Adding a window

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2019, 07:10 PM
Default Adding a window

I’m thinking of adding another window in my bedroom Gardenia model cement block. Any recommendations
Old 08-28-2019, 07:33 PM
Sage

First, check with ARC.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

OP, this may not be as simple as cutting hole and sticking in a window. You may need to have a concrete (or equivalent) header installed to support the roof, the house plans will be useful to determine this. Wiring should not be a problem, dust will be. I am not familiar with the building code, but our Gardenia appears to have the concrete block filled with concrete in the vicinity of window and door openings as well as a few other places. The Sumter County Building Department, in Pinellas Plaza can provide ypou will your house plans, and as noted above, call ARC first and submit plans for approval.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:11 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, this may not be as simple as cutting hole and sticking in a window. You may need to have a concrete (or equivalent) header installed to support the roof, the house plans will be useful to determine this. Wiring should not be a problem, dust will be. I am not familiar with the building code, but our Gardenia appears to have the concrete block filled with concrete in the vicinity of window and door openings as well as a few other places. The Sumter County Building Department, in Pinellas Plaza can provide ypou will your house plans, and as noted above, call ARC first and submit plans for approval.

I believe it's called a "steel Lentle"
Old 08-29-2019, 07:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Yes, I agree a lentle, the specific word slipped my mind, the original construction has a U shaped steel channel with rebar that is filled with concrete. The retrofit construction may be different depending on the building code, and the width of the opening. Also, I was assuming a concrete block house, which is what our Gardenia is. I am sure the requirement will be different for a wood or poured concrete construction.

Also, if you can get on their schedule, I would strongly suggest T&D for your project, you will waiting while, but I have seen 2 or 3 local projects from start to finish, and there were done very well.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:43 PM
Platinum member

We had a window added a couple of years ago. It will require a building permit from the county. If any fire codes have changed since your house was built, you may be required to meet the current codes as well. The county should be able to answer your questions.

Tags
adding, window, model, gardenia, cement

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.