AC Insurance Contracts

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Platinum member
Default AC Insurance Contracts

In 2008, we took out a 10 year contract with Sun Kool. Today, Sun Kool confirmed that we have a leak both in the air-exchange coil in the garage and in the outside compressor. If I heard the tech correctly, he said between the diagnostic leak test, and parts and labor for the repair that we saved close to $2K with the contract. There's no cost to us for the repairs. I'm not a big fan of extended contracts but in this case I made an exception and gambled correctly and we'll more than recover the cost of the 10 year contract. With all of the recent publicity about AC leaks in the lines embedded in the cement slabs, I was betting that Sun Kool would find leaks in the lines. Just as a point of info, our CYV is coming up on 6 years this month. According to Sun Kool, an AC in Central FL lasts 10-12 years before you have to replace the entire unit.

George
Old 11-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Default I also called SunKool this week about checking for the copper underground

leak. I had rented my home for one week in July prior to the closing and had
over $800...to cover...the owner did give me $400 at closing, and left a thick packet of bills from them among the paperwork. 3 visits in one week to get ai the first week of hot July and no air.

I wanted to make sure I could be "in" for the line set replacement if that was to be necessary. I was told they would be happy to come out and check to see if there is a problem, BUT, if there was not, it would be a $300. fee.

Seems to me if the developer has owned up to a problem, and this company is the referring company, a lesser charge to customers could have been
negotiated. I'm not keenly interested in a 2 minute visit that could cost $300.nor am I interested in having a line set failure! Deliberation and decision is
underway.

Apparently I will be able to recontact them until 2017 if I feel a problem, so
I may just wait it out a bit. Not too interested in parting with $300 just now.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Veteran member

The previous owners took out the extended warranty on our AC. Glad they did. We have had several problems and Munn's took care of them without any cost to us. When we replace the unit, we will certainly take out the extended warranty feature.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Gold member

approx. how much for the extended warranty?
Old 11-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlegirl View Post
over $800...to cover...the owner did give me $400 at closing, and left a thick packet of bills from them among the paperwork. 3 visits in one week to get ai the first week of hot July and no air.

I wanted to make sure I could be "in" for the line set replacement if that was to be necessary. I was told they would be happy to come out and check to see if there is a problem, BUT, if there was not, it would be a $300. fee.

Seems to me if the developer has owned up to a problem, and this company is the referring company, a lesser charge to customers could have been
negotiated. I'm not keenly interested in a 2 minute visit that could cost $300.nor am I interested in having a line set failure! Deliberation and decision is
underway.

Apparently I will be able to recontact them until 2017 if I feel a problem, so
I may just wait it out a bit. Not too interested in parting with $300 just now.
What !!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlegirl View Post

The pressure test alone would have been $249 but as I saw it's not a five minute test. They have to cut the lines, braze them closed, and then pressurize each of the three sections of the AC system with Nitrogen up to 300 PSI. To allow for a minute leak, they run the test for 48 hours. They come back to check the pressure on each of the three sections. It's not brain surgery but Sun Kool techs appear to know what they're doing.

The point of my posting this experience was to state the obvious, it can cost big bucks to repair the AC without a contract.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
approx. how much for the extended warranty?
Our A/C was installed by Sunshine Air conditioning. We purchased the home new in May 2007 at that time the 10 year extended warranty was $566.
We had a leak in the evap coil in the garage and that had to be replaced Dec of 2009 with no cost to us.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Gold member
Default check with the BBB

Always check with the BBB when using or hiring a new contractor to see if there were any complants against them and if they were taken care of. I think a service contract on AC is a wise idea..Just make sure its an honest company that has been in bussiness for a while..also ask friends and neighbors if they have any recomendations.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.