some $50/oz coolant every few years.
Old 12-10-2023, 11:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
Now THERE'S a total ripoff. $20/month to LOOK at your systems twice a year and flush a hot water tank every year that never needs flushing? Wow.

In my 70 years, I've owned at least 10 hot water tanks, most of them over 20 years old by the time I sold that house. Never in my life have I flushed a hot water tank or had one fail on me.

Here's a clue for how to save yourself the cost of three TV streaming services a year: Watch what he does, and then do it yourself next time.

The only useful thing you will see him do is blow the dust off your heating coils and check for debris in your A/C compressor outside. The most useless thing will be the H/W tank flush. The most damaging will be the A/C coolant check, which loses a little coolant every time they do it, thereby guaranteeing them a chance to sell you some $50/oz coolant every few years.
Refrigerant for my old A/C was $125 pound. I thought they was pumping liquid gold into it.
Old 12-11-2023, 06:18 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default R12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Refrigerant for my old A/C was $125 pound. I thought they was pumping liquid gold into it.
In some cases…the government banned certain types of refrigerants (Freon) because of environmental concerns. After R 12 was banned R 134 took its place. This made R 12 much more valuable. Most compressors on AC units couldn’t handle the new refrigerant so R 12 was the only option or just buy a brand new AC. Condensation rates and expansion valves weren’t compatible with transient mixes.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 12-11-2023, 06:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
In some cases…the government banned certain types of refrigerants (Freon) because of environmental concerns. After R 12 was banned R 134 took its place. This made R 12 much more valuable. Most compressors on AC units couldn’t handle the new refrigerant so R 12 was the only option or just buy a brand new AC. Condensation rates and expansion valves weren’t compatible with transient mixes.
As I understand it, the production of the old refrigerants was banned, but not the recycling of those refrigerants. So, when an older HVAC system is replaced, the old, obsolete refrigerant is reclaimed and resold as a recycled product. There is a good supply of the older refrigerants still available for purchase.
Old 12-11-2023, 06:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
$250 for a service call and an hour of a plumber's time. Seems about typical. The question is, why would you pay someone for a pointless, unneeded procedure that you could have easily done yourself with a garden hose and access to Google, if you were that worried about it.

If Village Plumber did something to trick you into paying them to flush your water heater, then shame on Village Plumber. But I can't blame them too much for taking your money if you called them up and asked them to do it.
In my experience, charging $250 to flush out a water heater is not typical, whether it is done by a plumber or not. It is overcharging.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:03 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
As I understand it, the production of the old refrigerants was banned, but not the recycling of those refrigerants. So, when an older HVAC system is replaced, the old, obsolete refrigerant is reclaimed and resold as a recycled product. There is a good supply of the older refrigerants still available for purchase.
Yes, remember in the mid 80s the old practice for repair was to vent all the Freon to the air, fix, vacuum and refill. Reclamation receiver equipment wasn’t/still isn’t cheap and loss of Freon was the original symptom to malfunctioning ACs. This made it less and less of a possibility to even repair systems. R 11 Chillers are a whole different story.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 12-11-2023, 07:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Yes, remember in the mid 80s the old practice for repair was to vent all the Freon to the air, fix, vacuum and refill. Reclamation receiver equipment wasn’t/still isn’t cheap and loss of Freon was the original symptom to malfunctioning ACs. This made it less and less of a possibility to even repair systems. R 11 Chillers are a whole different story.
I could be wrong, but I think it may now be illegal to vent the refrigerant to the air, and HVAC companies need to account for the refrigerant they remove from old systems.
Closed Thread

Tags
$250, flush, parts, hose, hour

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.